• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

I had a 4 bdrm duplex in Kingstown.  When I moved in, rent was but a mere $671.  Within the 1 1/2 yr living there it was "Assessed" for an increase to $980.  I went looking and bought a house 20km from Base in a quaint little town of Amherstview.  I have not looked back since.  If I can at all help it the Rip Off Agency (aka CFHA) will never get another penny out of me....

bily :salute:

angelmich said:
I had the shock of my life today.  In the mail was the dreaded CFHA envelope.  Surprisingly though, my rent DROPPED!!  Effective 1 Apr, my rent decreases by $55!!!  :eek:

Must be nice.  Mine went up again.  :crybaby:

HFXCrow said:
Get out the Q's! Now!

Listen to GW!

Get a Duplex in the Passage to start...work up from there. We make too much $$$!

I have been eyeing down towards Shore Rd. I don't care for a duplex, had one, I didn't care for them. Now a bungalow... now we are talking. Just need the 3 bay garage.  ;D

Knecht Ruprecht said:
I have been eyeing down towards Shore Rd. I don't care for a duplex, had one, I didn't care for them. Now a bungalow... now we are talking. Just need the 3 bay garage.  ;D

Eastern Passage eh??? Hope you like fog. One good thing about it is you won't have to waste money on air conditioning. ;D

Here's my dilemma.  I'm posted to Winnipeg for a bit of OJT and a course, so it should be under 18 months.  What do you guys think of getting a Q there if it's only for under 2 years v. looking outside on the civ rental market?

From what I'm reading, all the issues have been for people who've been on real postings of 4-5 years or more. 

Dimsum said:
Here's my dilemma.  I'm posted to Winnipeg for a bit of OJT and a course, so it should be under 18 months.  What do you guys think of getting a Q there if it's only for under 2 years v. looking outside on the civ rental market?

From what I'm reading, all the issues have been for people who've been on real postings of 4-5 years or more. 

Several questions.  Are you sure you will only be posted there for two years, and not have that extended in the future?  What are you going to do if your next posting is only for two years also; and the one after that?  Why would you want to rent and pay off someone else's mortgage for them, when you can get a mortgage of your own, and pay less than a rental, and own the property which you can sell when you get posted? 

Having a mortgage for a two year posting or a twenty year posting, really doesn't make a difference.  You have your legal costs covered.  You can't loose your shirt on sale of the house, should the market ever drop again.  You are master of your own house.  No inspections.  No long waits for CFHA to come make repairs.  No living in a "box" like every other Q.  Upgrade to your hearts content.  Rent it out if you want.  Lots of options if you own.  None if you rent.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Eastern Passage eh??? Hope you like fog. One good thing about it is you won't have to waste money on air conditioning. ;D

Arrr..... I be liking 'em foggy days...

Can a person choose to live in the shacks for the entire duration of their career? Some of my family grew up in PMQ's and told me not to waste my time with them, should I ever be eligible for one.

From what I've read in other threads, rations and quarters cost under 500 a month...I intend to live alone, it sounds like a bargain to me. Any feedback?

Thanks.

popnfresh said:
Can a person choose to live in the shacks for the entire duration of their career? Some of my family grew up in PMQ's and told me not to waste my time with them, should I ever be eligible for one.

You can choose to... whether they are available at every posting is another question. Just the same... buy a house/condo etc when you can.

popnfresh said:
From what I've read in other threads, rations and quarters cost under 500 a month...I intend to live alone, it sounds like a bargain to me. Any feedback?
Thanks.

Your profile says you're 17. In my experience, what you intend at 17 is not where life leads you.

Mods use your magic if need be.

Backgrounder (archived link)
The Strategic Disposal of CFB Winnipeg (South): Kapyong Barracks and The South Site Housing Lands
BG–07.033 - December 18, 2007

The Consolidation of CFB Winnipeg
CFB Winnipeg consists of two sites: a north site and a south site.  The south site, also known as CFB Winnipeg (South), is further  divided into two separate sites:

the Kapyong Barracks, and;
the South Site Housing Lands.
CFB Winnipeg currently operates solely out of the north site.  The base is comprised of a number of military units that support and conduct flying operations and a variety of training functions. The base also provides technical and logistical support for 113 units, stretching from Thunder Bay to the Alberta/Saskatchewan border, and from the 49th parallel to the high Arctic.

Both sites at CFB Winnipeg (South) have been declared surplus.  Kapyong Barracks is nearing the end of the strategic disposal process, while the South Site housing disposal process is just beginning.

Kapyong Barracks
The Kapyong Barracks site is often mistaken for the housing site, when in fact there are no residential dwellings at Kapyong Barracks.  This was an operational site used primarily for administration, equipment storage, vehicle maintenance, training, and drill exercises. 

The former Kapyong Barracks site has been deemed surplus and will soon be sold to Canada Lands Company CLC Limited (CLC) for redevelopment.  The Department is currently completing the Strategic Disposal process.

CFB Winnipeg (South) – The South Site Housing Lands
The South Site Housing Lands are made up of 358 residential units and have been the focus of much public comment and speculation. 

The housing site will be declared surplus, and, until the sale is finalized, the Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA) will continue to maintain the homes on behalf of DND.  At present, the South Site Housing Lands consist of:

230 houses are occupied by Canadian Forces (CF) Regular Force and CF Reserve Force members, DND civilian employees, and employees of other Government of Canada departments;
126 vacant houses, 26 of which are being kept aside for future allocation purposes, and;
Two office spaces owned by CFB Winnipeg.
In accordance with Treasury Board Secretariat’s “Directive on the Sale or Transfer of Real Property,” the South Site Housing Lands will be sold to CLC as a Strategic Disposal.  A needs analysis was conducted and concluded that there is an anticipated short and medium-term housing requirement.  The sale of the South Site Housing Lands will be conditional on this housing requirement being met.

The image below details both the Kapyong Barracks and the South Site Housing Lands.  The two sites are adjacent to one another on the southern location of CFB Winnipeg; however, they are two separate and distinct sites.

Kapyong_South_Site_Disposal.jpg

- mod edit to add archive link to (for now) archived version of backgrounder -

What happened with the First Nation claim for ownership of the southern lands?

Federal court recently disagreed that they had a legitimate claim, IIRC from CBC before Christmas.

I have a question to pose to someone who has lived in a PMQ in Edmonton. I am a young Reservist and am looking to CT to the Regs. My wife and I  are expecting a new baby this fall and have a 3 year old right now. Would the PMQ's be a suitable option for us to start with?

ready to go said:
I have a question to pose to someone who has lived in a PMQ in Edmonton. I am a young Reservist and am looking to CT to the Regs. My wife and I  are expecting a new baby this fall and have a 3 year old right now. Would the PMQ's be a suitable option for us to start with?

Sure it would be suitable - but the waiting list is quite long, so don't count on it.

I moved to petawawa with a wife and child,let me tell you the list is very long.

I got "Lucky".

And I'll leave it at that. ;)

Ready To Go, we are supposed to be posted to Edmonton this summer too and had heard of the huge, long waiting lists to get a PMQ there.  I phoned CFHA a couple weeks ago and was told it does depend on how many get posted in or out, but last summer they got everyone POSTED into their Q within a couple of months of their posting message. The sooner you get it in the better and your name will go on the list 30 days before your posting date. So, the sooner you get it to them the better.  She also told me it depends on what your needs are, that the larger houses may be harder to get.  And that the HUGE waiting list was for people that live there already that want a Q.  Posting IN has priority over people wanting to get a Q that live in the area.  If you have any questions phone CFHA yourself(just Google CFHA)  I may be living in a fantasy world, but I felt better after I talked to them.  Robin

They had us stressed out big time.Trying to explain to them that I would like some form of time line as to when I could get a Q was the biggest problem.Being told to just come to petawawa and wait for a phone call was not cool with a wife and child.I tried to explain to them that if it was going to be a couple months to a year I was going to go I.R.They could not give me a time line.

They didnt care much at all.

However I decided to talk to their boss's boss.And finally magically I had a march in date.
The stress of our move knowing I was starting TMST and work up training shortly after,I really didnt enjoy the problems with CFHA.
This posting will hopefully be my last in a PMQ. (all works out in the army as well  ;D)

As pretty much everyone here in Petawawa knows there is a severe lack of PMQs for service families, as it is at so many bases across Canada.

This has been ongoing for quite some time and has been getting worse as time marches on. More recruits with families getting in because of the recruiting push etc.

There are still single fellas and gals putting in for and getting PMQ with room mates as well. I have no problem with this as long as families have priority.

My question is:     Why is CFHA tearing down row houses and not building new ones?

That's right. At least 8 so far have been torn down, basements ripped out completely and back filled....and not one (by the looks of things) is going to be re-built.

It seems that in every court they are tearing down a row house on the south side, I have no idea on the North side.

Anyone have any reason why?

It can't be because CFHA can't afford it. The other PMQs have been paid off for well over 30 years and they don't roll any monies into upkeep anymore...at least not like they used to. Self help is pretty much gone completely and the last time I asked for some work to be done it took over 9 months for them to finally come in and do an estimate and another 3 months to complete the job!

Bueller?

Regards

modified title for clarity

Back