• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAO 26-20?

Amos

Inactive
Reaction score
Had my records sent to me from Archives and had a note attached to it
What is CFAP 26-20?
looking for CFAO 26-20 and/or A-PM-245-001/FP-011 chapt 14

CFAO 26-20 deals with Unit Personnel Files but it says:

CFAO 26-20

UNIT PERSONNEL RECORDS

Cancelled Change 24/94, 1994-11-18

How do I find out what was removed from my file?
How does one decide what to remove?
Also what is this?  A-PM-245-001/FP-011 chapt 14

This was attached to my file:

Personal File Screening form

This is to certify that this file has been screen and that all irrelevant correspondence has been removed in accordance to CFAO 26-20 andA-PM-245-001/FP-011 chapt 14

From what I can find, 245 is the Clerk's Bible.  Chapter 14, it would appear, deals with Dependant's Education.

Going through the new Military Human Resources Records Procedures (DWAN link below), Chapter 10 shows what is to be removed and when.

It says:

File Stripping Process - UPF

To ensure the UPF is correctly maintained, the URS/Res Unit shall conduct a review at the following times:

•when a file is received on posting-in;
•when a file is to be sent out on posting-out;
•when a file is to be sent out for release;
•prior to forwarding documents for any other reason; and
•annually at a designated period that does not coincide with the APS.

When stripping a file, ensure that the Personnel Records Envelope (CF 478) is serviceable and properly marked (last name, initials and Service Number (SN)) on top of envelope. The last name and last three numbers of SN shall also appear on the lower left side of the (CF 478). The DND 1351 shall be checked for serviceability and replaced when the cover is no longer serviceable, or when all annotation spaces have been filled. Any time the file cover is changed, the old front cover (with all previous annotation entries) must be placed on the UPF.

Personal information records on file that are no longer required shall be removed. Prudent and controlled stripping of the member’s UPF is essential to ensure information is not inadvertently deleted from these files.

Prior to their removal, the URS/Res Unit shall ensure that pertinent Personal information records are contained elsewhere, e.g., HRMS, FMS, PERMIS, etc. PERMIS images records of Reg F members during their career; as this does not apply to Res F members until they are released, information which should not be removed from Res F members’ files includes employment, training and pay documents.

For CANSOFCOM personnel, information such as specific deployments and specialized training will not be included as part of the member’s UPF upon their posting from the Command.

Refer to table entitled Records NOT retained in the UPF. Refer to table Records permanently/temporarily retained on the UPF.

Records removed from the UPF are to be disposed of IAW both the Privacy Act and the National Defense Security Orders and Directives (NDSOD).

Included in the References/Forms/Checklists section is File Stripping Certification form that units are to complete once File has been reviewed and stripped. Once form is completed, it is placed on the right side of the Personnel File on top of the documentation that has been stripped and is retained permanently.

For example, a garnishee document is removed two years after the garnishment has been completed or an application for house hunting trip are kept until the next annual review.

https://aideghelp.hrms.mil.ca/eng/data/toc.html

No dependents education ever so who knows.

thanks for the info.  Guess I'll never know. 
Does everything goes in this file? where would I get other personal info? How long are military police investigation files kept for?

The relevant regulations call for the periodic review of all pers files and the stripping of items that are no longer relevant. Letters of commendation, course reports, accident reports and things that never expire in relevance are left in the file.  There is a defined list of items that can be removed.  None of them will have any impact on your future. 

I did once remove a "verbal" warning from a file once.  My argument was that if you write it down and put it on file, it is then recorded...

Pusser said:
The relevant regulations call for the periodic review of all pers files and the stripping of items that are no longer relevant. Letters of commendation, course reports, accident reports and things that never expire in relevance are left in the file.  There is a defined list of items that can be removed.  None of them will have any impact on your future. 

I did once remove a "verbal" warning from a file once.  My argument was that if you write it down and put it on file, it is then recorded...

one never really knows how stuff affects our future.  If no charge or proof of guilt, How long did they keep Military investigation records? like SIU interrogations? where can I find how long these records are kept?

MP / CFNIS investigation reports are retained by the MPs / CFNIS and would not appear on a pers file.

Also keep in mind that publications are reviewed and updated; depending on when your file was reviewed, it may have been a prior chapter 14 (now chapter 10) that directed what to keep and what to gash.

dapaterson said:
MP / CFNIS investigation reports are retained by the MPs / CFNIS and would not appear on a pers file.

Also keep in mind that publications are reviewed and updated; depending on when your file was reviewed, it may have been a prior chapter 14 (now chapter 10) that directed what to keep and what to gash.
100% correct, it is specifically forbidden for a MPIR to be placed on a pers file.

GreenArmyChick:  You need to access a MP file via the ATIP process.  Here's the website: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/transparency-access-info-privacy/index.page

How do you access PERMIS? I have CO commendation and multiple letters of appreciation stripped from my personal file and no form stating my file had been stripped after 2016. Items were there on my last APRV in Mar. Noticed then missing in August.

You can go through your Chain of Command with an informal request to your CM to get whatever may be on there. The other, more formal, option is to submit a Privacy Act request as described above.

In my experience though, run of the mill letters of appreciation and CO commendation letters doen't get sent up to the CM to be archived into PERMIS, they simply are accounted for in your PDRs and PERs and put on your personnel file.  This is why it is important to always maintain your own shadow file with copies of this kind of stuff...

I was afraid that was the case, I will write the memo to see what is there. I read in gaurdian  (I think that is what it is called) about the records. I do have an abolishment binder but I only started to collect 7 years ago.

Well, if it is any consolation, a letter of appreciation from more than 7 years ago really isn't going to carry much weight for anything at this point. Unless someone has gotten into so much trouble that they need to prove a long and consistent record of outstanding performance and behaviour prior to the incident that they are in trouble for, a letter of appreciation from that long ago isn't really relevant to much.

Back