• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Service Medals

Bruce Monkhouse said:
what was asked of them at that particular time.

Exactly.  We always pay the utmost respect, as we should, to those veterans sporting WW2 or Korea medals.  Would we dare ask what they did or if they saw real combat?  Of course not, although many have not seen action.  They are service and campaign medals.  They recognize participation in a certain area or region - not what one did there.  We should extend that courtesy to the modern CF as well.  Although some should have a better sense of humour about where they served.

Medal entitlement and the Canadian H&A system always makes everybody emotional.  Now, lets talk facts, rather than emotions as this is what gets me through my days:

Medal Entitlement:

1. General Campaign Star (GCS) with "ISAF-FIAS" bar: only to CF mbrs who are OPCON to ISAF.  You get it after serving 30 cumulative days in Afghanistan (this includes its airspace as well).  Should you be injured, such as in an IED, or killed before you reach the 30 days cumulative, the time period is considered completed and you are entitled to a GCS with the ISAF-FIAS bar.
2. General Service Medal (GSM) with "ISAF-FIAS" bar.  Can be awarded to both CF and Canadian civilians who are OPCON to ISAF.  Given to CF members or CAN civilians after 90 days cumulative service in direct support to the mission in Afghanistan (CM), or to CAN civilians in Afghanistan after 30 days cumulative time.  Same rule applies for the GSM as for the GCS is you are injured or killed.
3. South West Asia Service Medal (SWASM).  Can be awarded with or without a bar to those CF mbrs or CAN civies who are non-ISAF OPCON (not just OEF).  If you are a CF mbr or CAN civy serving in Afghanistan and are non-ISAF OPCON, you earn the SWASM with Afghanistan bar after 30 days cumulative time.  If you are not in Afghanistan, but are in direct support to the mission in Afghanistan and are non-OPCON to ISAF, you earn the SWASM with no bar after 90 days cumulative time.
4. Article 5 or Non-Article 5 NATO medal: no Canadian, civy or CF, is eligible to receive a NATO medal for service in Afghanistan or in direct support of Afghanistan.  This rule, as some have mistakenly said, did not come from the CF or the "higher brass".  It came from our Commander-in-Chief, Her Excellency, the Governor-General.  I know, I have a copy of the letter.  NATO was politely told that due to dual recognition issues (basically being awarded two medals for the same campaign, tour), Canadians are to neither receive, nor wear the NATO medals in relation to Afghanistan.  Point blank, the Governor-General said no, so that is the answer.  Remember, I am stating the actual rules here.

Combat Action Insignia:

1. It is not called the Combat Action Badge, as everyone has been saying.  The correct Canadian term is Combat Action Insignia or CAI for short.
2. It is not an Honour or Award (see my next reply).  The idea of the CAI is the same as the "badge" that a person earns.  It is on the same line as a medal for being in a tour, such as the GCS.  Basically, you were there and that is it.  There is absolutely no Honour or Award implied such as the H&A system bestows upon a person.
3. The CAI has NOT been officially approved.  It has been reviewed at higher levels, but it has NOT yet been approved.
4. I agree that the criteria on what distinguishes between bronze, silver, and gold needs to be fixed as it is not clear.
5. IAW draft direction, the CAI is retroactive to September 11, 2001 (I may be slightly off on the date and I will have to verify).
6. IAW draft direction, the higher of the three (bronze, silver, gold) is worn should the person be entitled (note entitled, not awarded) to two different levels.
7. Ways are being examined to reduce the admin burden on units, etc. when completing the documentation for the CAI.  For now, put the necessary paperwork in, with supporting documentation, and do not worry about distinguishing between bronze, silver, or gold.

More to follow on the H&A system in the next reply.

Canadian Honours and Awards (H&A) system:

1. It is NOT, I say again, NOT, the Canadian Forces H&A system.  It is not the H&A system of the CDS (no disrespect for a man that I highly respect).  It is the Canadian Honours and Awards system, of which, there are particular H&A that are only awarded to CF mbrs.
2. Remember our system of government has a Queen and her representative in Canada is the Governor-General.  Are you aware that portions of the medal entitlement and H&A system require the Queen's approval?  Others are from the Governor-General.
3. Changes to the Canadian H&A system for what are called National level awards (somewhat MID, but definitely Meritorious Service Decorations and up) are approved only by the Governor-General.
4. Of course, the CDS has tremendous influence on what happens in the H&A system, but it must be clearly understood, not the final say.  The Governor-General has the final say.
5. The CDS provides advice to the Governor-General on the H&A system on how it impacts the CF and DND.
6. Making changes to this system are never done at the pace that one would like, but that is reality.  No sugar coating here.

H&A that are the most common that apply to CF mbrs:

National Awards by general category (ultimately approved by the Governor-General):
1. Valour (there are three different stars or medals and a CF committee, with reps from Rideau Hall, approve these)
2. Bravery (there is a National Bravery Committee, of which, only one CF rep sits on it), three stars or medals.
3. Meritorous Service Decorations, MSDs, (includes the Meritorious Service Cross and the Meritorious Service Medal, same approval process as for Valour in terms of the committee with Rideau Hall reps on it)
  -the CDS has directed that more junior ranks (Capt to Pte) be nominated for MSDs;
  -this is improving; and
  -this is not tied to rank or position, I've seen Cpls given the MSC.

In between National and Departmental Awards:
1.  Mention-in-Dispatches (MID): can be given for valour, bravery, or distinguished service, but is only typically given in times of war or conflict.  It consists of an oak leaf that is placed on the ribbon of the tour medal, such as the GCS.

Departmental Awards:
1. CDS Commendation (final approval rests with the CDS)
2. Command Commendation (over in Afg, this is CEFCOM for most).  Final approval rests with the Commander of the Command.

These Honours and Awards are not given out lightly, contrary to opinions stated on this site.  Due consideration is given at all levels, from the nominator, right up to the final committee (at whatever level it may be).  National level awards go through at least 3 boards, with most going through 4 (not including the Commander's review at various levels and the CDS' review).  Obviously, the lower the level of award, the less committees it will go through.  Have a read of some of the criteria for these H&A, such as exceeded expectations of rank, experience, or training.  Showed tremendous courage, valour, etc.

My personal and informed opinion:
All who receive, let alone are nominated for, an award have done something to merit it.  To belittle someone receiving award belittles the award itself.  In a tour, all personnel contribute something and should that person have not done that extraordinary task, then someone else would have suffered, future Rotos suffered or not had it so "nice", or someone could have been killed.

Sacrifice Medal:

-this is the first time that I have heard about this.
-I do not have time to surf the entire site as I'm otherwise occupied, but I get the feeling that it is for something like the US Purple Heart.  I do not profess to be an expert on the US H&A system, but I believe that the Purple Heart is utilized to recognize that a US military person was wounded in action.
-we already have something for that and it is called the Wound Stripe.
-this is approved by the CO of the mbr's unit.

Scoobs said:
Sacrifice Medal:

-this is the first time that I have heard about this.
-I do not have time to surf the entire site as I'm otherwise occupied, but I get the feeling that it is for something like the US Purple Heart.  I do not profess to be an expert on the US H&A system, but I believe that the Purple Heart is utilized to recognize that a US military person was wounded in action.
-we already have something for that and it is called the Wound Stripe.
-this is approved by the CO of the mbr's unit.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50674.0.html

dileas

tess

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Hmmm, I expected better from you........

I said it before and I will always say it, everyone has basically done the same thing.................................what was asked of them at that particular time.

Everything else is just good/bad timing.

Bruce,

My point was not that.  Good and Bad Timing can be accurate -- (story of my life in someways  ;) ) --
My point was that Germany was recongnized -- I dont blame anyone for accepting the SSM -- the fact was there it was at the time the "cutting edge" of the CF with 4CMBG.  Troops went to germany and where recongized for it -- troops go to Afghanistan - and are recognized -- some of those troops face combat -- and even fewer of them distinguish themselves with leadership or gallantry under fire.

As you and I both know any idiot can accept the law of gravity and fallout of a plane -- however we got wings for it.  I dont view any of this as evil, nor do I think the addition or lack of certain things will adversely affect the CF --

Admittedly I'm ambivalent to the system -- and my opinion means nothing anyway since I am out.  My only observation is that it seems that the ones in favour of the newer awards are those who have been in combat in Afghanistan -- and those who disagree have not.

Infidel-6 said:
Admittedly I'm ambivalent to the system -- and my opinion means nothing anyway since I am out.  My only observation is that it seems that the ones in favour of the newer awards are those who have been in combat in Afghanistan -- and those who disagree have not.

I have not been there and I support the badge.

However, can you please point out where someone, as on this site, disagrees with the badge solely based on the fact of not having any combat experience?  I failled to have seen those types of posts, however I have heard much of the word "Jealousy" Used by those that have been there.

I surely hope those that have been in combat in Afghanistan don't mistake envy from those of us wishing we were still in and to have gone, to that of jealousy of ones professional expertise.  Those are two separate balls of wax.

dileas

tess

Says the guy entitles to the badge...  ;)

Tess -- perhaps not envy or jealousy used -- but some of the other comments like Bling and the recent soldiers need this or that and insinuating the the current crop of soldiers are less honourable or self sacrificing that older generations.
I hate to keep throwing up Germany -- but it was by and large a jammy go as the money and extra latitudes could offset the fact you may have been the next day a small inkspot over which the red army had driven. 

I'm not into bling mind you I joined in 1987 and my first Maj. - told me my job was to kill Russians as he banged a C1A1 on a table.

I was in Germany for 100 days (not enough time for the SSM) attached posted to 2 PPCLI (c/s 13C) in 1968. For those who remember events, that August, and the following months, were pretty interesting. We even got reinforcements still wearing Canadian Guards, QOR of C flashes. My new company commander, formally the Bde Maj, was a guy named Stewart, a name recognizable by the PPCLI community. We did what was asked of us at that particular time. Good timing, bad timing. My timing was off even though I served a very long time, and I am embarrassed that I used to wear "freebees".
I am in favor of the Sacrifice Medal as I always thought the Purple Heart was an "award" with a lot of merit. The same with the CIB. Of course, I will never be eligible for either. There will be, and always will be, those who think they are soldiers, who will abuse the awards system. Does that detract from soldiers who earned the award? No. They see their face in the mirror every morning.

Very well said Wes.  I don't see the majority of soldiers going around jamming it in people's faces and I don't see the majority of soldiers who never got it #1 Shooting at anything that moves
                        #2 Thinking someone that has it is a god damn war hero  ::)

I'll be entitled too one, as a Civilian it will sit with the rest of my Awards.    I'm no "bloody war hero".

My war heroes are the ones I carried onto those planes in flag draped coffins.

Let's face it, no one will try to rub "it" into your face.  It's something you have & you're wearing it with pride, the same way as you wear / wore your uniform.

Given that the blighty medal has yet to see the light of day, all this talk is speculation until such time as the GGs office makes an announcement.

With all this talk about 'jealousy' and 'rubbing it in others faces', I had a bit of an epiphany...

I can't speak for anyone else who'd be entitled to the 'blighty', or the CIB (or what ever the hell they're going to call it.. if anything), but personally, I can't think of many occasions where I'd be wearing it enough to "rub it in", or make anyone feel jealous.  It's not like medals are worn all the time.  Personally I can only think of 3 events, for sure, that I'd be wearing medals;
1. The Regimental Colours Ball, 2. Remembrance Day, 3. Regimental Christmas Dinner.  Beyond that, any other time I'm wearing Ceremonial dress or DEUs with medals would be for playing with the Pipes and Drums Band, and I doubt any of them would really feel jealous (or even care that much) about either decoration.
Now this may be just a reserve thing; I don't know how often the big R go around with medals, but I'm guessing it's not very often.

Just a thought. 

Piper... I'm with you on this subject.

Combat Action Insignia or CAI for short.

Please remember that this recognition, not award, is not official.  As such, it is still in the review process and things can change and will most likely change in regards to the rules, the categories and how you distinguish between the three, how the existing nominations will be processed, etc.

RHFC_piper said:
I can't speak for anyone else who'd be entitled to the 'blighty', or the CIB (or what ever the hell they're going to call it.. if anything), but personally, I can't think of many occasions where I'd be wearing it enough to "rub it in", or make anyone feel jealous. 

The CDS had a "town hall" meeting last year and said that he intended to have the CAI (or whatever) worn on Combats.  I think it was just something coming from his big idea bin, but imagine how well that will go off.

Back