• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]

George Wallace said:
Although I really don't know the details, I find your comment above rather interesting as to where you are laying the blame.  This unit works down the hall from me right now and is moving into high gear as we speak.  I have seen little in the way of "disorganization" on their part.  In fact they seem to have a whole lot of organization, compared to so many other organizations that I have the privilege of observing.  It makes me wonder where you have garnered your "expertise" and whether or not you have actually taken an objective view on it.

As I said "likely".  It may or may not be.  But CG has been known for last minute changes.  I've seen it first hand.  Don't get me wrong, when a unit has to go from 15 pers to 450 in a short time frame things can and will get mixed up.  A lot of things can happen last minute.

jarude87 said:
Try not to get too upset over it. It is really frustrating but like others have said, there are more summers to come and more courses to do. Hey, think of it this way: you'll get sworn in and enrolled so you can get your kit and go out to parade nights, which means you'll get paid 40$ for 3 hours a week of random army stuff with no expectations from you. If you're not on course, no one will give you too hard a time when it comes to doing proper drill, procedure, etc. I've been in since January and have been making easy money for just showing up, marching in circles and doing rifle stuff. Every cloud has a silver lining, brother...

No expectations? So you mean you show up to training with no intention of learning simply because you're not on a course?

No, it means I don't get jacked up for not knowing how to do something I haven't been taught. Eg, drill steps.

Well, I ship out tomorrow morning at 8am for BMQ at Connaught and then the rest of the summer is CG. See you all there!

You guys all really seem to think that the CF should be able to conform and account for all of the "personal" schedules for 80 000 personnel ansd should adapt the CF to suit those 80 000 individuals. You think it's an organizational nightmare now?? Wait until they start asking each of you all "when's the best time to do your course?? ... and we'll call in the staff to look after you when it's most suitable for you the individual." Then you'll see an organizational nightmare when they try to incorporate 80 000 "convenient" training schedules for all of you.

The CF operates it's time schedule on what's best for the "most", NO ONE in the entire world could adapt multiple trades/enviornmentals/ and other courses to suit all the individuals that make up that entity. Is that not obvious to you? Sorry if a few of you individuals find that's not to your convenience, but the irony of your blaming the CF for that ... astounds me; You're individual members of a huge team now, vice just individuals.

To start, I am a naval officer,  8) so pardon the ignorance of this question:

Apparently, the Naval Reserve is sending people to support CG.  I am sending a sailor there effective 2 Jun, to position: 089994R008

The amplification WRT employment states "rank and file"

Can someone tell me if "rank and file" refers to a specific type of employment within the Guard?  I am assuming my sailor(s) would be working in support roles as opposed to parading as members of the Guard.  I direct my questions here only because there is no POC listed on the message, simply my Unit and "GUARD OTTAWA" as action addressees. Any info any of you might have would be very much appreciated so I can give my people some sort of heads-up as to what to expect.

Cheers,

MARS

MARS said:
Can someone tell me if "rank and file" refers to a specific type of employment within the Guard?  I am assuming my sailor(s) would be working in support roles as opposed to parading as members of the Guard.  I direct my questions here only because there is no POC listed on the message, simply my Unit and "GUARD OTTAWA" as action addressees. Any info any of you might have would be very much appreciated so I can give my people some sort of heads-up as to what to expect.

Rank and file is the Guard. Pers given a rank and file tasking will be parading as Guardsmen on Parliament Hill and performing sentry duty at Rideau Hall and the National War Memorial.

HighlandIslander,

Rgr Out.  Thanks for that.

MARS

The MCDVs are full enough that they're sending pers to the CG now?  ;D

I kid, I kid.  But, I do have a mental image of what the tourists will think:  *scarlet, scarlet, black, scarlet....hey, wait a minute!*

lol.  Not quite as everyone parading will be in scarlets except at the Cenotaph where element dress will be worn.

Crantor said:
lol.  Not quite as everyone parading will be in scarlets except at the Cenotaph where element dress will be worn.

This is new. So will everyone wear GGFG/CGG pattern DEUs, or their own unit dress?

As of last, only the Navy and airforce will be in DEU's for the cenotaph, army in scarlets.  I guess they want a tri-force feel for the war memorial.

Any other big changes for the war memorial (i.e. changing it from a "guard" task like at Rideau Hall to a vigil like at remembrance day)?

Heh... dollars to doughnuts, they'll all end up wearing scarlets in the end.

It's just "neater" that way 8)

Well, things do change there at the speed of business.

geo said:
Heh... dollars to doughnuts, they'll all end up wearing scarlets in the end.

It's just "neater" that way 8)

Word on the street........

they will have something identifying them as their respective element....

something small on the scarlets i belive....

The more I watch the Intensive drill practice in the ottawa heat, the more I am thankfull I am Support Staff and my summer will be spent in 3b's

Something small on the scarlets?
Prolly their cap badge..... inside the bearskin
(at least that's what the concession was for reservists who participated on the "garde en rouge" at La Citadelle)

I'm not actually there, but RUMINT was that there would be a discreet addition to the scarlet tunics, like an anchor for navy pers, similar to our velcro name tags.

Can't be more discreet than an anchor pinned to the inside of the bearskin
... or Anchor buttons on the epaulettes... where no one will see em

They are wearing their environmental dress at the Cenotaph, scarlets everywhere else.  The identifier badges are on the left sleeve.  The Navy have basically their hat badge sown on and the air force have something I've never seen.  The albatross with air force written around it in sky blue.

Back