• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]

Mignault.J said:
Dont forget.....youve got Camerons coming this year too....so its truly gonna be jokes, anyway back to packing up...leaving tomorrow

and thanks Kendrick I like to get to an insider view.

It's not just the Camerons, CGG and GGFG that will be participating. 34 CBG is sending pers from the RMR, the Black Watch (myself included) and it was hinted that some members from R de Mais will be there too.

It's been as such for a few years now.  All of 34 brigade has been sending augmentees for the CGG, the same for (correct me here on brigade number Im not sure), 33 brigade.  As a matter of fact, regiments from all around Ontario had been filling the ranks of the GGFG COY for years too, even with the CGG, like last year.

Naralis said:
This will be my first time. What can I expect?  :salute: :cdn:

As infanteer said: Drill.

I'll add a allot of sweat, the occasional heat exhaustion/dehydration, and if you do a good job, the admiration and respect of veterans and serving soldiers from Canada and other countries. We understand how much "suck" the job entails, so no matter how bad it seems on the day, the end result will be one excellent addition to your RV.

Good luck, and have fun.

Kendrick said:
First day or two will be admin, sorting things out.  After which, 3 weeks, monday to friday, weekends if needed, will be intensive drill, to bring everyone up to CG standard, to be ready for the Hill and the House.  PT in the morning, breakfast, drill, lunch, drill, dinner,drill, some time off.  You will be sorted according to your size (tall platoons, short platoons), and you will be assigned a partner, for House duties.  

Then there's the Canada day parade, which basically kicks off the season.  From there, it's mostly parades in the morning, and then depending on the CO, you can have lectures or all kinds of things in the afternoon, or "admin" and such.  Days at the Governor General's house, you get maybe 2 or 3 sentry shifts of one hour, and you spend the entire day there, which is very interesting because usually when you're not on sentry you can just walk around and check out the nice looking tourists.  8)

It used to be on a 4 on 4 off rotation, when it was split between the 2 COYs, namely the GGFG coy, and the CGG coy, however this season, due to big gaps in the leadership cadre (lack of personnel), there are no more 2 COYs, they have been merged into one COY.  It will be a 6 on 3 off rotation, and if I remember correctly, there will be 2 platoons of GGFG and 2 platoons of CGG, but I need to re-verify that information I just received this weekend.  There is a big change in traditions this summer,so it will be interesting to find out what will happen with that, and how it will work.  How the good old Foot guard Grenadier guard competition spirit holds with the new conditions.  We even have 6 or 7 CGG guys that are getting rebadged GGFG for the summer.  I'm VERY curious to find out how that will fly.

All in all, drill all the time isn't exactly a choice posting for the summer, but the time you have there with everyone always ends up being a blast, and putting on the show for the public is a good time.  You stay at Carleton U, right in the public, next to downtown Ottawa.  You'll enjoy yourself, just don't let the strict army/discipline games get to you, play the game, and you will have a good time.  It's all in the attitude.  

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now.  Feel free to ask if you have any other question.

What a shitty job... im glad im doing ennemy force in Val  ;D  .  Might be 2 weeks less of pay, but can you put a price on mental health  ;)

BTW RMR is sending like 20 guys this year... almost every Pte/cpl available for this summer.

Ahhh,the good ole' days.......!  I for one will never forget my summer there.!  Good Luck and have a great season folks.!

Da_man said:
What a shitty job... im glad im doing ennemy force in Val  ;D  .  Might be 2 weeks less of pay, but can you put a price on mental health  ;)

BTW RMR is sending like 20 guys this year... almost every Pte/cpl available for this summer.

Have you ever done CG?

I'm excited, regardless of what Da-Man says, I had the option of doing enemy force in two diffrent places....I turned them down for CG, Only 9 hours to go! :cdn:

You'll have a good time with an attitude like that.  No matter what people may say, I believe it to be a good experience for anyone who does it.

Mignault.J said:
I'm excited, regardless of what Da-Man says, I had the option of doing enemy force in two diffrent places....I turned them down for CG, Only 9 hours to go! :cdn:

Another thread that may interest you can be found at http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40331.0.html.

From what I'm seeing, the CG crowd is divided pretty well between two groups, and it doesn't seem to be the thing for everyone. If da_man doesn't want to do it, don't get all up in arms about it, at least he's still working with the Forces in one capacity or another for the summer. Enemy Force in Valcartier is better than flipping burgers...

What a shitty job... im glad im doing ennemy force in Val

Who are you doing enemy force for?  I was offered to do it for an SQ course, but things changed at the last minute (big suprise)

I had a buddy who did it for a Reg Force SQ course for the R22R last summer and he said it was all c0ck...they made them do all the crappy jobs that the course staff didn't want to do (go gather brass after the candidates left the range.  Fill sand bags, clean rooms, etc etc...and basically everything BUT enemy force)

Have fun.

I hear that CG couldn't get enough people to fill all the positions so they've amalgamated the 2 company's into one giant coy.  I also heard that means the work cycle will be 6 days on, 3 days off for everyone.

I'd actually like to do it........... Just to say been there, got the t-shirt.  I think it'd be a good experience and something different rather than the same old taskings down Gagetown way.  Alas, I wear a black beret and am Regular Army........... I think that disqualifies me...... Anyhow, to all participating, have a good summer, you're part of a Canadian icon that people from all over the world come to see each year.

Regards

LOL J- how did I know you'd be the first to answer this thread?

Yeah, so far (two days in) looks like it's going to be frantically busy for a couple weeks, then once we're shuffled into rotation it should run pretty smoothly. Lots of work to be done, but nothing overly unexpected. Lots of drill, but it shouldn't be any harder for us than we make it. As long as we toe the line it should be pretty good times. Excellent representation of highlanders here this year.  ;D

I actually expect the summer to go by pretty fast...

After a week it hasn't been too horrible yet. Good weather for drilling outside and such.

Amazing how fast everyone is learning in the CGG platoon. No bullshit learn every move by squads. The staff shows the move, then we practice. Much easier to learn this way.

Naralis said:
After a week it hasn't been too horrible yet. Good weather for drilling outside and such.

To be honest, I'd rather have the really hot weather that everyone has been anticipating. Cool weather is always nice, but when you make the transition from 3B to scarlets and bearskin just as it heats up, it's doubly harsh.

BKells said:
We're all guards for the summer, Harding.

Yeah yeah. I know, but this is the 4th regimental cap badge I've worn in two years due to CG and my transfer. I'd like the opportunity to stick with an affiliation for more than 9 months without getting attached or transferred somewhere.

When's your guy's first parade on the Hill? I'm in town from June 26-28th, and I thought I would take a trip down memory lane and view a parade. I seem to remember from my two summers on the Hill that the parades start the week before Canada Day.

EDIT - Further to my last, who are the NCOs & Officers from the CGG on the Hill this summer? Just wondering I know anyone, and if I can get myself and my kids in the VIP area. Cheers.

Highland Laddie said:
When's your guy's first parade on the Hill? I'm in town from June 26-28th, and I thought I would take a trip down memory lane and view a parade. I seem to remember from my two summers on the Hill that the parades start the week before Canada Day.

EDIT - Further to my last, who are the NCOs & Officers from the CGG on the Hill this summer? Just wondering I know anyone, and if I can get myself and my kids in the VIP area. Cheers.
We start the 24th of June at 10:00AM.

Maj Mckinnester is the CGG CO, I don't know the rest of their names.

Naralis said:
We start the 24th of June at 10:00AM.

Maj Mckinnester is the CGG CO, I don't know the rest of their names.

Maj. McKinstry is the commander of the CG, not CGG. The rest of the staff is from all over, RCR. VanDoo, PPCLI, and assorted reserve units. PM me if you want names, Highland Laddie, they shouldn't go on an open forum.

Back