• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN Hostage James Loney Rescued by SAS in Iraq

Here is a picture of the two captives I mentioned earlier. The guy on the right is wearing what appears to be MEC pants. I am aware that other countries use C-7 variants but are they are they stamped with Canada like ours?I searched for the exact article with the quotes by the Iraqi judge saying they were Canadian(because the weapons said Canada). Anyways I will continue my search and if I can find it I will post it.

I figure the only way that we will ever find out is if we take these pix to someone from the hill, and see if they will ID them. IMHO, not very likely.

Bet they got crappy PERs though!!  ;D

"MCpl **** displayed poor concealment and evasion skills when he was captured by the Iraqi police. His subsequent rescue necessitated the destruction of a civilian prison, and made headlines worldwide. Assessment : "Developing"  :D

Viewing the photos it would appear that at least two soldier's in the photo looked american. Does JTF wear that type of helmet ?

http://www.specwargear.com/images/helmet-newsweek-2.jpg

http://www.specwargear.com/images/helmet-newsweek-3.jpg

SEAL Helmet

http://www.specwargear.com/images/Update%20Sept/helmet-seal-protec-1.jpg

QV said:
Excellent news.  I had figured those hostages were pretty much finished after all this time.  Good to hear that the DHTC fellas may have had a part in it.  Has this been confirmed?  I mean they are saying it on the news but ..... media does not always = accuracy.

On my way home today I was listening to CBC radio news and they only mentioned that the RCMP had taken part in this op.  Something tells me that if there was any door kicking to be done in Iraq it would not have been done by a civilian police agency. 

Media...pfffft.... Figures.

The RCMP are sworn to protect Canada just like me and you and their not Civillians, just like you they salute, they are ordered where to live, they need to ask permission to go on vaction and not only that they need to ask which Countrys their allowed to travel to. Growing up in the early 1990's my father wasnt allowed to travel to Cuba because the RCMP wouldnt allow him too. Their not allowed to strike like you or I. They have their own criminal code thou the force usually fires anyone so they can be charged by civie courts. And under the Geneva Convention only TWO canadian organizations have Combatant Status and they are the CF and the RCMP. And last year more RCMP died conducting their duty than Canadian Forces. So theirs no way on gods green earth you could ever refer to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as beign a civillian police force!!!!

I meant to quote the first part not the second part defending the RCMP's combatant status.

Murneydevil6 said:
I meant to quote the first part not the second part defending the RCMP's combatant status.

I was gonna say "Whoa! I didn't say ALL that!" but hey you covered it.  If you are not subject to the Code of Service Discipline then you are a civilian, if you are subject to it you are a service member (dependants posted overseas w/sevice mbr are also subj to it but thats another story).  That is not diminishing their status here in anyway.  I work and train with mounties all the time and I am a Public and Police Safety Instructor for the RCMP (Use of Force) so I have a grasp of what they do.  It is good to see someone jump to the defence of a police force for a change though - however unnecessarily.  Anyway this thread is about the Iraqi hostage rescue so lets keep on track... 

Yah I guess so, I didnt mean to offend you. But I mean just from experience with members they generally take offence to being referred to as civillians. But  I do see what you mean by if your not subject to the code of disipline you are a civie. But they have their own code as well. But its all good. Yah I learned that the RCMP members their were from the National Capital Regions ERT team and that they did take place in the raid. So thats pretty cool. But Id say the JTF-2 Boys and the SAS crew were doing the kicking in of the doors and the mounties were probley just watching haha! But apparently they were on the scene during the raid. But I mean most of this is just stuff thats trickled down from Ottawa right. So we'll probley never know for sure'. I still think the RCMP should have been allowed to retain the Special Emergency Responce Team, good for espirt de corps. But I mean if JTF-2 can do the job cheaper and better and since the RCMP and the CF are the only ones it seems to know whats best for this country and are partners in that theirs no shame in the CF taking that role away from them. I wonder if this action in Iraq by the RCMP and in Afganistan would go on their Guldion?' If anyone knows that it would be cool.

Something I heard today about the raid that I found interesting  was that the assault teams took taxis' to the target area so as to maintain a low profile. I guess it worked.

A few more details, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 21, of the Copyright Act.

(UK) Army's top general attacks Kember for failing to thank SAS rescue team
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-2102543,00.html

Highlights:

"General Sir Mike Jackson, the head of the British Army, expressed the unhappiness of the military last night when he told Channel 4 News that he was “saddened that there doesn’t seem to have been a note of gratitude for the soldiers who risked their lives to save those lives”. "

(...)

"CPT has always made it clear that its members did not want force to be used to rescue them if they were kidnapped or held hostage."

(...)

"But, in the event, the coalition devoted huge resources to securing their release. The SAS, special forces from the US and Canada and military intelligence officers spent months trying to locate them.

"A force consisting of SAS troopers backed up by about 50 paratroops and Marines spearheaded the task force that rescued them. US and Iraqi troops were also involved in the mission. Relaxed and rested after his 36-hour stay at the fortified British Embassy in Baghdad, Professor Kember was flown out of the green zone by military helicopter yesterday to begin his journey home. He then boarded an RAF military transport at Baghdad airport for the short flight to neighbouring Kuwait. From there he was being flown home."

"Maxine Nash, of CPT in Baghdad, said that the organisation had not paid for his flight back to Britain. She said: “He elected to go through the Embassy, they arranged it. We did offer to pay for commercial flights for everyone but that can be difficult because it means driving through dangerous areas.”  She admitted that the pacifist hostages had mixed feelings about being rescued by the military. She said: “Our mandate is violence reduction so this was a tough call. Before they were kidnapped both Tom and Jim had said they didn’t want to be rescued.” Ms Nash said that the group was now considering leaving Baghdad. “After what has happened we’re going to spend some time thinking about what to do.” "

(...)

"Diplomatic sources let it be known that the three men did agree to face further questioning yesterday from intelligence agents trying to hunt down the group who held them for 118 days.  An intelligence source said: “They gave what help they could. They recognise that there are other hostages, including Westerners, still in captivity who we believe were taken by the same group.”  "

"The source added that Professor Kember had “privately expressed his thanks to his rescuers” though he did not meet them. The activists explained that they could not be of much help with descriptions of their captors as the group kept their faces covered."

"RESCUE FIGURES

The hunt for Norman Kember and his fellow hostages involved
250 men from the Task Force Black US/British/Australian counter-kidnap unit
100 men from Task Force Maroon, the Paras and Royal Marines backing special forces
15 men in helicopter crews
AND tens of thousands of pounds spent on helicopter and transport aircraft flights"

milnewstbay said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-2102543,00.html

"Maxine Nash, of CPT in Baghdad, said  “Our mandate is violence reduction so this was a tough call. Before they were kidnapped both Tom and Jim had said they didn’t want to be rescued.” Ms Nash said that the group was now considering leaving Baghdad. “After what has happened we’re going to spend some time thinking about what to do.” "

"The source added that Professor Kember had “privately expressed his thanks to his rescuers” though he did not meet them. The activists explained that they could not be of much help with descriptions of their captors as the group kept their faces covered."

So the guy is bent about getting rescued, and he is more worried about how it will look to his fellow jagoff peace protesters by being publicly grateful?  Am I the only one who could spare a few bucks to send this a$$hat back to do some more "work for justice"?  If these dinks want to be martyrs so badly, stamp their visa's and ship them back! :threat:

Just a quick update on Tom Fox that I heard on CBC today. Apparently American officials are now saying after examining his remains ,that his wounds are not consistant with execution type wounds. The theory now is that he died in a failed escape attempt.

A reluctant Thank you and lack of cooperation ... WTF are these people thinking? Or perhaps they are not thinking... GRRRRR.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18614074%255E2703,00.html

* Edited to remove my stupid ranting comments.

Uk article today.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2104343,00.html

after the weekend, and checking out the news, I came up with an idea-perhaps some will find it petty-but I'm hoping that it will not be thought of as that.

what should be done in my opinion, is the EXACT same thing that Parks Canada does after they rescue someone who is dumb enough to wander into the mountains to hike or climb and end up getting themselves in a horrible situation. They are rescued and once the initial trauma of the situation, the are sent a bill to cover the cost of the logistics of the rescue opreation that saved their a**es!

Maybe if these Christian Peacemakers were sent a bill from each of the goverments involved it would help this organization understand not only the incredible risks they take with their own life when travelling to their"select"countries to do their work, but also the risk of the operator's lives and the financial risk these governments took in order to bring them home with their heads intact!

just my two cents.
:salute:

Now that is an outstanding idea!
They were warned about the hazards, they still went into an area which was known to be dangerous. They had to be extracated from that situation.

They should be made to pay the bill.

Then we look like the jerks    ::)

Ummm no...I like it the way it is right now. They look like the one's who are irresponsible.

Regards

They didn't ASK to be rescued, especially not in a violent manner and none of their friends asked for them either, so why should they have to pay anything? They went into the country knowing fully the risks involved, I don't see anything intellectually inconsistent with their actions.

The whole rescue was to poke a stick at the anti-war movement anyway, to "make them look like jerks" as Franko says, and judging by the reactions here and that cartoon, it looks like a fairly succesful piece of propaganda.

Back