• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cemetaries in France, Belgium and Holland

Gill557

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know the locations of the Canadian Military Cemetaries in the above mentionned countries? 
I'd like to pay my respects when I'm in Europe in a few weeks.

I would highly reccomend you go to Dieppe. There are more Canadian flags in that small town than I have ever seen in any Canadian city.The locals will give you the shirt off your back if they find out your Canadian.Also obviously if your in the area, Vimmy is a must see.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
I would highly reccomend you go to Dieppe. There are more Canadian flags in that small town than I have ever seen in any Canadian city.The locals will give you the shirt off your back if they find out your Canadian.Also obviously if your in the area, Vimmy is a must see.
Plan to see both.  As well as Normandy, Beaumont Hamil, Corcelette, Arnhem, Passchendale, Apeldorne, and Nijmegen.

Useful cemetery links:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/cwgc.htm

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/courage/belgiancemeteries.html

G-Man said:
Plan to see both.   As well as Normandy, Beaumont Hamil, Corcelette, Arnhem, Passchendale, Apeldorne, and Nijmegen.

also make sure you visit the aArden's my dad showed me a map of all the war cemeteries in France and the netherlands. they were everywere. i am sure you will see more than expected. if you get the chance be sure to visit the small cemeteries as well. they are often just passed by and not visited.

Dieppe cemetery, from a visit there in  2000: http://regimentalrogue.com/papers/dieppe_lest_we_forget.htm

In Holland I'd recommend Groesbeek cemetery near Nijmagen. It's the largest Canadian cemetery in Holland. As far as France and Belgium go, the sheer number of cemeteries means you should probably prioritize them. Do you have a particular unit in mind? That unit may have many more troops buried at one cemetery than at any other. Maybe your more interested in battles, like say Dieppe, the Somme, Ypres, etc. If that is the case, I would find out, from those links listed, where the majority of Canadians are buried from those battles. If your looking for ease of travel to and from major centres, refer to a good road map of Belgium and France, and go from there.

I would probably try and limit the number of cemeteries you visit. With all due respect, they do kinda look the same after a while. What distinguishes them from each other is largely a personal matter, IMHO. I, for instance, found the Moro River Cemetery quite moving, due to the sheer number of Seaforths buried there. I also know a fair amount (relatively speaking) about the battles that necessitated that cemetery, which added significance for me. Find out what motivates you, and base your choices on that.

Lastly, bring along some Canadian flags - the ones with the wooden mini flag poles. They work well for placing them graves. I got a huge stack from my local Immigration Office. Check around. You should be able to get them free of cost, once you tell them what they're for.

God luck.

While visiting Apeldoorn you may want to visit the Canadian War Cemetary at Holten.

I was at Vimmy in early April and it is definitely a must see not only for the cemetery (which was extremely well kept) but also to see the tunnels they were extremely interesting. It was amazing to see especially because I am such a history nut. If you can't get there I suggest reading Vimmy Ridge by Pierre Burton, I haven't read it but I heard it was really really good. While in the area you should visit Somme I could not gethere but it is really close to Vimmy (you can actually see it from the memorial) so it is probably worth the short drive. Have fun on your trip if I am not too late.

If you get a chance go to Ypres for the Menin gate ceremony and read some of the thousands of names of Commonwealth soldiers that were never found to bury.  If possible, get some poppies from your local Legion and some Canada flag pins.  I found both to be very useful during my battlefield and cemetary visit to Europe in'92.  A very moving cemetary for me (besides those at Vimy) was Tyne Cot.  So many unknowns  on those white stones...  :'(

You might want to follow this route.

It represents Canada's Passion.

It is impossible to walk through these small, crowded cemeteries - filled with graves with two or three bodies of soldiers known but to God stacked one atop the other - without being awestruck at the courage, tenacity and suffering of your great grandfathers.  To this day it moves me to tears.

Edward Campbell said:
It is impossible to walk through these small, crowded cemeteries - filled with graves with two or three bodies of soldiers known but to God stacked one atop the other - without being awestruck at the courage, tenacity and suffering of your great grandfathers.   To this day it moves me to tears.

It did for me too, that's for sure. 
Thanks to everyone for all of your insight.  It was a very interesting and moving experience. :salute:

Back