• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANSOFCOM encounter with a civilian in Port Hawkesbury, N.S.

For ex's like this it may be mutually beneficial to work along side local reserve regiments.  Have them set up VCPs and cordon off the area, no?

What's going on? We're just setting up a practice road block and practice security cordon or something, I don't know much information.. but what I CAN tell you is all about this C7 rifle, I'll talk your ear off for the next 3 hours about it! Where are you going?

ObedientiaZelum said:
For ex's like this it may be mutually beneficial to work along side local reserve regiments.  Have them set up VCPs and cordon off the area, no?

Hey make it hyper realistic and not warn the troopies in the reserve unit about it beforehand (just a fwew key pers). Then spring a fan out on them on Friday night or Saturday telling them there is a real aid to civil power/ COIN emergency and see how many actually show up as opposed to the " I can't come in, I have a test to study for."  I mean how many do you really need  for  VCP?  >:D

You know, if they had done this in a major urban center, it may have gone completely unnoticed.

Hold it in Port Hawkesbury or any small Canadian town where everyone knows everybody else (maybe dating their good looking cousin ;D ), the CFA's will stand out like fly poop in salt.

From the POV of a civilian, I think that the photographer was way out of line. He was told more than once that CAF were on site, that the identities of those involved weren't public knowledge, etc. When the second guy, Adam, asked that he stop, he should have stopped, regardless of whether or not he was violating any laws. His comments calling the men "undercover soldiers" were, quite frankly, ridiculous, seeing as one man clearly identified himself as an MP. After being informed that a training exercise was being held by the CAF, he had the information that he wanted, therefore, he should have left and let the men and women who risk their lives on a daily basis for him to be able to have those rights and freedoms he mentioned, train to protect our country, so he, and people like him, can continue being a thorn in the side of hardworking soldiers, sailors, and airmen, by quoting the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to justify their, again, being frank, annoying actions. That's just my  :2c:.

Edit: Spelling.

Danjanou said:
Hey make it hyper realistic and not warn the troopies in the reserve unit about it beforehand (just a fwew key pers). Then spring a fan out on them on Friday night or Saturday telling them there is a real aid to civil power/ COIN emergency and see how many actually show up as opposed to the " I can't come in, I have a test to study for."  I mean how many do you really need  for  VCP?  >:D

You sir, are a goddamn evil individual, knowing full well that 1/2 the Regt will kill the other 1/2 to get on that tasking.  >:D

ObedientiaZelum said:

And so the Regimental history begins:

Year +1: Remember that crappy exercise where we just stood around on the streets and did nothing?

Year +3: Remember that time we were 500m away from the special forces exercise?

Year +7: Remember when we helped out JTF-2?

Year +12: Yes, I was there supporting JTF-2 on their secret mission.

Year +15: Of course, I can't really talk about my time with the special forces, but I was there.  Keeping it real.

(Note: Year to year progressions may be accelerated by alcohol and proximity of attractive members of the opposite sex.)

Ah yes, the older I get, the better I was.  Universally true.

Infanteer said:
Ah yes, the older I get, the better I was.  Universally true.
Or, as the country song says, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!"  ;D

Love how the photographer goes on about the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  You want to play that game?  Show me your media credentials.  Oh, don't have any?  Let me talk to you about the Privacy Act.  He can go right ahead and take his photos but, without those credentials that show these photos are being taken for news/media, he can't go posting anything that would identify these soldiers.  That would be an invasion of their privacy.

(Note - Any media photos I've ever seen of JTF2 has always had the faces blurred out.  REAL media tend to be very cooperative in that regard.)

Also love how his ratings and comments have been disabled on the youtube video.

Edited to add:  A quick online search brings up no published media by this man (aside from his internet site design company?) other than videos through social media which leads me to believe that he is not even a freelance photographer and does it as a hobby.

If you are in a public space you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.  And public officers have no reasonable expectation of privacy when acting in that capacity.

And "real" media, as you put it, know that they must play by whatever stupid rules are put in pace to maintain access.  Pissing off your sources results in those sources drying up.  Hence how many news reports refer to "senior officials" rather that identifying by name those speaking.

dapaterson said:
If you are in a public space you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Were those soldiers in public space or on private property? We know the photographer was on public property as he stated numerous times, but those individuals he was taking pictures of seem to be on private property.

PuckChaser said:
Were those soldiers in public space or on private property? We know the photographer was on public property as he stated numerous times, but those individuals he was taking pictures of seem to be on private property.

If the photos were taken on private property or of private property there is a reasonable expectation of privacy unless there is an extenuating circumstance that says otherwise.  For a reporter they could say that the event is newsworthy, which would be considered a reasonable circumstance (since who are we to say what is or isn't newsworthy).  Hence my remark about proof that this person is a member of the press. Even freelance photogs and reporters have recognized credentials.

Eye In The Sky said:
People are too thin-skinned these days.

That would include the CAF pers talking to him, though. I agree their tone was polite, but come on - name-dropping the RCMP det commander's name and calling him a close friend? First, a laughably thin intimidation tactic more suitable to use by entitled idiots trying to get into fancy restaurants by name-dropping the chef, and second, the det cmdr's follow-up (never heard of the guy) is a black mark against the CAF, as he basically tells the public the CAF dude full out lied. And was stupid enough to be taped lying. Nice.

Come on, small town, abandoned building - someone failed to plan if they didn't realize it would arouse curiosity, and these days curiosity=smartphone pics, at the very least. You want your special people unphotographed, keep their exercises within military areas, or at least where civs walking around on public property can't start taking pics of them. As for public/private - I can stand on the street and take pics of my neighborhood, most of which (houses/yards/people in these yards) is in fact private property. As long as I'm not using telephoto lenses to peek into your bedroom through your windows, I'm not breaking any laws.

The fact that he (the photographer) initiated a voice recording prior to any interaction with personnel makes me think he knew damn well what was going on in the area (most likely through a PAFFO release especially if he is "freelance" media) and showed up with the intent to force an altercation.  Unfortunately Adam took the bait and handled the situation pretty poorly.  My guess is he failed to read the prepared lines from the PAFFO and really didn't know how to handle the situation.

Name dropping the RCMP boss almost comes across as collusion and could imply the RCMP are in the pocket of the CF.

On the bright side the soldiers peers will probably be happy when the duty rooster for December comes out.

There is no way he was there about anything other then flashing lights.
Typical bored nosey guy with a camera in a tiny town.

Isn't everyone a photographer these days?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Name dropping the RCMP boss almost comes across as collusion and could implie the RCMP are in the pocket of the CF.

???

Perhaps brown nosing social climber, but collusion.....??

So much wrong with this story and video on all sides.  Anyone question the fact that this is the middle of the night, poor lighting, etc.  The video really doesn't show much of anything.

Back