• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

Looking for up to date info on the Q's in Vancouver - or should say looking for real info instead of the CFHA info.  Anyone know waiting list length? Condition? Utility cost?  D9 has picked as one of her posting choices for this year so I figured I better do some scouting before talking to CM tomorrow.

Buying is out so please don't post the advise that is already on here enough times.

Turns out Vancouver is out - maybe going to Yellowknife instead.  Doesn't seem to be much of a difference.  >:D

CountDC said:
Turns out Vancouver is out - maybe going to Yellowknife instead.  Doesn't seem to be much of a difference.  >:D

I've got one of my Cpls is screening for Yellowknife now (1st choice); another for Geilenkirschen (1st choice).

We seem to have hit the jackpot around here this year ... if you're anyone but me it seems.

Everyone I know whose been to Yellowknife has thoroughly enjoyed it ... and asked for extentions.

:'(  sometimes I just  :whiteflag:  Did not realize the screening involved with Yellowknife, D9 didn't understand the isol post implications.  We would love to go there as it sounds like a great place but the family medical situation bites right now and doubt it would make it past screening.

Everything we have read and everyone I talked to says it is a great posting.

Guess I will just have to wait and see what the future holds.  Supposed to start screening but am now waiting to see if that is still a go ahead or turned off.

Did a trip up to Kingston this weekend and while there decided to look up the PMQ they had offered me in 1985 and I had rejected. At that time I had over 12 years in and was a married MCpl fresh back from overseas.  I was offered a tired two bedroom row house that had a small metal storage shed nearby.
Personally I had planned on waiting a year in Q's before buying local. Well I ended up buying a house in Kingston Township a few weeks later. As we drove down into Q's, proceeding east from CANEX, the first homes looked OK but as we progressed further in, the condition began to get a bit sorry looking. Many looked unoccupied. At last we came to the area of my old offered Q. It had been turned into an open gravel covered lot. The only part of the Q's that had been leveled was where my old rowhouse had stood.    >:D

I have a few questions. Hopefully someone can shed some light. My common-law husband (waiting on that proposal lol) is in basic right now he's doing as good as can be expected. He's never had to be away from our son (just turned 10 months yesterday) for more then four days. But we are proud. He is going through for Military Police training so when he is done basic he heads off to Borden for six months.

We were interested in a "PMQ" this is our first taste of military life and we dont know much about it all. How do we go about applying for it. He is supposed to be in borden six months is it even likely that he would be able to get it? We have a booklet that says he is eligible to move his family there while he is in occupational training depending on time period.

If we are able to get it we only need a two bedroom place. Does anyone know how much they cost? Also what is this mention of discounts would he get whatever that is?

Do they come with any appliances or is that our responsibilty (wouldnt want to move our stuff all there an then have to store all the big stuff).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Just want to be as prepared at possible.

Thanks so much :)

Try this thread, there might be good stuff there.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35567.0.html

Ok, so hubby was offered a posting to Kingston (after he put in his release memo so we could move home to Ontario).  I would like the straight story, and as I have read in a prev post, not the version that CFHA will give, which isn't much by the way.  I've heard they are in very terrible condition, no insulation, no basements, no garages...  Please, any info would be appreciated.  We've also looked at buying, and that is out of the question too...  We may have to buy in Cornwall, and commute at this rate...  Thank you in advance!!  :camo:

Shal said:
I have a few questions. Hopefully someone can shed some light. My common-law husband (waiting on that proposal lol) is in basic right now he's doing as good as can be expected. He's never had to be away from our son (just turned 10 months yesterday) for more then four days. But we are proud. He is going through for Military Police training so when he is done basic he heads off to Borden for six months.

We were interested in a "PMQ" this is our first taste of military life and we dont know much about it all. How do we go about applying for it. He is supposed to be in borden six months is it even likely that he would be able to get it? We have a booklet that says he is eligible to move his family there while he is in occupational training depending on time period.

If we are able to get it we only need a two bedroom place. Does anyone know how much they cost? Also what is this mention of discounts would he get whatever that is?

Do they come with any appliances or is that our responsibilty (wouldnt want to move our stuff all there an then have to store all the big stuff).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Just want to be as prepared at possible.

Thanks so much :)

This link might give you a start....

http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/hl-el/borden-eng.aspx

emewife66 said:
Ok, so hubby was offered a posting to Kingston (after he put in his release memo so we could move home to Ontario).  I would like the straight story, and as I have read in a prev post, not the version that CFHA will give, which isn't much by the way.  I've heard they are in very terrible condition, no insulation, no basements, no garages...  Please, any info would be appreciated.  We've also looked at buying, and that is out of the question too...  We may have to buy in Cornwall, and commute at this rate...  Thank you in advance!!  :camo:

Type in "apartment rental kingston ontario " in Google and lots of off-base rental comes up.
Homestead has a lot of stuff :
"http://www.homestead.ca/locations/?city=Kingston#show

You should be able to get rental housing off base that will get you started.
Ref on-base I would be the last person to ask if you look at my last post.  :) >:D

Thanks BadenGuy for replying!

The rental units on the link you gave me are great, but mostly apartments, and the 3 bedroom townhouses are nice, but...  Hubby says we will find out if we can buy in Cornwall, and he'll get a room in the shacks to stay in during the week, and come home on weekends...  We only have 3 more years in the military until retirement anyway!!

Does anyone have any input on PMQs in Victoria/Esquimault.  I saw a few comments made a number of years back in this thread but nothing current.  Are there any sites that should be avoided or pursued?  For a single guy is it better to rent a one bedroom apartment out there as compared to the prices charged?  I have never been west of Ontario and know nothing of the rental/housing markets in Victoria or the PMQ situation.

No idea on the PMQs there, however, PLD for that area is still $816.  No change announced for this FY, however the usual caveat of "PLD is subject to change annually and mbr's should not base long term financial committments on receiving PLD" applies. 

Of that $816, you should see about 60% of that after taxes, etc.  Of my $631 PLD (Halifax) I get about $378 of that after deductions.

Hi all,

What are the state and availability of Qs in Comox?  I was planning on renting a Q, then moving to a condo when I've settled in and figured out the housing market there.

Thanks!

PuckChaser said:
I think you may be SOL, at least in Quebec: http://www.checkfirstonline.com/rent_increases.htm Says that Quebec landlords can increase their rent by whatever they want when they want as long as the lease is over 12 months, as long as they give you notice.

I live in Montreal and that isn't true. Quebec has the country's best rental board and the renter, not the landlord, has the upper hand. Rent can only go up 1 or 2 % UNLESS major renovations have been done. I have an older lady that live in my building who has lived there for 39 year and is paying 350 dollars for an apartment that is going for $1200 today and she tells me the main thing that keeps her alive and kicking is to stick it to the owners of the building!
There are negative aspects of living in Qc, but the rent is low and affordable and aplenty! Too bad there aren't any bases in town. (Long-Point doesn't count, does it?)

Back