• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

This pretty much speaks for itself.

Or does it?

Did CSIS actually stop briefing PMO? And what is meant by ‘PMO?’ Spokespeople? Katie Telford? Others?

Accountability is in short supply with this government…AND…the unelected but highly influential political appointees in PMO (like Telford).

I think Kinsella is implying a causal link that it was CSIS refusing to brief the PM or PMO…and avoiding addressing the potential of the PM or PMO refusing to listen to what CSIS wished to advise them about.

After all, if they are refused an audience, one can still say that CSIS didn’t brief them and that would be a factually true statement.

1679760735704.gif

Or does it?

Did CSIS actually stop briefing PMO? And what is meant by ‘PMO?’ Spokespeople? Katie Telford? Others?

Accountability is in short supply with this government…AND…the unelected but highly influential political appointees in PMO (like Telford).

I think Kinsella is implying a causal link that it was CSIS refusing to brief the PM or PMO…and avoiding addressing the potential of the PM or PMO refusing to listen to what CSIS wished to advise them about.

After all, if they are refused an audience, one can still say that CSIS didn’t brief them and that would be a factually true statement.

View attachment 76957
From what I’ve read from various other sources I don’t think that the PM (or possibly PMO or Telford) were too receptive to intel briefings. I suspect more details will emerge over the next few weeks, especially if we hear more from the whistleblower.

Why Canada is among the prime targets for Chinese interference attempts​

RangerRay, the article you have included should be required reading by all who have any concerns about foreign influence.

Despite the fact that most Canadians are legitimately worried about putting or keeping a roof over their heads and affording food, I worry that China’s hostile intentions may soon fade from the public’s consciousnes. I do feel that climate change and other issues are definitely something we should deal with. However I also feel that China and Russia (and their friends) are intent on destroying our way of life if not our actual existence as a nation. These are serious times and the Globe and Mail article places emphasis on something we desperately need to address.

RangerRay, the article you have included should be required reading by all who have any concerns about foreign influence.

Despite the fact that most Canadians are legitimately worried about putting or keeping a roof over their heads and affording food, I worry that China’s hostile intentions may soon fade from the public’s consciousnes. I do feel that climate change and other issues are definitely something we should deal with. However I also feel that China and Russia (and their friends) are intent on destroying our way of life if not our actual existence as a nation. These are serious times and the Globe and Mail article places emphasis on something we desperately need to address.
Long and short of it China has "Imperial" ambitions - an empire if you will. We are the second largest country in the world with an abundance of natural resources, so follow the money. Its not the USA or Russia we need to be concerned about (keep an eye on them though) its China that should be our primary concern

What Biden did not speak was the word “China” – until he slipped up and said “China” in a sentence where he meant to say “Canada”. And then quipped, “You can tell what I’m thinking about. I’m thinking about China, but I won’t get into that yet.”
I don't think for a second that was a slip.

The US Govt wanted to signal and given how front/centre it is now, saying it outright may be "bad" but calling it a "slip" is more politically deniable.

Food for thought in this opinion piece.

I basically agree with much of what the author says. However, I do have a problem with her suggestion that, should Trudeau step down in favour of a someone else replacing him as party leader and prime minister, it would lessen the chances of the conservatives getting elected and in power. The author basically says “be careful what you wish for.”

As much as I don’t like what Trudeau and his party have or haven’t done (for now I’m going to ignore my thoughts on the Harper government), I really want to see both major parties as vibrant and persuasive as possible. When one party is weak, the other party no longer has to be all they can be. IMHO the country suffers as a result. It’s kind of like going to, say, a boxing match in which everything is stacked in favour of one contestant who ends up beating the crap out of a mismatched opponent.

Having said all that, I would much prefer that Trudeau step down as prime minister. Do I hate him? No. Has he not done anything right as some might argue? No, almost every national leader has done something right, with some accomplishing more than others. But I absolutely feel it is time for him to go just as I felt it was time for Harper to go. I would rather not wait for an election as some conservatives may prefer, in which case it would serve the party’s interests more than it would the country’s.

I want both parties to be strong and to fight it out at election time. And when that time comes, let the best man (or woman) win. Expressing my own personal preference I just wish O’Toole were still his party’s leader…although China probably wouldn’t allow it.

I don't think for a second that was a slip.

The US Govt wanted to signal and given how front/centre it is now, saying it outright may be "bad" but calling it a "slip" is more politically deniable.
It feeds the thought Joe is a bit off.

It feeds the thought Joe is a bit off.
Going back a number of years, even Obama and his chief strategist, David Axelrod, were worried about the constant oral missteps Biden would make. Some people sometimes allow their thoughts to race ahead of what they are about to speak and, as a result, the wrong words may get substituted.

For a long time my occupation would bring me into contact with politicians and their retinue, and I served them in a communications capacity. Some people are natural in their public speaking abilities while others have more difficulty and lose their focus. While I won’t mention those folks by name, I will mention how my wife is probably not a natural at public speaking; yet by dint of her extreme hard work became very good at it in the business world and ended up becoming a VP of a huge well known American company. In short some people are better at speaking and always will be. Senility is another matter entirely and I wouldn’t rule it out at Biden’s age but, given his history, I think it has more to do with his oratorical skills than his state of mind.

The man also has a stuttering condition. I’m sure that is also part of it.

A look at Han Dong’s voting record on key issues pertaining to China. You have to read through much of the article before you get to the meat and potatoes part but I think it is definitely worth reading. I can understand why an MP may, for one reason or another, not necessarily vote in favour of a particular resolution. But Dong seems to make a habit of it. I wonder why. Hmmmm.

Trump = Trudeau

Trudeau just comes in a soft feminist coating. Both use divisive rhetoric. Both are corrupt and unethical AF, and both have turned their parties into personality cults. The Trump/Russia stuff was at the very least extremely unpatriotic. The Trudeau/CCP stuff is on a whole other level of bad.
Trump got caught and is in peril, Trudeau, Well.....

I basically agree with much of what the author says. However, I do have a problem with her suggestion that, should Trudeau step down in favour of a someone else replacing him as party leader and prime minister, it would lessen the chances of the conservatives getting elected and in power. The author basically says “be careful what you wish for.”
If I were JT, I'd step down, have a new leader take the Liberals through the next election to get their majority, then I would triumphantly return when my replacement "had to suddenly step down for deeply personal reasons that we will not discuss publicly".
Having said all that, I would much prefer that Trudeau step down as prime minister. Do I hate him? No. Has he not done anything right as some might argue? No, almost every national leader has done something right, with some accomplishing more than others. But I absolutely feel it is time for him to go just as I felt it was time for Harper to go. I would rather not wait for an election as some conservatives may prefer, in which case it would serve the party’s interests more than it would the country’s.
The only party financially ready for an election is the CPC. The NDP are broke and fundraising is a challenge for them which is why Singh will keep propping up Trudeau. The CPC have a lot of organizational work to do particularly with a new leader, so they are not ready for an election.

If I were JT, I'd step down, have a new leader take the Liberals through the next election to get their majority, then I would triumphantly return when my replacement "had to suddenly step down for deeply personal reasons that we will not discuss publicly".

The only party financially ready for an election is the CPC. The NDP are broke and fundraising is a challenge for them which is why Singh will keep propping up Trudeau. The CPC have a lot of organizational work to do particularly with a new leader, so they are not ready for an election.

If O’Toole were still party leader and an election were held tomorrow, I’d most likely vote CPC. Otherwise, I’m not sure. I do have problems with Poilievre’s confrontational style of politics, not to mention his statements regarding cryptocurrency. Lately, however, his handlers have possibly persuaded him to tone done his style and be a bit more “friendly” even with the opposition. If so, then a point in his favour. Only time will tell.

Justin has had his time in the sun and he’s been there so long we’ve all been getting burned. I do like Freeland somewhat and I wonder what Mark Carney could bring to the table if he were to run. Nevertheless, the Liberals have been in power now for 8 years and, like most political parties after that long in office, they’re getting tired and corrupt.

If O’Toole were still party leader and an election were held tomorrow, I’d most likely vote CPC. Otherwise, I’m not sure. I do have problems with Poilievre’s confrontational style of politics, not to mention his statements regarding cryptocurrency. Lately, however, his handlers have possibly persuaded him to tone done his style and be a bit more “friendly” even with the opposition. If so, then a point in his favour. Only time will tell.

Justin has had his time in the sun and he’s been there so long we’ve all been getting burned. I do like Freeland somewhat and I wonder what Mark Carney could bring to the table if he were to run. Nevertheless, the Liberals have been in power now for 8 years and, like most political parties after that long in office, they’re getting tired and corrupt.
The Liberals need to truly self purge. If they lose an election, they will be dropped hard. Look at voting trends in Canada in general.

If the Libs self purged and came back to the center, I would re-consider voting for them. Paul Martins brand of Liberals almost won me over for a vote 20 years ago.

Your right, 8 years in office and the corruption complacency has set in. I think there is a reason Marc Garneau is jumping ship.

As far as Pierre confrontational style? Damn, love it. Lets not prance and dance around blatant unethical behaviour. Call it out hard and deal with it. My mother was Welsh-Irish and was notorius for calling out my BS as a teenager. Trudeau and his brand of Liberals behave, frankly, like teens and they need to be called out.

Back