• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

dapaterson said:
Troops that are breaking the windows in the Qs, parking their cars on the lawn, and refusing to mow the lawn are hooligans whose chain of command should be coming down on them like a ton of bricks so the CF can be rid of them, and replace them with professionals.

I wouldn't argue that point at all, and it would solve some of the issues if career action was taken due to improper care.

Ms Wall definitely has a sense of entitlement here, as the only real issue she's made of it is the mold problem. You require active power/gas/utilities connection to have a PMQ, so I don't know what her issue is with being close to disconnection. As for the car shelters... I believe there's a story in this thread about a mbr's car being towed and destroyed because it was parked too long in a parking lot despite having valid insurance and license plates while said mbr being deployed. I don't see why the car shelter couldn't be taken down by a few buddies, but its that kind of stuff that turns people against CFHA for things that aren't CFHAs fault.

There is also a letter from John Wells that prompted Ms Wall's letter.  It has been interesting watching 2 retired old crusty infantry MWOs taking on little Ms Entitlement. 

I was on town council back in the day when military housing and First Nations housing were in a race to to see who could owe the most to the town without paying their arrears from water and sewage.  In the end, the town shut off water to all empty PMQs owing arrears.  No Cash, no water, no rent!  Enbridge Gas followed suit in 2009.  DND went from not being able to help recover the money to being most helpful recovering the money!

For DND, the Gagetown PMQs are a problem case as they lay outside the base, there is very little the chain of command can do as DND has agreements with the Province, RCMP and Town on the common areas and CFHA controls the PMQ itself not DND.

PuckChaser said:
......... I don't see why the car shelter couldn't be taken down by a few buddies, but its that kind of stuff that turns people against CFHA for things that aren't CFHAs fault.

Exactly.  Usually when a member is deployed, their unit "Rear Party" is there to ensure that their families are taken care of ( within reason ).  Why was his unit not made aware of this and then they could have taken this action to assist his spouse to remove the shelter?

[quote author=dapaterson]Troops that are breaking the windows in the Qs, parking their cars on the lawn, and refusing to mow the lawn are hooligans whose chain of command should be coming down on them like a ton of bricks so the CF can be rid of them, and replace them with professionals.[/quote]

I've been on the community council for PMQs in the past. Yes we did handle complaints and a few times we had to go as far as the formal route and forward complaints to members chain of command. The end result from the unit was less than supportive. If I remember correctly, the situations were resolved by the individual(s) being posted soon after.

George Wallace said:
Exactly.  Usually when a member is deployed, their unit "Rear Party" is there to ensure that their families are taken care of ( within reason ).  Why was his unit not made aware of this and then they could have taken this action to assist his spouse to remove the shelter?

And, taking the letter writer that their word, CFHA has a "three strikes" policy - so it wasn't the shelter that got them evicted, but the combination of the shelter left up and two other events (which she conveniently fails to discuss)...

kratz said:
I've been on the community council for PMQs in the past. Yes we did handle complaints and a few times we had to go as far as the formal route and forward complaints to members chain of command. The end result from the unit was less than supportive. If I remember correctly, the situations were resolved by the individual(s) being posted soon after.

"Chain of command" doesn't end at the member's unit.

Were I to encounter such a sitaution, letter #1 would be to the unit CO, cc'ing the base commander.  Letter #2 (after an appropriate wait and no improvement) would go to the formation commander, cc'ing the unit CO and base commander.

Escalation up the chain works.

George Wallace said:

Furthermore, it is quite conceivable that the letter that went to the member was sent before the spouse had spoken to CFHA.  A second call to CFHA, politely reminding them of the previous special dispensation would likely have resolved the case.

I do not currently live in a PMQ, but I had a similar situation with the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority (who were threatening to cut off my power) over a code violation.  I was deployed and my wife was freaking out.  An email to the inspector, explaining that I was deployed and that I would resolve the situation as soon as I returned  was all that was required.  As soon as I got home, I got it sorted and all is now good. 

Despite what we often see on TV, most people in these positions of authority are not heartless ogres.  They have to be up front and honest and lay out what they can do if you fail to comply, but they also recognize that actually solving the problem is better, cheaper and easier than levying sanctions and so they are usually quite open to working things out.  However, you do have to approach them and talk about it.  The key is to be polite and reasonable (i.e. recognize the problem, explain the circustances that caused it and tell them how you plan to go about resolving it - complete with a timeline).  Starting the conversation with &%$#*-off *&^%$ is not likely to get you  the results you desire. 

Article Link

Minister MacKay And Member Or of Parliament Brian Storseth Announce Measures To Improve The Quality Of Life Of Canadian Armed Forces Families

NR 12.302 - December 30, 2012

OTTAWA – The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Mr. Brian Storseth, Member of Parliament for Westlock-St. Paul, today announced a 10 per cent reduction on a proposed rent increase for Canadian Armed Forces military house at 4 Wing Cold Lake as well as a cap on rent increases for most Privates and all Officer Cadets across Canada.

“I am pleased to work collaboratively with Minister MacKay to deliver this important measure for the men and women who serve to defend Canada and protect Canadian interests,” said Mr. Storseth. “Today’s announcement ensures that our members know that wherever they are stationed in Canada, our government is acting in their best interests.”

The monthly charge for military housing in Cold Lake would have increased next year by almost 9 per cent, or an average of $92, without this measure. Military housing in Cold Lake will instead have an average rent reduction of around 1 per cent.

“Further to the measures taken at Cold Lake our government is also acting to ensure that the rent increases of most privates and officer cadets are no more than 2.21 percent across the country – in line with the average rent increase for military housing of 2.2 percent,” said Minister MacKay. “Brian Storseth continues to work tirelessly for those he represents and I thank him for his work on this file.”

Under the authorities conferred to the Minister of National Defence, Minister MacKay acted to ensure measures are in place to minimize the impact of a rent increase on those members earning less. The Minister authorized a rent increase limit of 2.21 per cent for fiscal year 2013-2014 for Privates at the first and second pay incentives as well as Officer Cadets across Canada. This figure is in line with an average national rent increase for military housing across Canada but ensures that those earning less are not subjected to large rental variances because of local economic surges.

Over the last ten years, Privates at the first and second pay incentives saw their monthly rate of pay increase by 27 per cent, while Officer Cadets have seen a 25 per cent increase in their monthly rate of pay.

“The Government of Canada is using all the tools at its disposal to ensure that Canadian Armed Forces members and their families can enjoy a good quality of life, regardless of where they live in the country,” said General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff.

DND housing is appraised annually by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. The appraisal is based on many factors, such as type, size, age, access to amenities, and general condition of the units. This formula allows for rent for military housing to be comparable to that charged for similar homes in the local market.

As such, the monthly rent cannot be increased by more than $100 per month, regardless of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s appraisal value, and it cannot exceed 25 per cent of a family’s gross annual income, not including parking costs and costs for fuel and utilities.

All these measures will be effective on April 1, 2013.

I have been paying almost half my family's monthly income for my shelter charge.

I filled out the 25% paperwork and handed it in to CFHA, but they didn't answer my question.. so maybe someone here can.

Do I get back pay for the months they over changed me for rent? (almost 5 months @ 250$+  a month)

I think that's a question you'll have to take up with CFHA.  The CF pay system isn't responsible for your rent.

Eye In The Sky said:
But it is deducted directly from your CCPS/RPSR isn't it?

Yes, it is but I think it would be up to CFHA to reimburse any overcharges. 

I can't find this information anywhere. So I am going to ask here

I have no clue of how much privates pay in deductions before take home. Can someone please help me out with this? I just found out that my child support is going up to $300/mth and I have a family as well. Can someone please help me out with a some kind of details please.

For a PMQ?  No more than 25% of pay for shelter charges.  Your legal obligations under the Federal Child Support Guidelines don't have any bearing AFAIK.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/04/14/ottawa-military-families-rent-cfb-uplands-increase.html

Military families see rent rise at Ottawa base

Rent is going up for military families at Uplands near the Ottawa airport, slightly more than would be allowed under the Ontario Landlord and Tenant Act.

The increase is close to four per cent, which is allowed because Uplands is federal land, not governed by the province. Most forces members got a 1.5 per cent pay increase at the start of April.

Since 2006, the cost of rent for military families at Uplands has gone up about 40 per cent. But they still pay about 40 per cent less than they would for non-military housing in the same neighbourhood.

Nora Spinks works with the Vanier Institute for the Family, which recently completed a study of military families.

4 out of 5 military families live off-base, study shows
She said more members are choosing to live off-base, which is changing the culture of on-base living.

Junior members are more likely to live in the 146 residential units on the Uplands military base, Spinks added, who have young families and who could struggle to afford the increase in monthly rent.

"Research shows that about 83 per cent of military families now live off-base … Many of them are renting and others have mortgages for homes or condos across the country, and that's a relatively new phenomenon," Spinks said.

"The typical 20 to 30-something starting out, it's pretty tough whenever there's any kind of significant or dramatic increase in expenses that's out of their control."

Currently, the rent for a three-bedroom semi-detached home on the Uplands military base is between $1,020 and $1,465 per month, according to the Canadian Forces Housing Agency.

The rent for a two-bedroom single home is between $1,035 and $1,135.

PMQ rent is stupid expensive for what you get, and they're not subject to the Landlord and Tenant act in both price increase and property standards. Not really news, still glad I'm out of the PMQ mess though. I feel for anyone that isn't in the right fiscal position to get the hell out of CFHA's mafia grasp.

PuckChaser said:
PMQ rent is stupid expensive for what you get, and they're not subject to the Landlord and Tenant act in both price increase and property standards. Not really news, still glad I'm out of the PMQ mess though. I feel for anyone that isn't in the right fiscal position to get the hell out of CFHA's mafia grasp.

Agreed.  However, from the article:

Since 2006, the cost of rent for military families at Uplands has gone up about 40 per cent. But they still pay about 40 per cent less than they would for non-military housing in the same neighbourhood.

PMedMoe said:
Agreed.  However, from the article:

National Capital Region also doesn't get PLD, which is why the rent was supposed to be artifically low; to compensate for that.

Back