• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

cdn army future

• Thread starter northamericanrebel
  • Start date
So you partake in most of the wars....just never in the numbers uk or us does....hence sometimes if not most of the time you get over shadowed :eek:

I was also wondering if one of you could clearly define superpower :D :rolleyes:

No miserable storm. Too much like work on the part of the government. Just another 2 decades of drizzle, until the muck is so high, that the army is buried under miles of it, and the concept of sun is a happy memory of your grandfather.

You know what happens to people buried under miles of muck, right?

My, I‘m cheerful today.

Superpower = My "tool" is the biggest and I have the WMD‘s to back that statement up.

Do you guys envision Canada playing a more prominent role in future military conflicts,
I dunno, doubt we‘ll be invading anyone anytime soon. Our oil reserves are doing just fine thanks. :D

I‘m confused.

Why do we need a military again?

Perhaps we should tailor our tools to our needs as opposed to our desire to run with the big boys?

Of course (from what little I know), the MGS certainly seemed like a step in right direction.

If NATO was smart they should kick out countries that don‘t pull their own weight. An I‘m sorry to say that we would be the first to go.

I can remember back in the late 70‘s when we could not drive our vehicle‘s because of maintanance and fuel shortage‘s but had load ‘s of explosive‘s for our ex.‘s
Any old fart‘s out there remember that one?
Because it was Army Wide!!!
I sure do!!!

Thank God I have only 5 to go and I‘m only sticking around to see what Pension I may receive!
50yrs young and 5 to go so I can get old!
LOL

NATO is a cold war relic, designed to gang up on the Soviets. At the time it was incredibly important because we had no idea how dangerous the Soviets were (Or as we found out, Weren‘t), and needed a way of protecting the west from the "Threat" of communism.
If Nato were to become the UN it would leave out all the countries that aren‘t in the north Atlantic. The UN contributes humanitarian aid as well as -Attempting- to provide security etc. etc.
while nato is a much heavier into military action and the like. Also if you look at the history of NATO actions, many have been in SUPPORT of UN resolutions.
I suppose NATO has adapted to the new world to a certain extent as well, so it is not entirely useless, and neither is the UN. What is important is that they remain two seperate internationally recognised and important political bodies.
As far as Canadas contribution to NATO goes, we do not pull as much weight as some of the member nations. If you take a moment to look at the NATO website and see all the countries who are members, we are certainly not at the bottom of the food chain so-to-speak.
Any response or debate on this topic would be welcomed very much!

NATO will likely devolve and remain for a time as a political forum. Out of the ashes will come the
EU rapid reaction force and essentially the EU armed forces. Germany and France have tethered themselves away from American foreign policy. Russian and Europe have signed energy deals making Russia dependant on European investment and markets. The US and Europe are undergoing changes that will make them go different ways. The US approach to South America, China, Russia, and the Middle East is quite different too. I can see NORAD growing with Australia and Britian due to their closeness to US foreign and military policy.

The US is reacting to preceived threats from North Korea, a emerging China, an uncertain Europe, Al-Qaida (various terorists), and Syria/Iran. Europe, or that which makes up a
portion of NATO, does not have the same perception and has its own agenda. Times change.

I imagine that we ( Canada ) probably contribute a good bunch of coin to NATO.
If, however, they did throw us out maybe the powers that be would wake up and get the ball rolling for the CF...Or maybe not, with this countries leadership.

Governments have a tendency to plan for the future based on events of the past. As far as "Ottawa" is concerned, the Cold War is long concluded and the odds of an invasion of Canada are slim/non-existent. That ensures safety. So, no need of tanks, destroyers or fighter aircraft, etc... Alignment with the UN in the form of peacekeeping is seen as the contribution to the world stage. As long as the image is good, the status qui will continue.

Sorry, it isn‘t going to improve unless something drastic happens. An no one wants that.

Christ. I despise being such a pessimist, especially upon this topic. As for leadership, where is it?

"it isn‘t going to improve unless something drastic happens. An no one wants that."

Here‘s to that. In general the most depressing principle behind having a military is that people simply can not get along, and have the most brutal habit of displaying this through violence.
Leadership is a big issue though that is for certain, however, I believe that Canada is long overdue for a good leader. Perhaps it will come along soon, that‘s speculation though, not fact sadly.

Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army.Remember all the G8 countries can move their forces with THEIR equipment. We can‘t we have to rely on 3rd world countries shipping or rent a jet. Remember that fiasco off our East coast a few years back

I‘m waiting for the tv movie. :D

Actually, I‘m quite serious about that, why not? We‘ve just enjoyed that quality entertainment that was J. Lynch (I have to be careful as I didn‘t actually watch that, I was washing my panties that night). Why not a tv movie highlighting recent events of concern to Canada. We could have "Danger at Sea: The true story of a hijacked freighter and the 2 Sea Kings sent to retake her (1 actually made it)," or "PPCLI in Kabul: watch out for National Guardsman looking to score points." Or we could go back even further: "Somalia: who authorized that mission?" So many topics to choose from.

I‘m checking my tv guide, but I don‘t think I‘ll find such fare. That‘s ok, Survivor: Pearl Islands is still on. (phew)

And as for our place on the world stage, too many people misunderstand. That isn‘t a right; it‘s a responsibility. We‘re a part of these organizations and associations due to the contributions of generations past. There are too many countries to name who are waiting in the wings to replace us. And honestly, they‘ll have earned it when it happens. No point casting blame when a mirror will suffice.

Originally posted by Enzo:
[qb] I‘m waiting for the tv movie. :D

"And as for our place on the world stage, too many people misunderstand. That isn‘t a right; it‘s a responsibility. We‘re a part of these organizations and associations due to the contributions of generations past. There are too many countries to name who are waiting in the wings to replace us. And honestly, they‘ll have earned it when it happens. No point casting blame when a mirror will suffice." [/qb]
Well said, well said indeed!!!

Back