• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-188 Hornet, Canada's jet fighter

Agreed. Top gun pilots just lose control and eject, apparently.
It is Top Gun Canon that USN jets lose control and must be ejected from, if they lose one of two engines. There is apparently no NATOPs procedure to save the fighter…:giggle:

Last edited:
It is Top Gun Canon that USN jets lose control and must be ejected from, if they lose one of two engine. There is apparently no NATOPs procedure to save the fighter…:giggle:
And the canon efficacy that cannons work in dogfight that actually occurr.

a formation of MALDs presenting the returns of F-15E Strike Eagles closing in on a potential target, as one example, could draw a great deal of focus while stealthy F-35s flying at higher altitudes deploy munitions at the same target.

What happens if your fighter fleet is all stealthy? How effective are decoys?

If the enemy can see it it knows it is not a threat.

Has this had an impact on the decision to produce small numbers of F15s, F16s and F18s? To maintain the viability of the threat?

How about the production of weaponized drones by companies like Kratos that have been building EW target drones for decades?

Do you need to build threats that can be seen in order to screen the threats that can't be seen?

Does that mean that CF-18s should be put on autopilot and go out in a blaze of glory when they are down to their last 100 hours of airframe life?

How about the production of weaponized drones by companies like Kratos that have been building EW target drones for decades?
Don't even need to do that. The MQ-9A Reaper has already successfully test-fired A2A missiles.

(A2A = Air to Air)

Completely spitballing here, but it's not a huge leap to put an A2A radar and load it up as a "missile truck" to complement crewed fighters, or use as a "defensive barrier". Probably more stuff too but those are the two A2A roles off the top of my head.

Don't even need to do that. The MQ-9A Reaper has already successfully test-fired A2A missiles.

(A2A = Air to Air)

Completely spitballing here, but it's not a huge leap to put an A2A radar and load it up as a "missile truck" to complement crewed fighters, or use as a "defensive barrier". Probably more stuff too but those are the two A2A roles off the top of my head.

In a dollars and cents discussion would buying and operating the MQ-9A in that role be more or lest costly than "drone-carriers"?

Looking at the Loyal Wingman type programmes now

1661009231025.png

1661009299974.png
1661009361687.png
1661009450393.png

I'm seeing much of a sameness about them.

Except that the Kratos products seem to be considerably lower cost.

1661009673523.png

All true

But is a drone going to be closer in cost to and F35 or to a Harpoon?

100 MUSD or 1 MUSD?

I'm betting on the low end of the scale. 2-5 ?

Back