• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ceremonial Guard or courses at Meaford

RoyalDrew said:
Lol it was an attempt at humour, ladies do love the red scarlets though, certainly more so then CF relish  ;D

As for Sauble and Wasaga Beach.  Lots of rich Toronto ladies up there = high maintenance ... No thank you  ;D

Hey if you're looking for low maintenance there's always the bars in Owen Sound *cough* The Harb *cough*  :stirpot:

thehare said:
Hey if you're looking for low maintenance there's always the bars in Owen Sound *cough* The Harb *cough*  :stirpot:

If you want really low maintenance than you could always saunter over to Smugglers.....

Thank you very much for your advice. I think I'd be better off taking courses at Meaford and advancing my knowledge within the regiment.

I don't doubt that CG is an awesome experience.

I was also wondering if it is hard to be nominated for PLQ once you are a corporal. Once you possess all the qualifications, does the unit really nominate people with certain outstanding performance?

I am not really sure if I will be able to take courses in summer 2015 because I might be working full-time.

In theory the top Corporals will be vetted and only the best and brightest will be nominated. 
In practice the unit will send whoever is available.

Walther89 said:
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I'd be better off taking courses at Meaford and advancing my knowledge within the regiment.

I don't doubt that CG is an awesome experience.

I was also wondering if it is hard to be nominated for PLQ once you are a corporal. Once you possess all the qualifications, does the unit really nominate people with certain outstanding performance?

I am not really sure if I will be able to take courses in summer 2015 because I might be working full-time.

If you show competence and drive, and express interest in PLQ you *should* stand a decent chance. It's easier still if you can make yourself available outside the summer when most reservists do the course. PLQs are constantly running year round. There is no such thing as a reg force PLQ or a reserve PLQ; same course. In practise a few summer sessions will be nearly all reservists, because they are prioritized for that purpose, and the fall-winter-spring sessions are mostly regular force. However if a reserve member is available during the rest of the year, absolutely nothing precludes their unit from nominating them. There were a few PLQ Infantry sessions in the last few years that I got guys loaded on where they were pretty much the only reservists on the course, and typically they did just fine. If your unit is switched on and knows they can do this, and if you show drive and make yourself available, PLQ can be pretty easy to get. If you simply wait in line and only are available for the summer sessions, you'll typically be competing against more people for fewer spots.

Some employers are sympathetic to taking leave without pay for military stuff, others aren't. The nice thing about PLQ is it's one of the easier courses to wordsmith into what it gives back to an employer- leadership and management skilsl are something everyone likes to see.

Brihard said:
If you show competence and drive, and express interest in PLQ you *should* stand a decent chance. It's easier still if you can make yourself available outside the summer when most reservists do the course. PLQs are constantly running year round. There is no such thing as a reg force PLQ or a reserve PLQ; same course. In practise a few summer sessions will be nearly all reservists, because they are prioritized for that purpose, and the fall-winter-spring sessions are mostly regular force. However if a reserve member is available during the rest of the year, absolutely nothing precludes their unit from nominating them. There were a few PLQ Infantry sessions in the last few years that I got guys loaded on where they were pretty much the only reservists on the course, and typically they did just fine. If your unit is switched on and knows they can do this, and if you show drive and make yourself available, PLQ can be pretty easy to get. If you simply wait in line and only are available for the summer sessions, you'll typically be competing against more people for fewer spots.

Some employers are sympathetic to taking leave without pay for military stuff, others aren't. The nice thing about PLQ is it's one of the easier courses to wordsmith into what it gives back to an employer- leadership and management skilsl are something everyone likes to see.

Thanks. I will keep it in mind.

Regarding CG, I understand it is the military.However, if I am trade qualified,does that mean there will be BMQ-like pressure on the drill and everything else?
What time do CG people usually get dismissed?

Thanks

For me when I did it, in some ways it felt like BMQ, having to relearn all the basic drill to CG level. You will have PT at least 3 times a week during intensive drill and you will be inspected to ensure your uniform is up to the standards expected. Boots will have to be polished and pants ironed every night.

Dismissal time is all depending on what you're doing. Most days we were done shortly after getting back from the changing of the guard parade (assuming no remedial drill) or sometimes we would do PT or other lectures and be dismissed after that.

Back