• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians open new front against Taliban

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadians open new front against Taliban
Push into insurgents' territory part of a flurry of NATO activity in southern Afghanistan as winter starts to impede enemy's movement
GRAEME SMITH December 10, 2007
Article Link

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN -- A Canadian-led offensive opened a new front against the Taliban in Kandahar this weekend, adding pressure on the insurgents as they also faced a major attack from NATO and Afghan forces in neighbouring Helmand.

Canadian soldiers and their allies advanced on foot into the fields around Zangabad, a village about 40 kilometres southwest of Kandahar city, at daybreak on Saturday. An Afghan military statement later said 10 insurgents were killed in the attack, but a Canadian commander said the number was higher, without giving details.

Under the name Operation Sure Thing, the offensive marked the first time Canada's battle group has fought alongside the famed Gurkhas, soldiers of Nepalese origins who have fought under British command since the 1800s. Afghan soldiers also joined the fight.

The Canadians made their push into Taliban territory at the same time as British and U.S. forces continue to lead an effort to recapture Musa Qala, a town in northern Helmand province that the insurgents had used as a model for their alternative system of government.
More on link

Afghans, Ghurkas & Canadians all together in a fight...... Yowze! 
While I cringe at the Op name "SURE THING", best wishes & good hunting to all!

CHIMO!

Give 'em hell guys :gunner:!  I'm rooting for you and praying for you, Godspeed. :cdnsalute:

I tried Combat Camera for pictures, but the site didn't seem to be working. It would be interesting to see the Ghurkas & Canadians working together.

Keep up the good work!

geo said:
While I cringe at the Op name "SURE THING", best wishes & good hunting to all!  CHIMO!

Yes who's naming these Ops...geez!  Can't wait for Op "Get Funky"!  ;)  Anyway, here's hoping it is a sure thing!  :salute:

Just like everyone else is saying;

GIVE THEM HELL TROOPS.... :salute: :cdn:

May God have mercy upon the enemies, because the Task Force won't.

Actually I have worked with Ghurkas on operations before. They really cool. I like their way of doing things and they looked after my crew very well.

Canadians have had a lot of experience with the Ghurkas.

Some Cdn officers were seconded to the Ghurkas during WW2 and the war against Japan.  They had nothing but praise for their singleminded dedication to the case at hand.... to close with and destroy the ennemy (Japanese).  They were/are very good.

In many respects I am dissapointed that upon retirement from the army, Ghurkas are returned to Nepal AND pensioned off at the salary and rates currently paid for their rank - in the Indian army (VS British army pension rates)

Sgt  Schultz (SANKT NIKOLAUS) said:
May God have mercy upon the enemies, because the Task Force won't.

No mercy for the savages, give them hell and don't let up.

+1 on the OP name.

Back