• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
If "Special Forces" are used to train indigenous forces in counterinsurgency, then aren't our OMLT's "special forces"?

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the quote waking heart provided was referring to THE Special Forces (ie US Army Special Forces aka green berets), rather than the more broad term Special OPERATION Forces ie everyone else. (someone tried clearing that up on the last page can't remember who it was).

Hatchet Man said:
I think the confusion lies in the fact that the quote waking heart provided was referring to THE Special Forces (ie US Army Special Forces aka green berets), rather than the more broad term Special OPERATION Forces ie everyone else. (someone tried clearing that up on the last page can't remember who it was).

Uh-oh!  Not the Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3 thing about to happen all over again?  :eek:

Yeah no your right my bad

wakingheart said:
Special Forces (dictionary.com)

–noun
Army personnel trained to organize, instruct, supply, and supervise indigenous forces engaged in guerrilla warfare and counterinsurgency operations, and to themselves conduct unconventional warfare.
Dictionaries are good for definitions, but they have their limitations, ans some dictionaries are more appropriate than others.

If one checks the NATO dictionary, AAP-6(2007), they will find absolutely no entries for "special operations forces" and the term "special forces" does not even appear.  However, you do find:

direct action
A short-duration strike or other small-scale offensive action by special operations forces or special operations-capable units to seize, destroy, capture, recover or inflict damage to achieve specific, welldefined and often time-sensitive results.
01 Oct 2001
special operations
Military activities conducted by specially designated, organized, trained and equipped forces using operational techniques and modes of employment not standard to conventional forces.  These activities are conducted across the full range of military operations independently or in coordination with operations of conventional forces to achieve political, military, psychological and economic objectives. Politicomilitary considerations may require clandestine, covert or discreet techniques and the acceptance of a degree of physical and political risk not associated with conventional operations.
13 Dec 1999
special reconnaissance and surveillance
Reconnaissance and surveillance activities conducted by special operations forces, which complement theatre intelligence assets and systems by obtaining strategic and/or operational information. These are human intelligence operations, conducted independently or in support of conventional operations, which may use special techniques, equipment, methods or indigenous assets.
04 Oct 2000
It's not conclusive as the term "infantry" is nowhere within AAP-6(2007), but it certainly gives a hint as to what the appropriate phrase should be.

The definition you got waking heart is definitley that of the american green berets. If you look at the wikipedia between the two you will see that the green berets are in charge of guerilla training while special operations is a vast general definition.

Anyway as it seems CSOR has changed some of the time requisites lately support staff no time is now needed and assaulters are a definite need of 2 years as the trying to recruit brand new privates has not seemed to work too well.

Do yourself a favour and don't rely on wikipedia to get your military facts.

Ex-Dragoon said:

Ah, Wikipedia, where the real meaning and definition of a subject is decided by college students and popular opinion...

And it's official... Wank-i-pedia it is...

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=490337

An excellent example.  And such a shame too, as the site does have a lot of useful and easily accessable information, but its all for shite if its not credible or reliable...

Super wannabe sniper ninja doorkicking asskicker checking in.

How similar is CSOR to the American SOF groups??

Lune said:
Super wannabe sniper ninja doorkicking asskicker checking in.

How similar is CSOR to the American SOF groups??

Use Search....and you will find the answers.

Milnet.ca Staff

Ex-Dragoon

Honestly I used CBC archival footage.... much more reliable then Wikipedia ;)

To tell you the truth I always kinda though Special Operations was essentially an occupation in professional suffering...lol

wakingheart said:
To tell you the truth I always kinda though Special Operations was essentially an occupation in professional suffering...lol

The more special you are, the heavier the ruck and the further you walk  ;)

A fighting knife sponsored by CSOR?

http://spartanbladesusa.com/Spartan-Harsey-Difensa

Rider Pride said:
A fighting knife sponsored by CSOR?

http://spartanbladesusa.com/Spartan-Harsey-Difensa

Mark Carey of Spartan Blades is a former US SF guy and is based out of Bragg/Fayettville.  Maybe someone posted down South as a LO (or whatever) struck up a deal.

My understanding as to why Jtf-2 was deployed to Afghanistan is even though it was outside the unit's mandate of domestic CT op's. DND had this unit with a multi-million dollar budget and couldn't defend the idea of not deploying them to Afghanistan to the government.  Which is somewhat understandable.

Or their mission statement is counter-terrorism home and abroad, and they were conducting CT operations we'll never hear about.

Back