• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Class Action Suit against NVC & "Govt has no obligation to soldiers"

Brihard said:
The liberals are screwing this one up badly. My speculation is thus:

They are going to stick to the mandate letter, meaning veterans will see life-long penions restores. But, the lawsuit has a second order effect that is of greater significance than the main thrust of the suit itself. That is to say, it would open the flood gates to serving military members (four of the plaintiffs were serving at the time of filing) suing the government over benefits.

Recognize that in the larger context, this is at the same time the the RCMP, another federal organization, has finally won the right to unionize, and also at the same time faces charges under the labour code. I suspect the government is quietly afraid that the Equitas lawsuit would present significant long term liability risk from soldiers and veterans suing over all manner of other matters. Equitas has accidentallly become a lightning rod for a larger legal principle that the government rightly fears.
They could always settle. Then there would be no legally binding decision.

Now that I've cooled off a bit, I just want to give a shout out to those involved in talking with the government about what should happen & how the pension should be implemented - you guys have more patience than I would have.  Good luck with the hard work.

Tcm621 said:
They could always settle. Then there would be no legally binding decision.

Yup, but there's still a political precedent set, and it would embolden others. They know the lawsuit will take years yet, and I suspect they want to simply deal with the pension issue next budget and pull the rug out from under the suit. A settlement would be difficult in this case, since the desired outcome isn't simply a big cheque cut for six hurting troops, but rather a major policy change. The suit and the stuff surrounding it are both complex.

One of the plaintiffs is a good friend, as is one of the other guys helping assist with the case. This whole thing has taken such a painful toll on those involved.

The only 2 lawsuits the Liberals haven't settled is Equitas and HEA from Maj. Brauer. Very clearly indicates how deep their support actually went. I completely agree with Brihard here, if they don't make a major announcement in the fall, or by the next budget, they will completely destroy any goodwill from vets, and will forever be unable to use "we're better than the Tories were".

PuckChaser said:
The only 2 lawsuits the Liberals haven't settled is Equitas and HEA from Maj. Brauer.

Major Brauer lost his case a couple weeks ago:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/maj-marcus-brauer-calls-for-review-after-losing-moving-compensation-case-1.3069505

Of course, he is calling for a "review", but for now it is closed.

This, from the Minister, via Facebook (also attached in case link doesn't work):
Recent reports have suggested that the Government of Canada is taking veterans to court. This is simply not true. There is an ongoing lawsuit which began many years before we came into office. I find it deeply regrettable that after years of neglect, veterans felt they had to take the previous government to court to ensure their own well-being.

It is precisely because of this that I was given a strong mandate to restore critical access to services for veterans, and to ensure the long-term financial security and independence of disabled veterans and their families. This includes providing a pension option for injured veterans, and I can assure Canadians that I remain committed to this, and to fulfilling all items in my mandate letter.

The Government of Canada has already taken a very big step forward with Budget 2016, which delivered $5.6 billion in additional support to ensure that Canadian veterans and their families receive the care, compassion, and respect they deserve. Canada’s veterans have dedicated their lives to the defence of our country, and they deserve our unwavering support.

In fact, Mr. Sorochan, the veterans’ lawyer in this case, has said that he is 90% supportive of what we are doing, and that includes our plan to consult broadly with veterans. We know that these consultations are critical to making sure that all veterans' voices are included as we move forward.

In our first six months, we have demonstrated our commitment to veterans by hosting two Stakeholder Summits, establishing six ministerial advisory groups to advise on specific issues, creating an online “have your say” tool for veterans and Canadians to weigh in on these issues, and launching a cross country tour, where I will be able to sit down with veterans and get their input on our top priorities.

While I cannot discuss the specifics of an ongoing court case, I hope this letter has clarified a few key points to ensure that Canadians have as many facts as possible.

There is a lot of work to be done—and the broader veteran community has made it clear that we must not to rush into a 'band-aid' solution. We will respect that wish and work with veterans to improve the service they receive, and to make sure that veterans are treated with care, compassion, and respect.
I get it:  they're not taking vets to court, they're just keeping them in court.  We'll see which gets settled first:  pensions, or litigation.  :pop:

Attachments

• (1) On Equitas.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 114
Politicking BS. Blame the evil Tories narrative. This Kent Hehr guy sounds more and more like a party shill. They could kept the lawyer off the case who tried to use the no social contract argument. They could have asked for more time so they could work through the process they started. Instead, they let the stay expire and asked for a ruling on whether we have a social contract to veterans.

Shill?  WTF do you expect them to do. He has his marching orders. No different from any other party.

I was told these guys were Real Change and Sunny Ways, not more of the same.

My opinion only here is that the Federal Government has responsibility to their soldiers no matter how you look at it.
We all know that responsibility cannot be delegated, perhaps assumed (like the Provincial Governments
do of late regarding Veterans Hospitals), but the onus remains with the Federal Government toward their Injured.

When did "I can't comment on an ongoing case" thing become acceptable? We see it everywhere now. You can comment you just don't want to because it maybe detrimental to your case, which you say isn't yours but your predecessor's. You are the boss and if you wanted to end it you could.

57Chevy said:
My opinion only here is that the Federal Government has responsibility to their soldiers no matter how you look at it.
We all know that responsibility cannot be delegated, perhaps assumed (like the Provincial Governments
do of late regarding Veterans Hospitals), but the onus remains with the Federal Government toward their Injured.

Even if MPs would treat other government employees as they treat themselves, it may be nice......But we all know that won't happen......Some animals are more equal than others.

Liberal MP caught spreading outright lies to his constituents about the restoration of lifetime pensions.  No surprise here, more Liberal lies...

Liberal MP's flyer wrongly tells constituents Liberals restored veterans' pensions

'Personally, I think he's trying to pull the wool over people's eyes,' father of Afghan veteran says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-mp-veterans-flyer-wrong-1.3628574

jollyjacktar said:
Liberal MP caught spreading outright lies to his constituents about the restoration of lifetime pensions.  No surprise here, more Liberal lies...

Liberal MP's flyer wrongly tells constituents Liberals restored veterans' pensions

'Personally, I think he's trying to pull the wool over people's eyes,' father of Afghan veteran says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-mp-veterans-flyer-wrong-1.3628574
Stand by for tighter message control, in 3 ... 2 ...

What's worse is that Liberal MP mentioned he is a former CAF member.

Teager said:

I hope that is true.

But I would like to see this brought up in question period. We need everything possible to keep Veterans issues at the forefront of the news. This blunder/lie or whatever you want to call it, could only serve to help us in the long run.

Teager said:

He's still a member of the CAF, in the Naval Reserve in Winnipeg. I just looked him up on the GAL based on a Wikipedia entry. How that's allowed, I don't know.

Teager said:

PuckChaser said:
He's still a member of the CAF, in the Naval Reserve in Winnipeg. I just looked him up on the GAL based on a Wikipedia entry. How that's allowed, I don't know.

Some discussion here,

Running for political office while in the reserves?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/117776.0

CF Pers and national political involvement 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/36903.0

Keep Politics Away From Forces 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/91014/post-896934.html#msg896934
Reply #16 and #17.

etc...

EQUITAS COURT DATE
FRIDAY JUNE.17/2016 8:30AM
BC SUPREME COURT OF APPEAL

Going around on FB.

Back