• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

AirDet said:
I was at a party this weekend and had a conversation with one of our OR clerks. They told me that several bases including this one didn't bother sending the PIL Applications to Ottawa as they came in like the CANFORGEN specified. Instead they sent them all in at once at the very end.

That's a pretty good kick in the teeth for those who had their crap together and submitted early. I guess those ones will be waiting till next near before they see any cash.

Then again, the clerk may have been mistaken.  ::)

One of the cardinal rules of money management (particularly within the CF) is Don't spend money that is not already in the bank.
This goes for promotion money (bomb an express test, fail medical, etc), TD money (injured and sent home early from course?), or in this case, payment in lieu of severance.

If you weren't planning on getting out this year why does it matter so much? At the risk of sounding like I drink the corporate kool-aid, I would expect hope current deployments, (ie. the Mission), is the highest priority of everyone in the CF. Yes, we do have organizational inefficiencies, and possibly too many levels of HQ, but your complaints are turning into whining and I already have tinnitus.

I certainly hope you "gentlemen" are not indicative of your unit's attitude.

For the record, I'm a 50%er. My payment is already posted.

Where I have a problem is the institutionalized inefficiencies in certain professions and trades. Our people deserve better than the callous attitudes of some of the bitter old timers that should've retired years ago.

To think both the army and navy can't figure out why all their bright young people are leaving...  :facepalm:

AirDet said:
Our people deserve better than the callous attitudes of some of the bitter old timers that should've retired years ago.

To think both the army and navy can't figure out why all their bright young people are leaving...  :facepalm:

I'm 25. I'm not even bitter, maybe a little sour, but not bitter. You probably don't spend a lot of time in the recruiting forum to know we have many many more bright young people applying then we need.

Also, I'm just going to call it like I see it, this isn't just the CA and RCN's problem.

But, I'm still in the army and obviously must be neither young nor bright, as those lucky few have all departed for the heavenly blue shores of the RCAF.

AirDet said:

Where I have a problem is the institutionalized inefficiencies in certain professions and trades. Our people deserve better than the callous attitudes of some of the bitter old timers that should've retired years ago.

Pull in your horns and put the big paintbrush away.

---Staff---

AirDet said:

It appears to me that you are a member of what I used to call the "Mcdonald's Generation".....You know; the ones who want to get in and get their burger/money/Trade/whatever fast and get out without putting in any effort/dedication/etc.  You give off an aura of one who has that great sense of "entitlement" that is so rampant amongst the younger generation these days.  So don't talk about others who have been there and have a very good idea of how slow bureaucracy moves in this nation.  Say......This has the makings of a great T-Shirt.

AirDet said:

I think what the Gentlemen were referring to was your blanket statements, such as "institutionalized inefficiencies".  The Logistics trade, on a day to day basis, deals with more (IMHO of course) than does the average "troop".  I could just as easily discuss the institutional inefficiencies of the Air ops, or any other trades.  Can you prove that any delays were caused by callous, bitter old timers, or are you making assumptions? In reality, this is "free money" which no one should have considered into their annual income or spent.... it's an allotment that had been held aside previously for when a member got out, but is now being paid out in lieu of a change in systems.  Unless the pers spent the money already under the assumption that they were getting it, than it shouldn't matter when they get it.  Sure, it would be nice to get it sooner rather than later, but as a over 50%er who hasn't received the payment, I focus my attention on the 50 things in my life that are more important than spending money that I never had.

Also, your statement of the best and brightest leaving is slightly ignorant of reality.  Not all the people getting out are the "best and brightest" and I would suggest factors such as re-adjustment to garrison routine from the pace of deployments, opportunities in the west, etc etc etc. 

As your source of information is "from a party" I'll assume that you're rank is in the Gnr-Bdr (Pte-Cpl) range.  You need to consider the bigger picture, particularly if you're going to post such schlock on a forum with some of the callous, bitter old timers on it.  Or have your facts straight.

What confuses me, simply, is...

AirDet said:
I was at a party this weekend and had a conversation with one of our OR clerks. They told me that several bases including this one didn't bother sending the PIL Applications to Ottawa as they came in like the CANFORGEN specified. Instead they sent them all in at once at the very end.

That's a pretty good kick in the teeth for those who had their crap together and submitted early. I guess those ones will be waiting till next near before they see any cash.

Then again, the clerk may have been mistaken.  ::)

(See MY bolded)

And further down he says...

AirDet said:

???

He was at a party.

Probably had a few so that his thought processes did not process the fact that what the "clerk" said and what he had in the bank did not equate to result in a logical conclusion.

;D

You guys are rather bitchy today. I'm guessing you're all Toronto fans.  ;)

I love reading these threads. You never know where the ride will take you. My thanks to those who understand and defended the support world in this thread.

Good news: PIL payment is on my 30 Apr 13 pay statement
Bad news: they withheld the taxes even though I filed the form to NOT withhold taxes :facepalm:

BinRat55 said:
Any 50%ers from Gagetown see their PiL yet?

If you are in a unit like mine, you will get your 50% when the clerks are good and ready to give it to you.  Although authorized to pay out as of 1 apr, more pressing issues such as inter-section golf day, Sqn BBQs, and standing down at noon on Fridays take priority.

Hmmm... you sound a little bitter? I was just curious - I know that MY very awesome RMS clerk is quite over worked and under appreciated...

technophile said:
If you are in a unit like mine, you will get your 50% when the clerks are good and ready to give it to you.  Although authorized to pay out as of 1 apr, more pressing issues such as inter-section golf day, Sqn BBQs, and standing down at noon on Fridays take priority.

Yeah, like you wouldn't take the rest of the day off on Friday if offered. Or miss the BBQ. Or a sport you were interested in just to hang about and do your job. ::)

recceguy said:
Yeah, like you wouldn't take the rest of the day off on Friday if offered. Or miss the BBQ. Or a sport you were interested in just to hang about and do your job. ::)

I'm all for time off, and morale building.  However, the direction on Friday was  "stand down if there is nothing else going on " . I know the OR shut down, because I was one of the pers who still stayed to 1600 as I had work to finish up.

Our OR is closed to " walk ins" every Wednesday so clerks can catch up. This week, they were also minimum manned on tues due to golf, then stood down on Friday afternoon at 1300.  I asked one of the clerks at the gym on Monday if PIL payments were going o be on the May pay, and he replied  " not likely because they are too busy"
Hmmmm. Sounds like a busy week to me.

On a slightly different rant, although related to my above example.  I am seeing more and more supervisors  pat themselves on the back for " looking after the troops" by giving time off and coming up with the " undermanned" excuse every time a tasking comes up.  Looking after the troops is fine, but only after the work is done.

I'm not a " newbie " Sigs  MCpl either for those that may suggest I need more time in to develop leadership skills and see " the other side of the coin" .  I was a Sgt in 2 RCR before remustering. I know all about making tough leadership decisions, and looking after my troops. We worked hard, played hard. Experienced extreme highs, and the lowest of lows. I never put myself before my troops, but I can't get over the attitude of garrison life. Especially in Ottawa.

@Technophile....

By the way you are talking it sounds like JSR? surprised in great Alberta on ex if that's the case,

The rest;

On this topic,
The only issue I can see coming with this is "HE/SHE has his? why don't I have mine?" As in the case with me, a buddy did his basic at approximately the same time as I did, no prior reserve for either of us, but he has his.

In a perfect world they would of had them all completed and done at once. Its not though, its understandable that it will be scattered because of the pure amount of people.

I do agree, that actual work takes precedence. Although, when someone is given permission to play on a Intersection team, that becomes a parade. The Chain of Command gave them the permission to participate. They should of said, listen we need you here, talk to the team/organizer see if you can sit this one out.

It is also not "Free" money as was stated earlier. This is an entitlement. The only reason why you would not get, or receive this money is if you quit. Retirement, contract ending, you get this. This is a change in the system that is allowing this not free money to be given early. Severance pay is a reward and thank you for your hard work and dedication and to set you up in your future endeavours.

I saw earlier about the "McDonald's generation." The Military is not for everyone, after QL3, QL5, PLQ, people may realize this and want to have a more stable home life. They are not taking an education and running. Many of us currently serving have gotten worn down with constant deployments and courses and exercises  over the past 5-10 years of service. Look at that, a member can go 5-10 from a recruit to QL6 member in ten years. They have done their duty, filled their contracts, done the work, and more often then not been through some f*cked up $h!t overseas.

Cut them some slack, thank them for their help and shake their hands on their last day.

Back