• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

Mid-May pay statement was in my Hotmail account this morning, and yup the retro pay from Apr '11 to Apr '12 is there.

I should have made a bet with the chief clerk here, he thought there was no way any of the backpay would be ready in time.

Eye In The Sky said:
Mid-May pay statement was in my Hotmail account this morning, and yup the retro pay from Apr '11 to Apr '12 is there.

How much are we talking here extra after tax?

opcougar said:

Rough estimate: look at your usual semi-monthly net pay after taxes, pension etc, and take a quarter of that.  (Note: this rough estimate applies only to full-time pers; class A reserves are a whole other kettle of fish).

Logic behind the math: your semi-monthly pay is just over 4% of your annual pay.  The increase was 1.75% of pay, but taxes etc will be withheld.  So, 1/4 of 4% = 1%, or about what will be left after taxes etc are deducted.

Your experience may vary.

opcougar said:

Was just about $850 extra for me between the pay itself and AIRCRA.

meni0n said:
Do the new pay rates come into effect next month?

The new pay rates came into effect April 1st 2012. You will receive that backpay at the end of this month.

Actually, the first set of new pay rates came into effect 01 April 2011.  That's the retro on the mid-May pay.

On the end-May pay will be the retro from 01 April 2012.

Ok I think I got what's happening, backpay for this year will be in at the end of the May and I will see the new pay rate on my pay next month..

meni0n said:
I'm still getting paid under the old pay rates, at Cpl 4 I got 4816 but it's supposed to be 4888...

Which is why you will be backpaid at the end-month pay. The old rates still show up on your statement but the latest rates are effective.

just checked and mine is an extra $653.  No allowances in there but  the PMQ rental increase is  :crybaby:

stupid stupid stupid.

Made the mistake of looking back at the old reserve pay rates.  I started at $13.75 half day/$30.50 full day.  Now it is $42.85 half day/$85.70 full day.  Res pay was approx 70% of reg (little leeway depending on rank) and now 85% and a half day is paid as a half.  Anyone else feeling old? 

2 half days then was $3 less than a full day which was more than some made on the outside per hour. 

I started out at $11/22 for half and full days.  IMP's were in tins...

justmyalias said:
How "damaging"?

Significant?  or minor?

Have you previously received severance pay or RFRG?  How long is your current period of service?  Did you release, or transfer to the Supp Res then re-enter?  Eligibility is from your most recent date of enrolment - so if you released after 6 years, then came back a year later, those six prior years would not be counted.  If you had gone Supp Res in this example, those six years would count.

DAPaterson,

You mean that Inactive Sup Res time qualifies for the Severence buyout?

Thanks.

Yeah, I thought it was only the Ready Supp Res time that qualified.

There is only one Sipp Res - it was restructured about a decade ago.

Full-time service while on the Supp Res counts towards severance.  Just parked on the list time does not.

However:  If you were in the Reg F, transferred to the Supp Res, then rejoined the Reg F, your first period in the Reg F will count towards Severance; if you released, it will not.

So, compare Bloggins and Jones:  Both enrolled 01 March 2000.  On 29 Feb 2008 Bloggins transferred to the Supp Res and Jones released.  With less than 10 years in, neither received severance pay.  Both re-entered the Reg F on 01 Mar 2009, a year later.  Bloggins transferred from the Supp Res, Jones re-enrolled.

Now, with the new Severance rules, Bloggins will get: 12 years enrolled - 1 year Supp Res = 11 years of benefit, or 77 days of pay.  Jones, on the other hand, enrolled most recently in 2009, so he gets 3 years of benefit, or 21 days.

That's what I meant by Supp Time - it provides continuity between periods of Reg F and P Res service.

dapaterson said:
There is only one Sipp Res - it was restructured about a decade ago.

Full-time service while on the Supp Res counts towards severance.  Just parked on the list time does not.

However:  If you were in the Reg F, transferred to the Supp Res, then rejoined the Reg F, your first period in the Reg F will count towards Severance; if you released, it will not.

So, compare Bloggins and Jones:  Both enrolled 01 March 2000.  On 29 Feb 2008 Bloggins transferred to the Supp Res and Jones released.  With less than 10 years in, neither received severance pay.  Both re-entered the Reg F on 01 Mar 2009, a year later.  Bloggins transferred from the Supp Res, Jones re-enrolled.

Now, with the new Severance rules, Bloggins will get: 12 years enrolled - 1 year Supp Res = 11 years of benefit, or 77 days of pay.  Jones, on the other hand, enrolled most recently in 2009, so he gets 3 years of benefit, or 21 days.

That's what I meant by Supp Time - it provides continuity between periods of Reg F and P Res service.

This is also true for pensionable service. I did a 22 years stint before leaving initially in 02; and transferred to the supp at that time. I transferred back in Pres in 2006, reg in 2008 and now looking at leaving later on. On the paper received from the pension folks, they calculated 31 Years pensionable (with the 4 years in Sup) and 27 in paid service. This makes me index-able at 55.

Back