• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]

Laddie, if you're in town on the 28th, we have our Governor General parade- Her Excellency wil be inspecting the unit on Parliament Hill.

We have our last day of intensive drill today; tomorrow and Friday are GG parade rehearsals, and then we're into the swing of things. It's been a long three weeks. At least the food's pretty good.

Oh, a head's up- the Fortissimo parade near the end of the summer should be pretty special this year. The CG band is cebrating their 25th, so the show will be a bit different. Instead of a Feu de Joie we're apparently going to do a rehearsed silent drill presentation that goes along in time to the band. Not up to the level of the USMC silent drill platoon, obviously, but our platoon will be putting the majority of the contingent together, and hopefully we'll have something cool to show the crowd. With luck not everything we do will be out of the drill pam.

Although there was already a thread pertaining to the Ceremonial Guard in Ottawa, it was locked ages ago.

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the current training schedule for the Ceremoial Guard, in the event that the situation has changed in the past couple of years.

Specifically, I was wondering if, after parades were done for the day, any training would be conducted that might be beneficial to a fellow who is already qualified DP1, Comms (former Sig Op) and driver.

I would be much obliged for any up-to-date information anybody could offer me.

If this is in the wrong forum, please relocate it.

Although not the best site for information, some info can be found here.

And here at the offical site.

Hope this helps.

Its CG,

Doesnt matter what the schedule is, if you have a poor attitude you will not enjoy your summer.
Every soldier that complains about CG, is in my opinion a bad soldier. Especially when you get the old, im bad at drill but good in the field.

As a reservist i learnt the most at CG, its not like weekend exercises are frequent, and its rare you land a good class b ex.
Not to mention my 3 summers of class b gave me a nice pay scale when i joined the FO.

If i were you, i would draft a PT schedule and pass it up the 1st day, that way once Drill and Duties is over you can do pt on your own time in the afternoon...thats if your sect cmdr is cool. Afternoon training is filler either way, use your head, find a way to enjoy your summer, you have time to get in rockstar shape, read 1000 books, date 4-5 ottawa girls...whatever

Bonne Chance

Fishandchipsandbeer said:
Although there was already a thread pertaining to the Ceremonial Guard in Ottawa, it was locked ages ago.

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the current training schedule for the Ceremoial Guard, in the event that the situation has changed in the past couple of years.

Specifically, I was wondering if, after parades were done for the day, any training would be conducted that might be beneficial to a fellow who is already qualified DP1, Comms (former Sig Op) and driver.

I would be much obliged for any up-to-date information anybody could offer me.

If this is in the wrong forum, please relocate it.

F&C&B, I'm with the Governor Generals Foot Guards in Ottawa; and this being my 3rd summer doing cg, here's what I have heard through the grape vine so far (take it with a grain of salt, as I have):

- Grenadier Guards are no longer officially part of CG anymore
-33 Brigade has taken over how many spots that each area gets (as of right now LFWA/LFAA gets 1 Platoon each and LFCA gets 2 Platoons worth of troops that they must supply for CG this summer)
-It is to be run by reg force personnel, which has been understood to mean that once parades are done we are dismissed, no afternoon training
-4 days on/off rotation

NOTE: As this is CG, things change very quickly, so again this is what I have heard through the grape vine and I am on the lower end of the food chain. 

I did get to look at the preliminary list of Foot Guards going this year and my name was on it.  It seems that the Foot Guards were much more selective this year on who they were going to send - being very dependant on attendance over the training year.  Plus the fact that LFCA gave us very few spots for Guards, which is odd seeing how we are one of the primary suppliers to CG.

Thanks for the info, folks.  Never would've thought there'd be such detail on the work schedule of the Ceremonial Guard on Wikipedia.

It's sort of a downer to hear that there mightn't be any afternoon training scheduled for the summer; ordinarily I'd be quite happy to spend my afternoons in Ottawa at the beach, or doing PT, or down the pub, or chasing the local girls - it just would've been nice to get some infantry-related professional development done.

The bit on a platoon coming from LFAA seems accurate; the list of summer taskings we've got posted up shows a dozen or two - I never counted - positions for the CG.

I'd be greatful for any additional information which may be forthcoming.

Fishandchipsandbeer said:
Thanks for the info, folks.  Never would've thought there'd be such detail on the work schedule of the Ceremonial Guard on Wikipedia.

It's sort of a downer to hear that there mightn't be any afternoon training scheduled for the summer; ordinarily I'd be quite happy to spend my afternoons in Ottawa at the beach, or doing PT, or down the pub, or chasing the local girls - it just would've been nice to get some infantry-related professional development done.

The bit on a platoon coming from LFAA seems accurate; the list of summer taskings we've got posted up shows a dozen or two - I never counted - positions for the CG.

I'd be greatful for any additional information which may be forthcoming.

In my 8+ years this is the first time I've heard of positions for LFAA/37 CBG at CG. I think we might even be sending one Engineer there too.

I was Pl WO there 2 years ago and put through the BMQ Crse that went directly there last summer but got posted back to 3RCR before CG stood up fully.  Here is what I can recall of what we did, bearing in mind that it does change "evolve" regularly.
-It has been open to other units outside of the GGFG / CG although who gets Posn depends on the Area Cmd
-Your first couple of weeks on the ground are going to be doing intensive drill to learn the Parade routine.  including work ups kitting and drill I believe it was 3 weeks worth in total.
-Once the Guard's have stood up you will be broken down into shifts. Along the lines of Pl, when I was there it was along the lines of 6 on 3 off schedule ( they tried to work it out so you had at least a certain number of full weekends during the CG time frame but some times your 3 off was during the week.  ( note this was two years ago and i may be off by a day or so for the shift work ) The year previously and for the most part they had a 4 on 4 off schedule but that will depend on the total numbers they have to work with. 
- When your on, one of the Pl will provide the Old Guard ( 1 Pl " Div" worth of troops on troops on the hill the other at the GG's residence) The other Pl will do the new guard ( 2 Pl worth "2 Div's" )
- This schedule was done for us as 3 Days New Guard 3 Days old guard 3 days off. 
-New Guard had after noon training as they didn't have to man the GG residence.
Old Guard had Training at the GG residence for the Div there and the one in Carlton did other training or kit maint or make up drill as required. 
-If you are BMQ/SQ qualified expect to be put into a Pl that has other soldiers with your Qual in. That Pl will have a Training Schedule in the afternoons that will run the gammit from productive QL3's if they can man it, for example PSWQ. 
- This Training can run the gammit from get a qualification out of it.  Or it can be refreshing skills you should already have.  And yes it can also be ( I hate this term) make work projects.  Although that will depend allot on the skills you have inbedded with your NCO's or Officers. 
-Normally those that are only BMQ Qualified are put in a Pl and taught a SQ during the summer on the weekends.  It is a logistical nighmare at the NCO / Officer end but troop end usually less so. 
-there has been will be days you have nothing to do so off to the beach/bar you go.
-there has been and will be days you are doing nothing for nothing or drill as you messed it up.  It is the army.
-This does change as mentioned due to numbers available.  Who is running the show, availability of NCO's ( Qualified in what ever skills )
- Mounting the Guard will take precedence over all things. 

Having said that as a Reg Force member who had a chance to work down there with the GGFG.  I have to say it ranks up there with one of my most enjoyable times in the army.  I am a Sgt qualified 3B who was Pl WO for a BMQ, and a Pl WO for a 60 some odd man Pl who also acted as the Div Sgt Maj on the hill.  And come on how many Canadians can say they watched the changing of the guard parade from the roof of the Parliament building.

The rumor of no CGG pers serving with CG was tossed around a lot last summer as well. IIRC it was refuted by the area CWO himself towards the end of the season...but on the other hand, if CG is shying away from 34 BGC and/or SQFT as a whole, it could explain why not a single member of our unit was accepted this year.

HighlandIslander that is what I have heard through my rumor mill as recently as last night, now whether or not that will change is still up in the air, as is most things regarding CG.

helpup, I was at CG in 06 and last summer (I was also there last may when you were pl wo for the bmq).  Hope 3RCR is treating you alright.

Ceremonial Guard without the CGG....
even the GGFG wouldn't wish that on us..

One thing is for sure, theres lots of crazy talk going on at HCC...  If they kick us out, i will be very disappointed with CG. 
Reservists need the experience, even if its shinning boots, and whats up with the black watch not getting any positions?  not a good sign

logan7979 things will probably change again in a week then again the week after that its CG - haven't heard that blackwatch got completely cut out - ill try and find out more when i can.

We haven't had many apply this year; most of us, myself included, will be working elsewhere. But those who did were told, quite simply, that there were no positions available for us. I'll poke around with other 34 Brigade units, see if they're getting the same thing...

Wow yeah no CGG?  According to my sources, there will be quite a few spots for us, as usual.  Even for the newbies,

Hey all,

I've heard that CG is open to all MOCs this year.  I've applied for a position through my unit's Operations WO, and am waiting out.

Can anyone confirm/deny whether there are not a plethora of empty positions?  I've heard that in recent years they've been dying for rank and file types to fill the spaces.

Anyone with any info on this?

They have been dying for rank and file - yet there seems to be this very selective list thing going right now.  Higher is probably trying to squeeze as much savings out as they can.  If they can do 6 and 3 to save money they will do it.  And they wonder why alot of people don't return to CG...

I'm trying to make this happen through my CoC but I'm skeptical as to whether they'll do anything about it.  Any chance one of you might know who I should get into contact with at CG?  Feel free to PM.

Panzer Grenadier said:
HighlandIslander that is what I have heard through my rumor mill as recently as last night, now whether or not that will change is still up in the air, as is most things regarding CG.

helpup, I was at CG in 06 and last summer (I was also there last may when you were pl wo for the bmq).  Hope 3RCR is treating you alright.

I figured some would know me, PM me if you want as I am not sure who you are.

3 RCR is being the busy bee and there for so am I,  10% pool right now time will tell how that goes.  It is one of those catch 22 situations.  Yet I have always enjoyed Pet

Based on working at the higher levels of it, with out doing any digging since I am no longer with them.  I just want to add that you will hear all kinds of rumours about the CG, and even more reasons for them.  Most of the time it wont be accurate information or more to the point, complete info. 

Some things you can be sure of.  There will be a CG, they will require troops from it, if the usual sources can provide fine if not it goes out to a national level.  Don't forget we have a higher numbers committed due to the Stan and the reserves are backfilling there and in Canada for a manpower shift.  Your Ops staff will get the manning and post it out.  It is still early in the season for it to be fully manned and even a couple of years ago there was some shuffling at the last min. 

Mounting the Guard is the primary goal, having troops sitting on there A@* instead of doing productive Trg is never the goal.  However due to either money, NCO's or resources is sometimes the case.  That does open up the avenue for getting a awesome personal PT schedule in there.  And if there is no set Trg Plan I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that some switched on NCO's will come up with effective Trg for at least part of the summer.

This is really news to me, coming from the CGG, and even on the official Army website, it states that CG is performed by members of the GGFG from Ottawa and the CGG from Montreal, with a support element of I'm guessing service trades from the 34 Brigade and the 35??(not sure about the last one) Anyhow, whats with these rumors of no CGG?  I can't wait to see the look on my Sergeants face when I tell him that one.  We are one of the staples of CG, how and why would they do this?  And Panzer, where did you hear these preposterous things?

Back