• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]

I really hope the date is not the 23rd and remains the 27th because I already had to change the date of three of my University exams.  I guess I'll have to contact the recruiter at the 4RCR to confirm this "off the press" information lol.  When do CG sentries typically conduct SQ if they don't during the summer months?  Just curious... thanks.

If your area runs an SQ course part time during the year then I would assume then.  Or next summer.

Alright, thank you.  That is probably what will happen in my case then.  As for the date of the CG BMQ in Connaught, could someone confirm if it is the 27th or the 23rd for Sentries?  I was unfortunately unable to reach the recruiter today at the 4RCR to do so, thanks.

That's what I was hoping to hear lol.  Thanks for your help Crantor.

Canuck89 said:
Alright, thank you.  That is probably what will happen in my case then.  As for the date of the CG BMQ in Connaught, could someone confirm if it is the 27th or the 23rd for Sentries?  I was unfortunately unable to reach the recruiter today at the 4RCR to do so, thanks.

You're 4RCR? I'm shipping out for 26 April BMQ for CG and I'm with 4RCR. Been to any parade nights?

To the veterans of CG: what can I expect?

jaruder.... you can expect to be told to do a search of this thread (63 previous posts) and other posts on the BMQ

jarude87 said:
You're 4RCR? I'm shipping out for 26 April BMQ for CG and I'm with 4RCR. Been to any parade nights?
I guess I'll see you on the 26th then lol.  I have not been to any parade nights because I'm not currently a member of the 4RCR.  I'm still in the recruitment process.  I actually have my fitness test at Beaver Hall tomorrow afternoon and after that I just need to be sworn in.  Also, I've been busy studying for finals lol.  Do you have any information regarding what to bring or any specifics about the 26th?

Does anyone have a copy of the joining instructions? I was unable to locate them on the DIN.  :cdn:

Please disregard my last post, for everything is in order now.  Anyone else attending the BMQ & CG Tasking this summer?

iCaz said:
Please disregard my last post, for everything is in order now.  Anyone else attending the BMQ & CG Tasking this summer?

I am. Looks like we're heading out in less than a week now. What unit are you with?

Well, I guess I won't be attending CG this summer after all.  I called the Recruiting Center yesterday afternoon to find out when I was going to be sworn in and they told me I was set for a Fall BMQ.  I finally got a hold of the Recruiter at the 4RCR this morning and was advised that I had been beat.  I passed all Preliminary Evaluations and got all my paper work in and yet I am being told nearly 5 days before Training begins that I cannot attend CG.  With the 4RCR, I was the third individual to apply out of I believe seven or eight.  My papers were submitted at the end of February before the program was even accepted by the 4RCR.  How I did not get in is beyond me but I cannot help but express my disappointment with both the organizational skills of the 4RCR Recruiting for not even having called to advice me that I would not be attending CG and the mere fact that someone who was told by the Recruiter and Interviewer that everything was set cannot no longer go.  Seeing as the CG Program is a length of nearly 4 months and it is today, 5 days away from the commencement of Training, I was forced to advice my current employer that I could no longer work there.  Also, I went through the trouble of changing the date of three of my University Final Examinations, something that is not always easy to do.  For those going, I wish you all the best and hope it is as enjoyable as I hoped it would be.

too bad.  It can be a good time there.

Don't be too hard on 4RCR.  This may have been out of their control.  Ceremonial Guard is running this course and units from all over the country are jockying for spots.  It might be that 4RCR coudn't send staff to teach on it, therefore the units that send staff get the spots.  So you weren't just competing against the 7 guys from your unit, you might have been competing against 70 guys from 10 different units for 30 spots.

The disorganisation is likely coming from the Ceremonial Guard end of the stick.  Their priority is to get their musicians trained both on basic and the leadership course.  The extra BMQ is a bonus.

good luck.

Crantor said:
The disorganisation is likely coming from the Ceremonial Guard end of the stick. 

Although I really don't know the details, I find your comment above rather interesting as to where you are laying the blame.  This unit works down the hall from me right now and is moving into high gear as we speak.  I have seen little in the way of "disorganization" on their part.  In fact they seem to have a whole lot of organization, compared to so many other organizations that I have the privilege of observing.  It makes me wonder where you have garnered your "expertise" and whether or not you have actually taken an objective view on it.

Although I am sure they are an overall well organized Battalion, I simply find it unprofessional to leave applicants in the dark five days before they were told training will begin.  Every conversation I have had with the 4RCR Recruiter and the Recruiting Center has been engaged by myself and never once was I informed of changes or updates along the process.  I will do my BMQ in the Fall because I am committed to joining the 4RCR.  My comment may have been biased because I had just hung up the phone with the Recruiter and received the news that I would not attend the Ceremonial Guard Program.  However, a simple phone call to advice me of the new developments would have been nice, can you not agree?  Four months of someone's live is quite a long time and requires a great deal of commitment, something I was fully prepared to engage in.  In the end, I have no overly hard feelings with regard to the situation despite being understandably sad.  Sorry if my post was taken personally, I did not mean to disrespect the Battalion in any way.

Canuck89, in time you'll learn that there's plenty of 'on the bus/off the bus' in the Army. If this is the worst that happens, be happy. It's unfortunate that you didn't get your course and tasking when you wanted them, but there's always next year.

Canuck89 said:
Well, I guess I won't be attending CG this summer after all.  I called the Recruiting Center yesterday afternoon to find out when I was going to be sworn in and they told me I was set for a Fall BMQ.  I finally got a hold of the Recruiter at the 4RCR this morning and was advised that I had been beat.  I passed all Preliminary Evaluations and got all my paper work in and yet I am being told nearly 5 days before Training begins that I cannot attend CG.  With the 4RCR, I was the third individual to apply out of I believe seven or eight.  My papers were submitted at the end of February before the program was even accepted by the 4RCR.  How I did not get in is beyond me but I cannot help but express my disappointment with both the organizational skills of the 4RCR Recruiting for not even having called to advice me that I would not be attending CG and the mere fact that someone who was told by the Recruiter and Interviewer that everything was set cannot no longer go.  Seeing as the CG Program is a length of nearly 4 months and it is today, 5 days away from the commencement of Training, I was forced to advice my current employer that I could no longer work there.  Also, I went through the trouble of changing the date of three of my University Final Examinations, something that is not always easy to do.  For those going, I wish you all the best and hope it is as enjoyable as I hoped it would be.

Whoa hold up.

CG spots are determined by "merit" -- ie "competition".

The recruiter was correct in that your paperwork was in and good to go, but that doesn't mean that you are "in" for a CG slot. Rather, you'd have been submitted for that. Obviously, you didn't merit high enough and were "beat" out of that slot. So, you slate next into the fall BMQ.

Only candidites actually "selected" (as in "win' the slot) will be notified ... exactly the same as occurs on civvy street with that "ONLY those SELECTED for interviews will be contacted". <--- Why you'd expect to be contacted about a CG spot if you weren't selected during the competition is beyond me. Rather, not being selected --- the recruiter would have contacted you about Fall course. He wouldn't contact you about one occuring in 5 days that you were never selected to attend anyway. Being nominated and making the cut during selection are two whole different beasts.

Sorry that you changed your plans around based only on a nomination and no "confirmation". That truely does suck. It's kind of like we tell the troops, do NOT seel your house before you have that posting message --- or you're SOOL, or do not buy your plane tickets before you've got that "signed and authorized leave pass in your hands".

Hello Canuck89,

Sorry to hear about that.  I too was notified yesterday that 1-Wing may not recognize the BMQ portion as a valid BMQ to CFLRS St. Jean or NRTD Borden BMQ.  So I believe I'm out of this years CG, however my unit ADJ is checking in to this and see if I can go anyways (since everything is in order) and do another certified BMQ when I get back to Borden late August.

Awww that sucks, now I'm the only guy I know and the only guy from 4RCR going. Canuck89, that's pretty shitty, but if there's one thing I've learned about the CF in the few months that I've been enrolled is that it's a big game of hurry up and wait. We have to get our shit together super fast, but when it comes to "their" end they take their time. I'm not laying any blame, as I know the CF is an organizational nightmare especially when it comes to getting people on courses. I only found out two weeks before the fact that I was leaving after I had been enrolled since January and had been going through the application process for nearly a year. Translation: It's been nearly a year and a half since I started the application process, and now I'm finally going on course. The real kicker is, I won't even be fully trade qualified after a summer of training since I won't be able to do my DP1; I'll only have BMQ/SQ done which means I'll be stuck in the PAT platoon, unbadged with my cornflake for another year.

Try not to get too upset over it. It is really frustrating but like others have said, there are more summers to come and more courses to do. Hey, think of it this way: you'll get sworn in and enrolled so you can get your kit and go out to parade nights, which means you'll get paid 40$ for 3 hours a week of random army stuff with no expectations from you. If you're not on course, no one will give you too hard a time when it comes to doing proper drill, procedure, etc. I've been in since January and have been making easy money for just showing up, marching in circles and doing rifle stuff. Every cloud has a silver lining, brother...

HighlandIslander said:
Canuck89, in time you'll learn that there's plenty of 'on the bus/off the bus' in the Army. If this is the worst that happens, be happy. It's unfortunate that you didn't get your course and tasking when you wanted them, but there's always next year.

During GW1, I sat on my kit bag in the Lahr AMU four different times, waiting for a flight to the Gulf on an EOD tasking.  Each time I was literally pulled out of the lineup by my WO, telling me it's a wash.  Try saying goodbye to your wife and kids, and getting ready to head off to the great unknown four times in two weeks.  Shitty for you, but it can get a lot shittier.

Back