• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP training - breaks between modules?

Don_Rigs

Inactive
Reaction score
I have (finally) been pulled off the SHR and am back in the reserves as of last night. I am an officer cadet and still need to do my BTOP and CAP training. Unfortunately I won't be doing it this summer as I am also a mom and may not be able to have childcare set up for my little one in time for the BTOP in the three weeks before the course, but I am hoping.

As far as CAP training. If I do the regular 2.5 months how long is the break between modules? I am asking because I am hoping to come home on a few breaks...

Thanks!

There is no break in the course except getting a few weekends off here and there during the latter half of the course.  Unless you are specifically tasked to only do a certain amount of mods this summer, then complete the remianing later on, you will do the entire 11 weeks at once.  Typically the  course runs end May till mid August.

I highly recommend that if you can, you take the course in its entirety.  Not only will you be used to the PT schedual, but having the course material fresh in your mind will help you out in following mods. I suffered an injury that required continuing the course the following summer and in my specific trade I was never in a position to practice anything I learned and basically did a data dump.  Plus if you can stick with the same mates through out, you will have alot more fun and hopefully you will have earned the respect of your peers.

How many times a year is CAP held for infantry officer ?

I have heard it is only held in september of each year...that would be a bummer since I will be in St-Jean between sept. 06 - dec. 06 ?

What happens with candidates between jan. 07 and sept. 07 ? What do they do in the mean time ?

Waters said:
How many times a year is CAP held for infantry officer ?

I have heard it is only held in September of each year...that would be a bummer since I will be in St-Jean between Sept. 06 - Dec. 06 ?

What happens with candidates between Jan. 07 and Sept. 07 ? What do they do in the mean time ?

First off there is no such thing as CAP for Infantry Officer, the course is Common Army Phase meaning that all officers wishing to serve in the army will take this course together.  Arty, Inf, Armoured, log and you might even be lucky enough to get one of those crap hats on your course (Air Force Airfield Engineers). LOL.  CAP course are run several times a year, there are usually 3 separate courses running at once between May and August, because that is when RMC and Reservists can get the time to train.  I've  also heard of CAP running Jan-Mar and one just ended in Gagetown today.
Secondly if you are not on a course they will probably place you in A PAT platoon (Pers Awaiting Training), or if you are really lucky, you will be able to spend some time with an infantry unit and get some OJT.

This message is from Gagetown CTC.  I am on CAP as I write this.
2 Comments: 

1.) There are 2 blue hatters in my platoon, they rock!

2.)  Yes, we are getting weekends, except for the ones where we are in the field. DS will take your weekends away if you mess up REALLY bad though. Also, when you get back from the field, you are CB'd that night as forced rest.

The Canadian Army is the Best in the World :cdn:

So here's MY scenario - completed:
- IAP/BOTC in Dec 04;
- French SLT in Oct. 05 (in Victoria, BC  ???);
- MARS II common phase in Jan 06; and
- recoursed after MARS III S.N.A.F.U in simulators (a story in and of itself) in Apr 06.

I submitted my VOT for InfO 30 May 06, and already have the meeting with the base CO booked. File will be sent to BPSO, should sign off on that almost immediately I would hope, so that I can get taken off MARS III recourse and continue working with BOTC & do PT on my own time. Seems to me that getting all this signing off done could be done within two weeks, but that is left to be seen.

At the end of the day, my question is this: Anyone with any experience with VOTs know what type of timeline I'm looking at here? Weeks? Months? Am I going to be the CO of a Destroyer before I get sent to CAP?

Cheers

Back