• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Classes While Waiting

CanadianInTexas

Inactive
Reaction score
Howdy y’all, as the username states, I am a Canadian Citizen who has been living in Texas for the past 16 years. I am originally from Regina, though am going through the recruitment process through Toronto due to having family in the area and easy access to travel.

I am applying to be a Vehicle Technician. I sent in all the paperwork that is need for the Clearance Forms, and all the other needed forms. I am currently still waiting on the FBI Background Check. From what I have been told, this needs to be completed before the Forces can start doing any of the actual processing for the Security Clearance Pre-Assessment can be started.Once that is complete, they can go about setting up the CFAT, medical and interview. Now the Security Clearance Pre-Assessment takes anywhere to complete.

What I am wondering is: Should I take auto mechanic classes down here in the States or just wait to do all of the training once I (eventually) get in?

Thanks for the help and advice.

CanadianInTexas said:
Howdy y’all, as the username states, I am a Canadian Citizen who has been living in Texas for the past 16 years. I am originally from Regina, though am going through the recruitment process through Toronto due to having family in the area and easy access to travel.

I am applying to be a Vehicle Technician. I sent in all the paperwork that is need for the Clearance Forms, and all the other needed forms. I am currently still waiting on the FBI Background Check. From what I have been told, this needs to be completed before the Forces can start doing any of the actual processing for the Security Clearance Pre-Assessment can be started.Once that is complete, they can go about setting up the CFAT, medical and interview. Now the Security Clearance Pre-Assessment takes anywhere to complete.

What I am wondering is: Should I take auto mechanic classes down here in the States or just wait to do all of the training once I (eventually) get in?

Had to take a double check to make sure I can post here, looks like I can.

Alright so, just going to be blunt..... There is no guarantee you get in, after processing you could be sitting on the merit list for possibly awhile and even after that if it takes longer than a year, you're required to do the background checks, medical, and interview all over again. If working on vehicles is what you plan to do as a civilian career it's smart to just take the course anyways, the course "COULD" possibly be beneficial to your application though, if you finish the course you could be possibly recognized as a semi-skilled applicant if the course you took was at a recognized school(And the course was one that fit with the trade of choice), The Canadian Armed Forces will check this VIA a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment Review*). This pretty well means, you have the potential to be higher up on that merit list I mentioned earlier, and the higher you are the better chance of you being offered a position.

CanadianInTexas said:

vehicle tech PLAR question.

DAA said:
Running out and getting your license is NO guarantee that you will be granted anything by the CF. 

( Prior Learning Assessment Review - PLAR  )

AlphaBravo said:
There is no guarantee you get in, after processing you could be sitting on the merit list for possibly awhile

If working on vehicles is what you plan to do as a civilian career it's smart to just take the course anyways, the course "COULD" possibly be beneficial to your application though, if you finish the course you could be possibly recognized as a semi-skilled applicant if the course you took was at a recognized school(And the course was one that fit with the trade of choice), The Canadian Armed Forces will check this VIA a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment Review*). This pretty well means, you have the potential to be higher up on that merit list I mentioned earlier, and the higher you are the better chance of you being offered a position.

I understand that after everything is done there is still the waiting period. That being said, thanks for the advice.

CanadianInTexas said:

Hey, if you have any more questions about the application process I applied from Texas as well except for ROTP. I didn't make it in time since that dirty FBI background check took three months to come in so it was too late. I applied yet again but from Victoria, BC and so far my application is going well and I'm almost done.

Another note: DO NOT open that background check upon receiving it. Leave it in its folder and bring it to them and make sure they don't just turn it down saying it looks forged. There is also a phone number on it they can call to verify it with the FBI and be sure the record is clean. The document will look incredibly shoddy, and if they have complains then explain politely.

Back