• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

This has been discussed previously in this thread. Short answer it should be. There are many of us in the same boat, it's just all about hurry up and wait.

Sorry I couldn't provide anything else. Speculation has it that reserve time WILL be calculated as part of your PiL, however has not been done yet. The most important thing to do right now is ensure the personal info on your calculation is correct (SN, name, rank, etc.) and perhaps update your OR with the date of your enrolment into the reserves.

Cheers

Your OR should be able to access your MPRR from your Reserve service within PeopleSoft.

Unfortunately, a number of years ago it was decided to have separate MPRRs for Res and Reg service; a better software design choice then would have avoided lots of problems & extra work now.

I got my calculation too and don't understand their math on the number of years eligible.
There is a 4 year difference between the years of pensionable service and what they come up with.

I got my pension calculation in June. It said I had 17.5 years

Severance calc says I only get 13 years. They also list several of my class A years as being on the supp list for half the year. I never bounced on and off the supp list several years in a row. I just never went away those summers for training. Anyone else see that on their calculation???

I thought we still get the retirement gratuity for years served up to 2006 and then they use a dif calculation after that??? As per the ne pension act for reservist - or dd that all change with this new severance buyout???

Clue me in. I'm in the dark and my orderly room isn't much help.

Retirement gratuity is no more; there's only CF Severance.

As for your situation, get a copy of your MPRR and look over it; there may be some information there.

My mprr doesnt show match their assessment.

I had a brief period of ed&t for one of the years in question. The rest was your typical class a for regular training years. My unit has no training from may to end of August - the same periods that match this supposive supp res periods they dreamed up. I will have to start writing and ask them to clarify. Was wondering if anyone else has same experience ad what they did.

Zoomie said:
/rumour alert

My SOR is informing our members that the CFSP eligible service criteria is going to change - to the effect that the PRes member will only get accounted for Class B/C time (Like the COATS, CIC members currently do).  I've re-read the CANFORGEN, CBI 204.40 and the relevant DGCB references - nothing there to indicate a rewrite is in process.  I'm hoping that my admin staff simply got duff-Gen from the meeting in Ottawa.  If other admin members could confirm or deny this rumour...  They say that a new CANFORGEN will come out soon to reflect these changes.

??

There is a CANFORGEN amendment coming soon. What that is, we'll see.

GD said:
I received a letter from the CF about Payment in Lieu of CF Severance Pay and they have counted 1.56 years or 1 year and 205 days which does not include my 3 years in the reserves. Is my reserve time not counted because I had to release from the reserves to join the reg force or is due to lack of time in the reserves?

Thank You

According to a briefing this morning from SISIP, Res time is only counted if there was no break in service. So if you released and re-enrolled RegF, only the RegF time is counted.

Zoomie said:
/rumour alert

My SOR is informing our members that the CFSP eligible service criteria is going to change - to the effect that the PRes member will only get accounted for Class B/C time (Like the COATS, CIC members currently do).  I've re-read the CANFORGEN, CBI 204.40 and the relevant DGCB references - nothing there to indicate a rewrite is in process.  I'm hoping that my admin staff simply got duff-Gen from the meeting in Ottawa.  If other admin members could confirm or deny this rumour...  They say that a new CANFORGEN will come out soon to reflect these changes.

??

I can not see how THEY could change something to being outside the parametres of the old reserve retirement gratuity. I would love for them to keep it as is, but worst case would be 3.5 days per year worked up to 20 then 7 days per year worked and that does cover CL A time (at 19.09 yrs for me, that will be a bit of a kick in the junk as I was and am planning on staying in a while longer yet... just 104 days to my 20).

They cut the CL A time and well... I don't know... I could not see how that would be seen as fair and equitable based on what was previously offered.

Teeps74 said:
I can not see how THEY could change something to being outside the parametres of the old reserve retirement gratuity. I would love for them to keep it as is, but worst case would be 3.5 days per year worked up to 20 then 7 days per year worked and that does cover CL A time (at 19.09 yrs for me, that will be a bit of a kick in the junk as I was and am planning on staying in a while longer yet... just 104 days to my 20).

They cut the CL A time and well... I don't know... I could not see how that would be seen as fair and equitable based on what was previously offered.

Moreover, if they try to complicate this by tracking service, all of a sudden the adminsitrative burden balloons. Where are they going to get the pers necessarily to review and calculate this in a reasonably timely manner- the reserve pension cell? Oh wait...

Brihard said:
Moreover, if they try to complicate this by tracking service, all of a sudden the adminsitrative burden balloons. Where are they going to get the pers necessarily to review and calculate this in a reasonably timely manner- the reserve pension cell? Oh wait...

They're standing up a special cell just for processing severance pay. They're under DMCA 4.

ARMY_101 said:
They're standing up a special cell just for processing severance pay. They're under DMCA 4.

Yes, and even under the current plans that cell will be hiring reservists on Class B til 17 Nov 2014; that's before any complicated process of calculating precise durations of Class B and C service and the thousand inevitable minor goofs that will have to be revisited. The point I was getting at is that we have apst experience suggesting this has high potential to be an adminsitrative nightmare that will have people waiting for years to get what should be very simple to figure out- and under the current policy, is. Having settled on what they have, and having figured costs out already, why frig with it?

Brihard said:
Yes, and even under the current plans that cell will be hiring reservists on Class B til 17 Nov 2014; that's before any complicated process of calculating precise durations of Class B and C service and the thousand inevitable minor goofs that will have to be revisited. The point I was getting at is that we have apst experience suggesting this has high potential to be an adminsitrative nightmare that will have people waiting for years to get what should be very simple to figure out- and under the current policy, is. Having settled on what they have, and having figured costs out already, why frig with it?

Might not be redressable... But, honorary Cols do not bother with the redress system anyways. Any such plan to cut the CL A component of the reserve gratuity, will likely result in lots of grumbling in the messes. Honoraries have been known to frequent messes. I'll leave it at that...

Oh, and paying people to figure out ways to cheap people out... Well, this is all just rumour and supposition.

Teeps74 said:
Oh, and paying people to figure out ways to cheap people out... Well, this is all just rumour and supposition.

The positions int he PILS cell are up on REO, but yes- what specifically those pers will be doing remains speculation. We can only hope that the approach will simply be to verify calendar years of service, pay out, and get this squared away ASAP.

Brihard said:
The positions int he PILS cell are up on REO, but yes- what specifically those pers will be doing remains speculation. We can only hope that the approach will simply be to verify calendar years of service, pay out, and get this squared away ASAP.

That verification may be quite detailed, as records aren't always kept properly.  As well, for anyone with mixed Res and Reg service, they must verify what has previously been paid out as severance or RFRG (if anything).

Nowhere near as complex as the Reserve pension buyback, but almost an order of magnitude more people (90K vs 12K).

dapaterson said:
That verification may be quite detailed, as records aren't always kept properly.  As well, for anyone with mixed Res and Reg service, they must verify what has previously been paid out as severance or RFRG (if anything).

Nowhere near as complex as the Reserve pension buyback, but almost an order of magnitude more people (90K vs 12K).

Yup, understood- which I think only adds to my point as to how huge a gong show it will be if they alter the PIL severage formula.

So apparently if you choose a partial payment of 50% or less, it is processed locally on your base specifically by the same people that process your pay. Now, in the event you choose 100% pil instead, it is processed at NDHQ and you will receive payment within 2-3 years (and yes you pay taxes only in the actual payment year).

my main issue with the second part is that i feel the CF is incentivizing us to choose 50% or lower. All whilst if someone picks 100% and they take 2-3 years to pay, they stand to make millions in interest with our money, yet i see no plan to pass on the revenues.

now the main question is, is it constitutional for the DND to play revenue with our benefits ? or limit the number of people processing in order to fulfil an internal agenda ? seems the easiest way to resolve this is to have the DND transfer both the funds and authority to another department or independent authority for processing.

Here's one I'm trying to figure out. Let's say someone elects in December to take their payout. Then at some point in 2013 they release. Having already made the decision to elect at 100% prior to initiating release, are they going to get boned out of any or all of it? Or, having stopped the clock at March 2012, does that mean that anyone releasing prior to either 10 or 20 years won't be penalized?

commander said:
So apparently if you choose a partial payment of 50% or less, it is processed locally on your base specifically by the same people that process your pay.

Where did you hear this?

Back