• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Issued Junk

ArtyNewbie said:
dont forget the pre-heaters, that if they started at all often caught fire.

- A good time not to interfere, as that was the LSVW putting itself out of it's own misery.

I'm not ashamed to admit at laughing more than once as a LSVW burned for a while (battery fire or pre-heater doing the rest of the POS a favour)

TCBF said:
- A good time not to interfere, as that was the LSVW putting itself out of it's own misery.

I recall seeing MSE Safety fill out a forum due to a LSVW going up in flames during a Dom Ops...  ;D

I still remember the CFR and my freind gloves  he lost...

I think issued kit is and will always be divisive subject.The important
thing is if,or how fast, the powers to be react to the bad kit situation,
and I do not think the Canadian military is doing such a bad job,
judging by the new kit flowing into the system.
When one looks back at how many Canadians died because of the Ross
rifle,or from trying to sneak up to the enemy wearing hobnailed
ammunition boots.Another good example is the death of thousands
of US aircrew,paratroopers because of the refusal of the US military
to adapt the quick release buckle(QRB)they were required to open
4 separate buckles to get out of their parachute harness.One can see
the result of people not reacting to bad kit situations.
                                        Regards

True.  Another problem is that many are not using the kit properly.  Complaints that the Flannel sleeping bag liner and a poncho don't keep you warm on patrols are invalid arguments.  It is inproper use of kit and plain stupidity on the commentators part for bringing up such nonsense.  The Flannel Liner is for use with the sleeping bag, not as a separate piece of kit in a cold environment.  In the majority of cases, if the kit is used correctly, it works.  (I am not talking about TAC VESTS here.)

"True.  Another problem is that many are not using the kit properly" - Truer words have never been spoken.  If as a MCpl or above see a soldier incorrectly using a piece of issued kit, CORRECT him. That is your job. Would you let a soldier load his rifle incorrectly? You will always get the dunderhead that will insist on going his/her own way. That is human nature. Keep on correcting them until they get the message.
More junk: CF overboots, the CF plastic raincoat. The only time I've ever needed the raincoat was on SLC.

Everytime I hear people complain about the flannel liner (particularly when they say they never use it) I smile inwardly and hope they never have to find out how useful a piece of kit it really is.  Having been in an arctic tent when it caught fire, you quickly appreciate it's non-melting properties.  While a portion of my sleeping bag melted down, it didn't reach my flesh due to the liner and I was able (along with everyone else) to get out of the tent with only a minor singe to the back of my hand.  Also another reason to keep your ruck outside - you have something to wear post conflagration.  Even with that experience I still say the old mountain stove was a good piece of kit.  Bad piece of kit is an idiot who tries to light it in a ten-man.

Ahhh.... Village idiot, C1A1 for use of
I think those are "B" class items >:D

geo said:
Ahhh.... Village idiot, C1A1 for use of
I think those are "B" class items >:D

And issued one per section whether required or not.....  :rage:

Some wondered why I slept with my eyes open until I woke in time to throw a mountain stove & one such village idiot out of a ten man tent. Never heard a complaint from them after on how weird I look when asleep.

Rick

The first winter warfare lecture (December 1960) I attended included a demonstration on hopping for safety while wearing a sleeping bag.

Heh... People wondered when I used to tie a knife to the tent's main pole..........

Slash & dash.......... if your're lucky

geo said:
Heh... People wondered when I used to tie a knife to the tent's main pole..........
Slash & dash.......... if your're lucky

How do you think I got out of that tent?  They use to think me odd that I kept my knife in the fart sack with me.

- The 'new' liners we got in the 70s were'nt as warm as the nylon flammable ones.  You could heat a tent up quick with the old liners, plus they cut the wind better.  On the mius side, the flames would race to the top of the tent, then the flaming nylon liner would drop on top of everyone.  Given the (still) questionable lantern/stove skills of most of the CF, switching to a colder but safer liner was a good call, I guess, but I sure miss the old liners.

cotton and nylon liners both cut real well.... if you have a sharp knife :)

Blackadder = short of looping the knife's thong around my wrist, figured that hanging it from the main pole gave me the best chance of finding it in and using it in an emergency.... an event that I had to "exercise" only just ONCE...

At least I had plenty of witnesses for when it came time to return burnt scraps of fabric to QM

TCBF said:
- The 'new' liners we got in the 70s were'nt as warm as the nylon flammable ones.  You could heat a tent up quick with the old liners, plus they cut the wind better.  On the mius side, the flames would race to the top of the tent, then the flaming nylon liner would drop on top of everyone.  Given the (still) questionable lantern/stove skills of most of the CF, switching to a colder but safer liner was a good call, I guess, but I sure miss the old liners.

:rofl:

I shouldn't laugh, as I damn near fell victim to one such soldier with questionable lantern/stove skills. The dope lit the stove inside the tent, then instead of yelling "Fire! Fire! Fire!" I woke up too, "Ohmygod!ohmygod!ohmygod!", I look down to discover my bivi bag is on fire all the way up to the mid point on my chest! The bivi bag held the flames at bay, so no damage to me, and I was the only one on fire when I exploded out the side of the tent yelling "Fire! Fire! Fire!"...

Back