• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

Looks like an interesting story and some new access for the media.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/

More from CTV:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/behind-the-secret-world-of-canada-s-covert-commandos-1.1761614#ixzz2y1IdmIjC

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-transcript-q-a-with-a-canadian-special-forces-commander-1.1761709

It's a bit long and too full of photos to post, but here is a good article from our (Army.ca's) friend Mercedes Stephenson of CTV News.

I hope the video does a better job of concealing the operator's faces.

For those who did not see the episode, videos posted here:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=319697&playlistId=1.1761339&binId=1.811589&playlistPageNum=1

The Robert Fowler interview was not played in its entirety. The video is 18 mins long, and worth a watch.

Rider Pride said:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=319697&playlistId=1.1761339&binId=1.811589&playlistPageNum=1

The Robert Fowler interview was not played in its entirety. The video is 18 mins long, and worth a watch.

Good vid, RP. Thanks.

Rider Pride said:

Wow

Those shooting drills during part 1 were inspiring to watch. Those operators made it look so fluid and easy.

Hi there,

I'm a student in college, I'm 20 and I'm really interested in joining the armed forces. I've heard that with a university degree you can become a captain, where the pay is good and there is a need for captains. unfortunately I'm in college and they don't take that into consideration. I'm assuming I'm gonna have to start from private and work my way up. I just wanna know if that's the case and how ranking works ( ranks, how long it takes to rank up and factors to increase my chances of moving up). I've also got my eyes on CSOR, that's my real goal. I want to get into Csor as quickly as possible. And my last question, I'm wondering if Csor operators make more money then regular infantry soldiers.

Have you read, comprehended and followed the rules of this site?

If you had, you would have spent more than a few minutes between registering and
posting a question that has been asked and answered so often nobody wants to bother answering your post.

And with that said, I am locking this thread.

As you are a student in college, you know how to conduct basic research. Please use the Search Function, and read through some older threads.

Once you have done your homework, feel free to ask whatever questions are needed to fill in any gaps.

I just watched a short segment from a few years ago where it highlighted CSORs role in training African soldiers in the Sahara. I thought it was very interesting, a closer look at a realm of the Canadian Armed Forces that is often kept behind closed doors. I have a huge amount of respect for these guys, the amount of dedication that must go into to maintaining their level of fitness is unreal.

I decided to go to the CANSOFCOM website and check it out a little bit. Let me step back and say I have no ambitions to be spec ops, so its not a "I wanna be CSOR/JTF2 but haven't even started BMQ" type topic, but I did I decided to go to the CANSOFCOM website and check it out a little bit. It said any member of the Armed Forces can apply and. potentially, join CSOR. Although politically speaking, it is a nice sentiment, anyone have an idea as to the actual likelihood, or prevalence, of someone outside of Infantry/Combat arms making the regiment?

I ask this out of curiosity for how our special forces work.

I did do a search and found some topics/comments of similar vein but not a discussion (recent) addressing this question exactly.

Thanks,

Its been my understanding that representatives from virtually all trades are required in one capacity or another.  No doubt that is why the website stated "any member of the Armed Forces can apply".  Someone has to feed them, fix their vehicles, drive their vehicles, care for their administration and pay, fix them medically and many/most other functions both in garrison and while deployed.  I'm not sure there would be much need for hard Navy trades but I'm sure others here can elaborate further.

Seem to recall mention in a discussion on here (perhaps when the regiment was founded) of openings for boatswains, and remember seeing boat cox'n fitness requirements for (I think) CSOR posted at Naden gym.

Schindler's Lift said:
Its been my understanding that representatives from virtually all trades are required in one capacity or another.  No doubt that is why the website stated "any member of the Armed Forces can apply".  Someone has to feed them, fix their vehicles, drive their vehicles, care for their administration and pay, fix them medically and many/most other functions both in garrison and while deployed.  I'm not sure there would be much need for hard Navy trades but I'm sure others here can elaborate further.

To expand a bit....anyone who would, by trade, be normally "feeding, fixing, or driving...and yes, even Navy" is more than welcome to apply as an SF operator.

As mentioned, members from any trade in the CAF can try out for SF Operator. Many pers coming from a non Infantry or Combat Arms background have been successful.

As well, there are a number of support positions available, how ever you must be in a trade they require to apply.

quadrapiper said:
Seem to recall mention in a discussion on here (perhaps when the regiment was founded) of openings for boatswains, and remember seeing boat cox'n fitness requirements for (I think) CSOR posted at Naden gym.

That would be JTF2, they have SO Coxswain positions; AFAIK, any trade can apply for that job.

Seems CSOR made an appearance at a recent Toronto Maple Leafs game celebrating CF Appreciation Night. Video here:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/117920/post-1351041/topicseen.html#new

I have done a search but to no avail and apologies if overlooekd.
I see that Canforgen messages need to be released for applications regarding CSOR SFOP. Does anybody know approximately when they release these messages?
I checked out the recent years of the CANFORGEN but found mostly officer employment, pres support, and reg force support.
Do these messages come out around the same time every year? If so when?
I have read somewhere they come out in the summer, but this seems too short of notice and a poor time of year (summer block leave / stand down) for the process to be completed within the CoC and by the member.

Any input?

Cheers.

You can contact a CSOR recruiter.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-caf-unique/operations-special-forces-locate.page

Interesting:

Buff a pellet charged with a V-42 dagger proper between two wings Or, all within an annulus Sable edged, charged in fess on either side with two arrows in saltire and inscribed CANADIAN SPECIAL OPERATIONS REGIMENT • RÉGIMENT DES OPÉRATIONS SPÉCIALES DU CANADA in letters Or, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and environed by two branches of maple leaves Or bound in base by a ribbon Gules surmounted by a scroll proper inscribed AUDEAMUS, a Latin word meaning “Let us dare”, in letters Sable, the whole between ten scrolls Sable edged and inscribed in letters Or, those to the dexter inscribed MONTE CAMINO; MONTE MAJO; ROME; ITALY, 1943-1944 / ITALIE, 1943-1944; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944 / NORD-OUEST DE L’EUROPE, 1944; those to the sinister inscribed MONTE LA DIFENSA – MONTE LA REMETANEA; ANZIO; ADVANCE TO THE TIBER / PROGRESSION VERS LE TIBRE; SOUTHERN FRANCE / SUD DE LA FRANCE; AFGHANISTAN;

vi502_20070090_arms_CSORStandard.jpg

vi502_20070090_fullb_CSORStandard.jpg

eliminator said:
Interesting:

Buff a pellet charged with a V-42 dagger proper between two wings Or, all within an annulus Sable edged, charged in fess on either side with two arrows in saltire and inscribed CANADIAN SPECIAL OPERATIONS REGIMENT • RÉGIMENT DES OPÉRATIONS SPÉCIALES DU CANADA in letters Or, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and environed by two branches of maple leaves Or bound in base by a ribbon Gules surmounted by a scroll proper inscribed AUDEAMUS, a Latin word meaning “Let us dare”, in letters Sable, the whole between ten scrolls Sable edged and inscribed in letters Or, those to the dexter inscribed MONTE CAMINO; MONTE MAJO; ROME; ITALY, 1943-1944 / ITALIE, 1943-1944; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944 / NORD-OUEST DE L’EUROPE, 1944; those to the sinister inscribed MONTE LA DIFENSA – MONTE LA REMETANEA; ANZIO; ADVANCE TO THE TIBER / PROGRESSION VERS LE TIBRE; SOUTHERN FRANCE / SUD DE LA FRANCE; AFGHANISTAN;

vi502_20070090_arms_CSORStandard.jpg

vi502_20070090_fullb_CSORStandard.jpg

OK.  Their Battle Honours perpetuate the FSSF.  This has been known for some time now.

There is still one signature missing, and that is that of EIIR.

Back