• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Service Medals

Infanteer said:
The CDS had a "town hall" meeting last year and said that he intended to have the CAI (or whatever) would be worn on Combats.  I think it was just something coming from his big idea bin...

Okay... I like the guy, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him, both for his rank and for his policies and actions... But, if this is really one of his ideas...  Seriously... do we really need more stuff velcro'd on to our uniforms?  Something else that won't be seen under body armour?  I don't see the need.  Combats are like coveralls; they're strictly utilitarian... we don't need combat 'bling'. 

Infanteer said:
but imagine how well that will go off.

Yeah... Not too well...

BTW, how are the 'colour schemes' going to work on CADPAT?  or are the "CAI's" just going to have numbers when in OD/CADPAT?  (I know this is going into the realm of total and complete speculation, but, hey, its fun...)

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
I agree that the "us" and "them" situation exists.  During our pre deployment briefings, we are often asked if we've been to Afghanistan.  I raise my hand.  Then they ask "Oh, but who's been to Khandahar".  Then, in the IED lecture, they use as an example of a successful Taliban strike on ISAF, they mention the bombing of the bus in Kabul in 2003.  June 2003.  Yep, the safe part, the very road I travelled daily in my iltis/lsvw/LAV 3. 

You mean June 7th 2003, about noon, 300M in front of 3 no hook Pte Sigs and a LS Cook?  Gee, no wonder "REMF's" get slagged.  I hope I get a badge with a coffee cup on it.

I love being a smart ass.

Piper,
Last I heard, the CAI is a badge that's for the DEUs, not for wear on CADPAT.
You get it once, no numbers.

geo said:
Piper,
Last I heard, the CAI is a badge that's for the DEUs, not for wear on CADPAT.
You get it once, no numbers.

Please go back and read the previous posts to see where this is coming from...

Infanteer said:
The CDS had a "town hall" meeting last year and said that he intended to have the CAI (or whatever) worn on Combats.  I think it was just something coming from his big idea bin, but imagine how well that will go off.

And as for the numbers... Unless we're supposed to wear Bronze, Silver and Gold on CADPAT (if the ABOVE STATEMENT is followed) then they will have to devise a different system.

Infanteer said:
The CDS had a "town hall" meeting last year and said that he intended to have the CAI (or whatever) worn on Combats. 

The first draft of the CAI mentioned a version for service dress as well as one for operational dress.

RHFC_piper said:
Seriously... do we really need more stuff velcro'd on to our uniforms?  Something else that won't be seen under body armour?  I don't see the need.  Combats are like coveralls; they're strictly utilitarian... we don't need combat 'bling'.

Although they are a utility uniform, I'd hardly compare them to coveralls.  They are a uniform and the one most often worn in the army.  I think we're one of the only armies that doesn't wear our jump wings on combats - lets add them while we're at it.  The US Army has a new with their ACUs of wearing pin on awards and qualification badges (CIB, CAB, CMB, Para, Air Aslt, PF, Diver) in garrison only, but not in the field or overseas.  There is even a push there for full velcro colour unit patches in garrison.

RHFC_piper said:
Please go back and read the previous posts to see where this is coming from...
And as for the numbers... Unless we're supposed to wear Bronze, Silver and Gold on CADPAT (if the ABOVE STATEMENT is followed) then they will have to devise a different system.
From the last talks I had with my Area CWO, the chances of the CAI on CADPAT appeared to be going down.  As I am on Med leave, will have to wait till 17th before inquiring again....

geo said:
From the last talks I had with my Area CWO, the chances of the CAI on CADPAT appeared to be going down.  As I am on Med leave, will have to wait till 17th before inquiring again....

As I've said before; I don't see the need for the CAI (if there is going to be one...) to be worn on CADPAT...

Dirty Patricia said:
The first draft of the CAI mentioned a version for service dress as well as one for operational dress.

hmmm... lot's of conflicting info here...  but it doesn't really matter until its approved and appears on uniforms.

Dirty Patricia said:
Although they are a utility uniform, I'd hardly compare them to coveralls.  They are a uniform and the one most often worn in the army.  I think we're one of the only armies that doesn't wear our jump wings on combats - lets add them while we're at it.  The US Army has a new with their ACUs of wearing pin on awards and qualification badges (CIB, CAB, CMB, Para, Air Aslt, PF, Diver) in garrison only, but not in the field or overseas.  There is even a push there for full velcro colour unit patches in garrison.

IMO, the nature of operational uniforms has changed quite a bit... Long gone are the days when wearing 'bling' into operations in the norm... and although it's true that CADPAT is the uniform we wear most often, is it really necessary to wear your qualifications and experience on your chest or arm to get your job done?  Besides rank, I don't believe so.  Rank insignia serves it's purpose for proper address and authority recognition, but having wings or CAI just isn't needed on a utility dress... On the other hand, having this stuff on DEUs is reasonable, as wearing DEUs (in full dress) is much like a walking display case of achievement; medals, awards, badges, etc.

But that's just how I see it... if others require badges and awards on utility dress to qualify their career and position, so be it... I'm happy just knowing where I've been and what I've done, I don't need to wear it on my chest every day.

RHFC_piper said:
... if others require badges and awards on utility dress to qualify their career and position, so be it... I'm happy just knowing where I've been and what I've done, I don't need to wear it on my chest every day.

I don't know why so many people think because a guy wears a badge he is flaunting something.  It's the army - you get badges for doing things and having a bit of pride in that is good.

In our multinational evvironment there is something to be said for specialty badges worn on field dress.  Even when language is a barried, an EOD patch on a uniform will certainly get my attention.

geo said:
In our multinational evvironment there is something to be said for specialty badges worn on field dress.  Even when language is a barried, an EOD patch on a uniform will certainly get my attention.

Or when you see two hot American chicks from the 173rd in the DFAC in KAF with CABs and jump wings.  Pretty cool.

On a more serious note I saw a padre in Bosnia with a SEAL trident and one in KAF with a CIB.  Most definitely good credentials to be wearing on your chest in that profession, trying to get troops to talk to you about things.

Trident, yes, EOD, yes...
CIB? not so sure what additional info that badge brings to the table.  If you are outside the wire in KAF alongside other nationals, you have to take for grated allied soldier has been trained to an equivalent standard as yours... else nothing will get done.

geo said:
Trident, yes, EOD, yes...
CIB? not so sure what additional info that badge brings to the table.  If you are outside the wire in KAF alongside other nationals, you have to take for grated allied soldier has been trained to an equivalent standard as yours... else nothing will get done.

I was just saying that a padre with a CIB (meaning prior to being a padre he held an Inf or SF MOS in combat) is peculiar and would bode well when talking to troops about their experiences. 

Dirty Patricia said:
I was just saying that a padre with a CIB (meaning prior to being a padre he held an Inf or SF MOS in combat) is peculiar and would bode well when talking to troops about their experiences. 

I would think that a padre without a combat badge would be able to talk to anyone with regards to spirituality.

A good padre does not have to be a Germanus of Auxerre to be able to relate to troops.....

dileas

tess

There is no doubt that a Padre who is Umm.... "recycled" from a previous MOC will have a perculiar point of view & sense of humour.  Having said that, the many Padres I have met over the last 35+ years without combat arms experience bring a lot of humanity to the table. 

I could probably name of 1 padre who didn't do much for me... and he was a former gunner.

the 48th regulator said:
I would think that a padre without a combat badge would be able to talk to anyone with regards to spirituality.

A good padre does not have to be a Germanus of Auxerre to be able to relate to troops.....

dileas

tess

+1...badges sometimes get a conversation started but it's not about me (the padre) it's about whether I'm there for the troops or not.

Dirty Patricia said:
I don't know why so many people think because a guy wears a badge he is flaunting something.  It's the army - you get badges for doing things and having a bit of pride in that is good.

I agree.Pride being the big one.I hear a lot about the "us and them" mentality it would cause,however from what I have seen it already exists anyway.No doubt after this next tour you were either "there" or "not there" and thus start a new group for the us and them crew.

Let's face it;soldiers are never happy for the other guy.Promotions,courses,badges,awards....No matter what it will be a us and them mentality.

X-mo-1979 said:
Let's face it;soldiers  humans are never happy for the other guy.Promotions,courses,badges,awards....No matter what it will be a us and them mentality.

X-mo-1979 said:
Let's face it;soldiers are never happy for the other guy.Promotions,courses,badges,awards....No matter what it will be a us and them mentality.

True enough. Can't remember how many times I see someone get an award or promotion people automatically start groaning and talking behind their back.

More often than not, it's for no good reason either.

Regards

Dirty Patricia said:
On a more serious note I saw a padre in Bosnia with a SEAL trident and one in KAF with a CIB.  Most definitely good credentials to be wearing on your chest in that profession, trying to get troops to talk to you about things.

I think a point that is being missed here... Is yes.. A padre should be able to talk to anyone.  The same should be said about mental health, MO's, and so on.  I was stunned when we got to Cypress for decompression, and the mental health folks started asking their questions.. " So?  what was it like being shot at?  Did you shoot people?  How did it make you feel when your friends die?"  Sadly, the same holds true when you come home back to the unit!  You have issues, people you think should understand.. Don't!! (Not their fault), but they try to play the I've been there card, which in turns, (you get the picture.)

I think, the other point that could help, is in teaching the next roto's.  To often, (not in all trades, but in some) we get some people who lean more on rank, than on exp.  So the Cpl, who has lived through the hell, and has learned the right and wrong ways in the "real" environment, people who need to learn will know the difference.  I have taught 100's of people getting ready to deploy, and the all know when someone (with no exp) is feeding then BS, which in turns discredits good information.

I wish we could come together as a force to promote our morale, instead of finding ways of why we can not do something, because "I am not going to get it" using the Bling, or the US theory. For the record, while in Afghan. the US soldier running beside me was dieing just like our guys?

Sorry for the rant 

Some good points Starlight. I agree there is some U.S bashing in regards to "Bling" on their uniforms throughout these posts. Those of us that have been their, outside and in the sh#t, have new found respect for our U.S counterparts. I have worked with them plenty in the past, and have done course and training in the States, but not til your Butt is on the line, ....it's nice to have uncle Sam watching your back. I did some Air ops over there, since we had no air lift, depended on uncle Sam. Nothing like flying to a job in a BlackHawk with two Apaches in Support, that's the way to roll! and the NDP are saying we are overspending.... Meanwhile it was good to see a couple of junior ranks get some Bling from GG, although it is still top heavy. Cheers, PB

Back