• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changes, needed fixes in Cadets (merged)

Who do you think has the most influence on the major changes to cadets in the last few years?

• Total voters
Agreed. (with QY Rang, Colin P)

It is of great privilege and opportunity that the Seniors and I we‘re invited to a special Ex. Coming Feb 27-29. At CFB Borden. This FTX consists of the Reg force training us on Winter techniques.

We are going to be issued all our gear. (Purkas,Wet pants,Winter Gear, etc)
Making and sleeping in our improvised shelters.

I am extremely excited, my W.O. and I agree, its like going to heaven.

It is very good to feel and know that the "Reg force" really does care about the training that a Cadet Corps get as well as quality training.

This event is obviously a rare one, but I wish it was not. Which is why this leads me to a possible sperate topic, "Why do parents allow their children to join ARMY cadets, if they do not want them holding a rifle, or even simple as being ordered and/or yelled at!"

With all these complaining parents the rules and policys have been changed so it is as if it we‘re Boy Scouts with a rank structure. This effectively inhibits optimal or for that matter mediocre interest in the CF to be greatly uninfluential.

Franko
I still play here and at Tnet, along with MLU forum and a few others

Did you know if Iain Clark from Afghanistan has been lurking here? I enjoyed his posts. Cheers and don‘t get arrested to early into your leave!

ColinP...wow. Youve summed up exactly what every cadet wants. Now, any ideas on how we, as cadets(though i havent enough time left in the program) can make these opinions heard, or if we are actually able to make a change?

I am afraid that I am to out of touch with the cadet corp to make specific comments, it‘s been since 87 that I was involved with any cadets. Perhaps, when I finish my hiatus from volunteering, I should put some money where my mouth is and volunteer with the Cadet Corp. I just wanted to add a positive to the comments about the potential of cadets.

McBear, there just may be a way. I am the cadet co-editor for ON-TARGET The official Army Cadet League newsletter which sends copies to every corps in Canada. it would have to worded very finely though, because last time I critiqued the system about NSCE, it wasn‘t all happy go lucky, so DCdts didn‘t like that, and poop rolled downhill from Ottawa. :rolleyes:

Waitaminnit....are you Sgt Correia? (forgive me if the spelling‘s wrong).

Oui, It‘s W.O. now, and yes spelling is correct. Sorry, I dunno who you are..

And BTW, if any of you cadets have any ideas for articles you‘d like to see in On-Target, give me a shout, b/c good ideas are hard to come up with.

You should be able to do PT as a punishment like doing laps or pushups. There are too many slackass cadets to say "It‘s ok, just do it next week" even though this would be the fourth week!

Some people say that PT is an aim of the Cadet Movement, ergo it should be used as a punishment because it‘s ‘promoting‘ it.

Now, we are trying to teach cadets to ENJOY PT. If we associate it with punishment, it means they won‘t like PT (much like if you use drill as a punishment). If it actually fits the crime, I‘m all for it (Cadet screws around in a drill class, they do drill on their break, in order to demonstrate the EO required).

Get creative with your discipline, and make it fit the crime. Associating good things with punishment is a bad way to go.

CH

In my opinion if cadets was ever to become better CIC officers should have to go get miliary experance by being part of a reserve unit for a few years before being put in any position at cadet corps. Besides they get commissioned, they might as well do somtheing with it. And the skills they get would be useful when they get go to a cadet corps.

3005_MWO:

I was talking about when you see the cadets outside of a classroom setting. What do you guys do?

Depends on what happened, and who did it.

The same type of punishment will not work for everyone, as everyone is different. Some cadets you just have to go, "I don‘t want to see that again", and that‘s the end of it, some require a bit more of a talking to.

A lot of the time though, asks the cadets what THEY would do if they were in YOUR shoes....given the chance, they are usually harsher than you could be. Written warnings that they have to sign work well, because things have much more meaning when laid down, or actually asking what‘s going on. Sometimes they are doing it for attention, sometimes they don‘t want to be there, so are acting out.

Each cadet is different. So the first step: Get to know your cadets :) The rest should hopefully fall into place.

CH

Perhapse a little lesson in the 10 Principles of Leadership would be in order for ALL corps NCOs and CIC officers?

What about conducting leadership refresher classes to all the staff prior to kicking off the training year?

Regards

I totally agree. Many of the problems NCO‘s experience can be deduced back to one of the 10 principles. Refreshers are always a good thing :)

CH

We're not going to debate who made cadets better/ruined cadets forever.  Just answer the poll.

Parents, too many complaints about certain things.
I've heard that too many of them were scared about the Military side of the training. I guess thier kids should have stayed in Boy Scouts. :tsktsk:

100 % agree with Kenchin. Example: When they made the cadet reform in the late 90's, drill with weapons became optional and units that decided that it would be part of their instructing program would be issued plastic C7s. Their were so many parents that made complaints about these plastic C7 being to violent that they changed back to the old Lee Enfeilds. In my opinion every cadet in Canada should learn to drill with a REAL C7.
                                                                                                                              Clément

In my opinion every cadet in Canada should learn to drill with a REAL C7.

Why? So we can confuse the public even more to the point that they think little cadet private Tommy marching down Yonge street on Santa Claus Parade will get sent to war?

I think the Lee-Enfields are quite enough. We should be thankful that it hasn't been taken away yet.
Don't get me wrong, I love rifle drill, but placing real military weapons, tools for KILLING, in hands of children would generate some pretty bad PR.

Well then let's not go so far as to teach EVERY cadet C7 rifle drill.

When I was on my CL course in 2000, we were taught C7 rifle drill, and I loved every second of it. It goes along with that "Stimulate an interest in the Canadian Forces" thing we teach as part of the aims of the CCM.

I think we should bring back the C7 drill, but maybe only for a certain age group. (I was 13 when I was in CL, but maybe 14 or 15+ would be a good age to start C7 training)

Back