• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Area Suppression Weapon (was Company Area Suppression Weapon)

SeaKingTacco said:
FWIW, I think that a grenade launcher is a useful addition to the toolbox, but not at the loss of the 60mm mortar.

Sometimes our toolboxes aren't big enough.

SeaKingTacco said:
MCG-

Fair enough on your comments.  Given an averagely abused or neglected grenade launcher, firing an average belt of ammo on an average day with an average crew, I would like to see what the CEP works out to.  I remain to be convinced that, in practice, it is anywhere near as accurate as claimed.
Scepticism is appropriate now.  The project staff should have verified all the claims before passing the manufacturer's promisses on to the eventual user group, but there are other holes in the analysis so ...

The claims are not impossible but the proof remains to be seen ... and we may be stuck waiting on FCS implementation to know.
SeaKingTacco said:
FWIW, I think that a grenade launcher is a useful addition to the toolbox, but not at the loss of the 60mm mortar. 
Yes.  They both belong.  There has got to be something else more appropriate to divest ... and it should not necessarily have to be another weapon.

While a great weapon that provides great target effects, the AGLS C-16 is not a platoon weapon.  Period.  The bullshit propaganda was just that: propaganda.

Now all the infantry has to do is figure out how to use it.  ::)

Technoviking said:
While a great weapon that provides great target effects, the AGLS C-16 is not a platoon weapon.  Period.  The bullshit propaganda was just that: propaganda.

What happened when the Eryx was introduced? I assume that it sat in the armoury alot....

MCG said:
Scepticism is appropriate now.  The project staff should have verified all the claims before passing the manufacturer's promisses on to the eventual user group, but there are other holes in the analysis so ...

The claims are not impossible but the proof remains to be seen ... and we may be stuck waiting on FCS implementation to know.Yes.  They both belong.  There has got to be something else more appropriate to divest ... and it should not necessarily have to be another weapon.
About divesting ourselves of a procurement officer or two perhaps the geniuses behind the "We just have replace the  ancient decrepit 60 MM mortar with this spiffy new Grenade MG ". 

Technoviking said:

Good Luck. The Reg Force Bns won't have enough people to man it. So who does that leave?

Question for anyone in the Infantry School.  Have they published anything with the Tech data and characteristics for this weapon, and if so is it available on the DWAN?

dangerboy said:
Question for anyone in the Infantry School.  Have they published anything with the Tech data and characteristics for this weapon, and if so is it available on the DWAN?
No, nothing yet.  The first batch of ICT (Initial Cadre Training) is still underway.  The stuff has to be evaluated and validated yet prior to publishing.

While a great weapon that provides great target effects, the AGLS C-16 is not a platoon weapon.  Period.  The bullshit propaganda was just that: propaganda

My thoughts exactly.  This is Coy Wpn meant for Coy/Cbt Tm attacks in a fire base role.  The fact that it is roled for dismount only does not surprise me.  It wouldn't be the first time we've bought a piece of equipment with half it's capabilities in mind. 

Also, after reading the many posts, I can appreciate the value of the 60 in the dismounted Plt scenario.  Mounted, I would have one up top the LAV for sure.  Nothing a couple wpns techs and a roll of gun tape can't make happen.

The Israeli Merkavas and Namers (the only real IFV, if you ask me) have 60mm mortars on them, IIRC.

Infanteer said:
The Israeli Merkavas and Namers (the only real IFV, if you ask me) have 60mm mortars on them, IIRC.

And you can 'like it' on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62896199615

Jim Seggie said:
Good Luck. The Reg Force Bns won't have enough people to man it. So who does that leave?

Reserve armoured on top of their G wagons.....

(pulls fire hood over head)

The battalion I'm in is pretty good for manpower (missing the NCOs that were not recruited in the early/mid 90s). AGLs should be fine for vehicles as a mix with other weapons, although a couple of simulations we ran through recently with them in place of our 25mm has us referring to them as "confetti cannons" for their utter lack of effect on AFVs.

Anyhoo

Vehicle mounted AGLS makes sense, and will be mounted on some vehicles; however, the ones we've purchased thus far (C-16) are all ground-mount. 

Next you know, we'll be divesting the the C6 GPMG to pay for vehicle mounts....

Infanteer said:
Next you know, we'll be divesting the the C6 GPMG to pay for vehicle mounts....

Infanteer has the good idea fairy been visiting you?

Back