• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Area Suppression Weapon (was Company Area Suppression Weapon)

medicineman said:
Some fecal cephalic cubicle dweller who'll never have to move it.

MM
Using the logic applied to this weapon you could extend it  and say the C3 Howitzer in a man portable weapons system!

GK .Dundas said:
Using the logic applied to this weapon you could extend it  and say the C3 Howitzer in a man portable weapons system!

I've seen people move a C-3...if they can move it 15 feet, it therefore must be portable, and maybe even further then.

MM

Back in the 80's, Soviet troops would lash the tripod of their AGS-17 to the turret roof or back deck of their BMP or BTR so they could mount the weapon and get some high angle fire against the Mujahideen perched on hill tops or other places the vehicle weapons could not reach.

Maybe we should start clearing space on the LAV deck...

medicineman said:
I've seen people move a C-3...if they can move it 15 feet, it therefore must be portable, and maybe even further then.

MM
I think we might want to stop talking about this before we give certain PEOPLE ideas.
Because I can just see it  two guys in an office in NDHQ going discussing it .
  1st Officer: God ! How brilliant ! Just think of the money we'll save by not having to replace trucks for the RCA.
  2nd Officer : And we can reduce our carbon footprint as well. And oh my god can you picture the fuel savings!

Dissident said:
Did we buy any sort of vehicle mounts for that thing?

We've had the mounts all along, we're just waiting for Red Green to put the final wraps on it.

I'm beginning to think the wrong AGL may have won the competition .at least the American M-47 makes an effort at trying to be man portable.

http://www.military.com/video/guns/naval-guns/railgun-update-from-general-atomics/904431955001/

Fucktarded...

Brought to you by the same folks who brought you the LSVW, GWAGON, C7A2 you name it, but this is really a crowning acheivement.

So if you're interested there is an article about our first range with this puppy on the R22eR site.

http://www.r22er.com/

Interesting pictures.  Unfortunately I can't read french but I think it said they were firing 1900 m and 1400 m airburst.  Am I somewhat correct?

dangerboy said:
Interesting pictures.  Unfortunately I can't read french but I think it said they were firing 1900 m and 1400 m airburst.  Am I somewhat correct?
Airburst is mentioned in one of the photo captions, which would mean at least one example of the FCS system is available for the training.

According to Google Translate:
The Weapons Integration Team (EIA) of the School of Infantry was formed in October 2009 to complete commissioning of various weapon systems that will take office in the infantry battalions. The team worked on several systems including the visual warning device (VAD), the Metal Detector Lightweight and Compact (DMCL), Thermal Sighting System (SVT), and our biggest project, the Grenade Launcher System Automatic (SLGA). The latter has languished for over a year, and studies of capacity and acquisition of weapons are initiated since 2002.

The team members are: WO Pierre Gagnon, Sgt Steve Filion, Sgt Patrick Charette, Sgt Fred Gagnon and Cpl Carl Gagné all R22eR, as well as WO Dwayne Jackman, Cody Arpin and MCpl Sgt Steven Pink RCR . The initial training of executives ended March 23 last. The three days of shooting on the CT HERSHEY we demonstrated the capabilities of the system and its powerful lethality. After you get to the system, you wish you had that weapon in theater! The PPCLI will perhaps soon be deployed with this system and all other units will follow the deployment.

The team shot SLGA C16 will consist of three servants and a gunner, loader and controller of the weapon. All must be qualified SLGA C16, during a period of two weeks. The first week will take place in the classroom for the theory portion and the second week on the ranges. The first course will begin in summer 2011 and will continue until spring 2012, each battalion will receive 18 systems by then.

The integration team weapons worked very hard on the training plan and training materials and we look forward to visiting units to teach the handling of the SLGA C16. We hope to show the units with the potential of this weapon and train top-notch machine gun that will greatly improve the reach and lethality of combat units.[/quoe]

L'équipe de tir du SLGA C16 sera composée de trois servants; un mitrailleur, un chargeur et un contrôleur de l'arme.

Three man det... It weighs 29 kg and the tripod is an additional 11 kg. add on at least 1 can of ammo (24.9kg for US HEDP M430) and you get 32 rounds for a total weight of 65kg (143lbs); for three troops... right.

VS 60mm Mortar

7.7kg (17lbs) for tube in light role, 1.45kg (3.2lbs) per round of HE. That's 32 rounds for 46.4kg (102lbs) and 54.1kg (119lbs) total for same amount of rounds.

And a modern tube ( http://www.hirtenberger.at/hds/pdf/M6.pdf ) would give 1.9km range in the light role and weigh less than the current tube.

I think we will be learning the same lesson the Brits did... bought the GMG to replace their mortars... then reinvested in mortars when they lacked a capability.

KevinB said:
Fucktarded...

*edit noting MCG's comment below to add 32 rounds of HE C110.

Troopasaurus said:
Three man det... It weighs 29 kg and the tripod is an additional 11 kg. add on at least 1 can of ammo (24.9kg for US HEDP M430) and you get 32 rounds for a total weight of 65kg (143lbs); for three troops... right.

VS 60mm Mortar

7.7kg (17lbs) for tube in light role, 1.45kg (3.2lbs) per round of HE.
Unless you want to be as dishonest as the maligned & hated project propaganda, your ammo estimate for the 60 mm needs to be more than one round.

Another intangilble is the ability to parcel out the 60mm rounds as required.  Either in 4 round packs, or individually.  But I fear we won't "learn" the lesson.  Ever.

We scrapped our battalions such that they lost very powerful and key enablers due to bean counting, and even after years of combat with the lessons screaming at us in our faces the whole time, the empires were built. 

So, C-16, get used to it.

Technoviking said:
Another intangilble is the ability to parcel out the 60mm rounds as required.  Either in 4 round packs, or individually.
Ack that fire mission 2, 3, 4 etc can be parcelled out through the company, but there needs (needed) to be some amount of ammo that was centrally carried so that it could be immediately available with the weapon.  How many rounds would that have been?  I assume it was something less than the quantity required to destroy a platoon (as used in the DLR weight comparisons), but still sufficient to get the first fire mission down range before the Pl WO needed to start pulling 60 mm ammo back from the rifle sections.

MCG said:
I assume it was something less than the quantity required to destroy a platoon (as used in the DLR weight comparisons),
This shows how DLR was (is?) RTFO with this.  Since the 60 and its ammo could actually be carried into battle, there was no comparison between the two systems.  And a platoon has much more than just one weapon to "destroy".  And the infantry doesn't "destroy" by one weapon alone, but meh, what do I know? 

DLR can take a long walk to the unemployment line, for all I care.

Back