• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

ARMY_101 said:
Release = when you're completely out of the CF; not with the Primary Reserves, Rangers, CIC, or Supp Res.

based on this, if the person above releases then joins the pres he'll get his cash, if he/she component transfers into pres or whatever then he'll have to wait till the release from there, technicalities i guess

commander said:
i truly hope that in the event of war we receive the message and orders in a clearer fashion than this, as chaos knows no leadership yet at the same time answers to no one.
commander said:
based on this, if the person above releases then joins the pres he'll get his cash, if he/she component transfers into pres or whatever then he'll have to wait till the release from there, technicalities i guess

commander,

Perhaps you missed this?

Loachman said:
Welcome to Army.ca, commander.

Please capitalize where appropriate and use proper punctuation.

We likely won't be asking again.

Please try set the example that your username implies.

Milnet.ca Staff

commander said:

Right. But if you release from the Reg F then attempt to re-enroll in a PRes unit you're likely going to be waiting a while...

ARMY_101 said:
Right. But if you release from the Reg F then attempt to re-enroll in a PRes unit you're likely going to be waiting a while...

Yes, almost certainly. I've got one applicant who came to me eight months after release from RegF infantry; experienced Cpl, a deployment, a few good courses, etc. it has taken almost fully a year for them to determine via PLAR that all of his courses are still good to go as a skilled applicant to our infantry reserve unit. If you want to go from regs to reserves, CT. DO NOT release, because you'll have no easy 'back in'. Sorry for the tangent.

Maybe it was unique but I found the briefs given by SISIP within MARLANT were very clear and answered all questions. I personally thought that the distribution of the information (though I don't agree with the move itself) was very well handled. Again, maybe this one office's handling of it was unique.

Pat

hmmmm - I am with you Pat.  Attended two sessions on this and both times it was very clear what was happening.  Both sessions were put on by the Ottawa crew involved so maybe that made a difference.

In regards to MPRR - they will not be used in this at all.

Once you sign the form it is a done deal - you can not come back later to change it.  Make sure it is what you want the first time.

If you are considering retiring in the next few years do not elect to take the PIL.  Your file has to be audited for release but that can not happen until the PIL audit is completed.  If the Pil takes 3 years, the release takes another 6 months then you will have to wait until then before you can recieve any benefits such as your pension.  If I elect the PIL and decided to retire next year I could go 2-3 years with nothing coming in while they completed all the audits. 

The government would like this all paid out and to go away  as soon as possible.  If they had their way we would already be done it so there is no form of a cash grab on the government part in delaying things.  The big delay will be the number of files that have to be done by such a small team.  Glad I am not part of that team.

Actually, the biggest thing that is keeping me from taking the Payment in Lieu is that because I don't know WHEN I will receive it, I can't effectively tax plan for the money. Right now I'm posted to Ontario, and my next posting is (probably) to Quebec, with all the tax implications that come with Quebec. When I actually get this cash in my hands has a major bearing on how it is taxed. And because they aren't forecasting much besides that the audits will take "a while", I am going to be safe and keep this payment "in the bank" so to speak. Because I can control when my release date is. And to what province I move to on retirement.

Ostrozac said:
Actually, the biggest thing that is keeping me from taking the Payment in Lieu is that because I don't know WHEN I will receive it, I can't effectively tax plan for the money. Right now I'm posted to Ontario, and my next posting is (probably) to Quebec, with all the tax implications that come with Quebec. When I actually get this cash in my hands has a major bearing on how it is taxed. And because they aren't forecasting much besides that the audits will take "a while", I am going to be safe and keep this payment "in the bank" so to speak. Because I can control when my release date is. And to what province I move to on retirement.

If you have no prior Res F service and take half or less you'll get it almost immediately - no audit until release.

dapaterson said:
If you have no prior Res F service and take half or less you'll get it almost immediately - no audit until release.

Which doesn't apply to me -- I have prior reserve service. As does much (maybe most? I haven't seen good statistics) of the Regular Force. Even if I only want fifty bucks in lieu, it's going to be subject to an audit.

CANFORGEN 219/12 CMP 102/12 051908Z NOV 12
PAYMENT IN LIEU OF CANADIAN FORCES SEVERANCE PAY - UPDATE
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: A. CANFORGEN 062/12

B. CANFORGEN 119/12

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO:

PROVIDE A SITREP

CLARIFY VARIOUS POINTS IN REF A AND

PROVIDE MEMBERS WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE PAYMENT IN LIEU (PIL) OF THE CANADIAN FORCES SEVERANCE PAY (CFSP)

TO DATE, ALL ELIGIBLE CF MEMBERS SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER WITH THE ESTIMATE OF THE NUMBER OF YEARS OF ELIGIBLE SERVICE. THE ESTIMATES WERE BASED ON THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE PAY SYSTEMS FOR THE REG F (CCPS) OR THE RES F (RPSR). THE ESTIMATE MAY NOT SHOW ALL ELIGIBLE CF SERVICE (E.G.CONTINUOUS REGULAR FORCE (REG F) AND RESERVE FORCE (RES F) SERVICE). IF THIS IS THE CASE, CF MEMBERS WHO WISH TO RECEIVE A PIL OF CFSP SHOULD CONTACT THEIR BASE OR UNIT ORDERLY ROOM TO VERIFY THEIR SERVICE

CF MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT ALL ELECTIONS FOR A PIL OF CFSP MUST BE MADE DURING THE ELECTION PERIOD BETWEEN 14 DEC 12 AND 13 MAR 13. IAW POLICY PROVISIONS, ELECTIONS CANNOT BE MADE BEFORE OR AFTER THE ELECTION PERIOD. ALL ELECTION FORMS THAT ARE RECEIVED BY THE DEPT PRIOR TO THE START OF THE ELECTION PERIOD WILL BE RETURNED TO THE MEMBERS. ELECTION FORMS TO BE USED ARE PROVIDED DIRECTLY IN CBI 204.40 AT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE ADDRESS: HTTP://CMP-CPM.FORCES.MIL.CA/DGCB/CBI/ENGRAPH/CBI(UNDERSCORE)CHAPTER -204(UNDERSCORE)E.ASP?SIDESECTION(EQUAL SIGN)

WHAT FOLLOWS IS INFO THAT CF MEMBERS SHOULD CONSIDER PRIOR TO MAKING AN ELECTION

CF MEMBERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO READ THE INFO WRT CFSP, PIL OF CFSP, TAXES, INCOME TAX REDUCTION, DEDUCTIONS AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO RRSP OR SPOUSAL RRSP THAT ARE FOUND IN THE CFSP/REHABILITATION LEAVE ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTIVE, IN THE FREQUENTLY UPDATED Q S AND A S ON THE TWO DGCB WEBSITES AND THE DMCA 4 PIL TEAM WEBSITE THAT FOLLOW:

(1). DGCB INTRANET: HTTP://CMP-CPM.FORCES.MIL.CA/DGCB/DPSP/ENGRAPH/PENSIONRETIREMENT(UND ERSCORE)E.ASP?SIDESECTION(EQUAL SIGN)4(AMPERSAND)SIDECAT(EQUAL SIGN)15

(2). DGCB INTERNET: HTTP://WWW.CMP-CPM.FORCES.GC.CA/DGCB-DGRAS/PS/SG-IG/SG-IG/INDEX-ENG. ASP

(3). DMCA 4 PIL TEAM INTRANET: HTTP://CMP-CPM.FORCES.MIL.CA/DGMC/ENGRAPH/DMCA4(UNDERSCORE)PIL(UNDER SCORE)TEAM(UNDERSCORE)E.ASP

INCOME TAX, EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE AND CONTRIBUTION TO CPP/QPP WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM THE PIL OF CFSP

INCOME TAX CONSIDERATIONS: THE TAXATION RULES FOR PIL OF THE CFSP ARE DIFFERENT FROM THOSE REGARDING A CFSP THAT IS TAKEN AT RELEASE

(1). THE CFSP TAKEN AT RELEASE IS CONSIDERED A RETIRING ALLOWANCE AND IAW CRA RULES MEMBERS CAN TRANSFER THE ELIGIBLE PART OF THEIR CFSP TO THEIR OWN RRSP OR RPP (I.E. 2000 DOLLARS FOR EACH YEAR OR PARTIAL YEAR OF SVC PRIOR TO 1996 IN WHICH THE MEMBER WAS EMPLOYED BY THE EMPLOYER FROM WHOM THEY RECEIVED THE RETIRING ALLOWANCE AND AN ADDITIONAL 1500 DOLLARS FOR EACH YEAR OR PARTIAL YEAR OF SVC BEFORE 1989 IN WHICH NO PENSION OR DPSP BENEFIT WAS EARNED FROM EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTIONS THAT EITHER VESTED IN THE MEMBER AT THE TIME OF PAYMENT OR WERE PAID TO THE MEMBER). FOR MORE INFO ON TRANSFERING THE ELIGIBLE PART OF A RETIRING ALLOWANCE CF MEMBERS SHOULD VIEW THE CRA WEBSITE AT: HTTP://WWW.CRA-ARC.GC.CA/TX/NDVDLS/TPCS/RRSP-REER/TRNSFRRNG/RTRNG-EN G.HTML

(2). PIL OF CFSP RECEIVED IN WHOLE OR IN PART PRIOR TO RELEASE IS CONSIDERED EMPLOYMENT INCOME AND WILL BE TAXED AS PER THE CRA REGULATIONS. CRA TRANSFER RULES, AS DESCRIBED IN PARA 4, SUBPARA C(1) ABOVE, DO NOT APPLY TO ANY PIL OF CFSP

(3). MEMBERS WHO HAVE UNUSED RRSP ROOM: CRA HAS ALLOWED THE EMPLOYER TO REDUCE THE REQUIRED INCOME TAX ON ALL OR PART OF THE PIL OF CFSP BY MEANS OF A TAX WAIVER OF UP TO 10 K. THE TAX WAIVER FORM IS INCLUDED IN THE CFSP AND THE REHABILITATION LEAVE ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTIVE. IT MUST BE ATTACHED TO THE ELECTION FORM THAT THE CF MEMBER WILL SUBMIT. AT THE TIME OF PAYMENT, INCOME TAX WILL BE WITHHELD ON ANY REMAINING AMOUNT NOT INDICATED ON THE TAX WAIVER FORM. CF MEMBERS WHO WISH TO TRANSFER MORE THAN 10K TO THEIR RRSP MUST SEND A COMPLETED T1213 TO CRA OR, IF THEY ARE QUEBEC RESIDENTS, A TP-1016-V TO MRQ. AT THE TOP OF THEIR FORM, THEY MUST INDICATE THE YEAR IN WHICH THEY WANT TO RECEIVE PAYMENT. THE TAX WAIVER PROCESS IS OUTLINED AT SECTIONS 3.13 AND 3.14 OF THE CFSP/REHABILITATION LEAVE ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTIVE: HTTP://CMP-CPM.FORCES.MIL.CA/DGCB/DPSP/ENGRAPH/DOWNLOAD(UNDERSCORE)E .ASP(QUESTION MARK)DOCID (EQUAL SIGN)52. MEMBERS MAY CONTACT THEIR LOCAL CRA TAX OFFICE BY CALLING 1-800-959-8281 OR BY WRITING TO HTTP://WWW.CRA-ARC.GC.CA/MENU-ENG.HTML. MEMBERS WHO ARE QUEBEC RESIDENTS MAY CONTACT REVENU QUEBEC BY CALLING 1-800-267-6299 OR BY WRITING TO HTTP:WWW.REVENUQUEBEC.CA/EN

CF MEMBERS WHO ARE ON MATA OR PATA LWOP SHOULD CONSULT SERVICE CANADA TO DETERMINE THE IMPACT OF RECEIVING THE PIL OF CFSP WHILE IN RECEIPT OF MATA OR PATA BENEFITS. RESIDENTS OF QC SHOULD CONSULT EMPLOI ET SOLIDARITE SOCIALE QC CONCERNING THE IMPACT TO QC PARENTAL INSURANCE PLAN (QPIP) BENEFITS

SHOULD THE CF MEMBER HAVE A RECOVERABLE DEBIT BALANCE OR EXTENDED RECOVERY PLAN, THE PIL OF CFSP SHALL BE USED TO RECOVER THE DEBT. SHOULD THERE BE A COURT ORDER GARNISHMENT REGARDING A COMMERCIAL DEBT OR ARREARS ON FAMILY SUPPORT, THE AMOUNTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM ANY PIL OF CFSP TO SATISFY ANY COURT ORDER THE DEPARTMENT HAS RECEIVED

QUESTIONS CONCERNING POLICY PROVISIONS FOR CFSP AND PIL OF CFSP MAY BE DIRECTED TO THE FOLLOWING POSITIONAL MAILBOX: INTRANET: (PLUS SIGN)SOCIAL PROGRAMS - PROGRAMMES SOCIAUX(AT SIGN)CMP(UNDERSCORE)DPSP (AT SIGN)OTTAWA-HULL INTERNET: SOCIALPROGRAMS-PROGRAMMESSOCIAUX(AT SIGN)FORCES.GC.CA

THE PROCESSING OF PAYMENTS WILL BE MADE ONCE ALL INFORMATION IS VALIDATED AND/OR ANY NECESSARY AUDITS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED. ALTHOUGH EACH SITUATION IS DISTINCT, CF MEMBERS WHO ARE CONSIDERING ELECTING FOR A PIL OF THE CFSP ARE ADVISED TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT POSSIBLE LENGTHY PAYMENT PROCESSING TIMES GIVEN THE ANTICIPATED VOLUME OF ELECTIONS. CF MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DEMANDING ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS AND THEY SHOULD NOT ANTICIPATE RECEIVING THEIR PAYMENT PRIOR TO 2013

THERE ARE A NUMBER OF SPREADSHEETS CIRCULATING THROUGHOUT THE CF. MEMBERS ARE CAUTIONED THAT USE OF THESE SPREADSHEETS MAY PRODUCE INVALID RESULTS WRT INDIVIDUAL CALCULATIONS. IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT MEMBERS CONSULT WITH A PROFESSIONAL ADVISOR (FINANCIAL, INVESTMENT, TAX, ETC) IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT THEY HAVE ALL OF THE NECESSARY INFORMATION PRIOR TO MAKING THEIR DECISION TO ELECT THE PIL OF THE CFSP

THE FOL ARE AMENDMENTS TO REF B:

PARA 3 B OF REF B IS TO READ AS FOLLOWS: ON OR AFTER 17 SEP 12: CF MEMBERS WHO HAVE NOT RECEIVED A PIL ESTIMATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO ADVISE THEIR UNIT CHIEF CLERK. CCPS/RPSR WILL HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO PROVIDE RE-PRINTS TO CF MEMBERS

PARA 4 C OF REF B IS TO READ AS FOLLOWS: 3 DEC 12: DMCA PIL TEAM OPERATIONAL

CF MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO VISIT THE WEBSITES IDENTIFIED ABOVE AND TO CONSULT WITH A PROFESSIONAL ADVISOR BEFORE MAKING THEIR DECISION. CF MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT ELECTIONS FORMS ARE NOT TO BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE START OF THE ELECTION PERIOD ON 14 DEC 12

SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

ARMY_101 said:
THE PROCESSING OF PAYMENTS WILL BE MADE ONCE ALL INFORMATION IS VALIDATED AND/OR ANY NECESSARY AUDITS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED. ALTHOUGH EACH SITUATION IS DISTINCT, CF MEMBERS WHO ARE CONSIDERING ELECTING FOR A PIL OF THE CFSP ARE ADVISED TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT POSSIBLE LENGTHY PAYMENT PROCESSING TIMES GIVEN THE ANTICIPATED VOLUME OF ELECTIONS. CF MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DEMANDING ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS AND THEY SHOULD NOT ANTICIPATE RECEIVING THEIR PAYMENT PRIOR TO 2013

:facepalm:

I am going to assume they mean 2014, which is just magical of course. 

Eye In The Sky said:
:facepalm:

I am going to assume they mean 2014, which is just magical of course.

No, they mean 2013.  Some folks think that if they submit their paperwork in the middle of Christmas block leave that it will magically be processed before the new year.

Again, if you've only ever served in the Reg F and take half or less as PIL your clerk will enter it into CCPS and you'll be paid on the next payrun (or possibly the one after).  For a large number of CF Reg F members the process will be relatively simple and painless.

I talked to my clerk and she said there was no way to verify reserve service on her end.  That some would have to dig through the archives

Sorry for the stupid question folks but I've been on course since May and haven't been able to keep up on this, nor talk to any clerks really.

Just want to confirm that this

"CF MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT ALL ELECTIONS FOR A PIL OF CFSP MUST BE MADE DURING THE ELECTION PERIOD BETWEEN 14 DEC 12 AND 13 MAR 13."

Means that I have until 13 MAR 13 to decide whether or not I want the moneys now or whether I want to receive it when I retire.

I ask because:

"TO DATE, ALL ELIGIBLE CF MEMBERS SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER WITH THE ESTIMATE OF THE NUMBER OF YEARS OF ELIGIBLE SERVICE."

I haven't received this yet, although all my peers have, and I'd prefer to deal with it in the new year when I get to battalion if I can.

Cheers

ballz said:
Sorry for the stupid question folks but I've been on course since May and haven't been able to keep up on this, nor talk to any clerks really.

Just want to confirm that this

"CF MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT ALL ELECTIONS FOR A PIL OF CFSP MUST BE MADE DURING THE ELECTION PERIOD BETWEEN 14 DEC 12 AND 13 MAR 13."

Means that I have until 13 MAR 13 to decide whether or not I want the moneys now or whether I want to receive it when I retire.

I ask because:

"TO DATE, ALL ELIGIBLE CF MEMBERS SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER WITH THE ESTIMATE OF THE NUMBER OF YEARS OF ELIGIBLE SERVICE."

I haven't received this yet, although all my peers have, and I'd prefer to deal with it in the new year when I get to battalion if I can.

Cheers

Yes, that is the election period, but if you haven't received your letter yet, contact your OR.

Before I make my election I have to find out whether the 8 years of PiL would be better off sitting in an RRSP collecting interest over the next 20 years or taking it when I release at a higher rank/pay level.  ASSUMING I get promoted, have to see what the difference would be for the interest vs the increase in pay.... I imagine 8 weeks of Cpl pay sitting in an RRSP for 20 years is probably still better off than 8 weeks of Sgt or Warrant's pay at the end of my career.

Everyone's situation is different. SISIP offers inexpensive services - Id recommend giving them a call.

Its interesting to note that the RCMP have gotten or are getting theirs now or in very short order.  That is not just me saying that, I have a buddy who is ex-CF who is RCMP now and he just confirmed that tonight.

Us?  ::)

Back