• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers slightly wounded by roadside bomb blast in Kabul

the 48th regulator

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian soldiers slightly wounded by roadside bomb blast in Kabul

OTTAWA (CP) - Two Canadian soldiers suffered minor wounds after a roadside bomb went off next to their armoured patrol in Afghanistan's capital city of Kabul.

Defence Department officials say the blast hit one of two Canadian Coyote vehicles that were part of an armoured reconnaissance squadron patrolling Kabul before Sunday's parliamentary elections.

It was not immediately clear if any civilians were wounded or killed by the improvised explosive device that left a crater almost three metres wide.

The troops are believed to be with the Royal Canadian Dragoons and are among about 700 Canadian soldiers based at Camp Julien, including an infantry element from the 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment.

Investigators and a quick-reaction force were on the scene, where the Coyote was still able to move under its own power.

The troops, who are part of a NATO peacemaking force, will close Camp Julien after the elections and move south to the contingent's new operations base in Kandahar, which is under U.S. command.

Copyright © 2005 Canadian Press

Copyright 2005 © Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Privacy | Terms and Conditions | Send Feedback | Help

ROGERS™, HI-SPEED INTERNET and the other ROGERS and HI-SPEED INTERNET marks are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Rogers Communications Inc., used under license. YAHOO!®, the Yahoo! logos, and other Yahoo! product and service names are the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc., used under license.

Just heard this on the radio a few minutes ago.  I am waiting news on other means to clarify or tell more.  I hope that all are well.

That is a fairly large crater.

Yes the troops will be OK.  Question is, are they aggressively targeting Canadians now?

If they are aggressively targeting Canadians now then they are in for a world of hurt if you ask me.

They are aggressively targeting all western countries.  They know how yellow our gov't is.

No direct comment on how our government is about this type of situation (but I bet you can guess).  But I think our new Boss might take an aggressive stance himself.

Here's more:

Canadian soldiers slightly wounded in Kabul blast
CTV.ca News Staff

Two Canadian soldiers were slightly wounded in a roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan's capital city of Kabul.

The soldiers were part of an armoured reconnaissance squadron, patrolling the city before this Sunday's parliamentary elections.

Canadian Defence Department officials said the blast, which left a crater almost three metres wide, hit one of two Coyote vehicles the soldiers were riding in.

Investigators suspect that the improvised explosive device was was remotely triggered, and that it was aimed at the Canadian patrol.

"The size of the explosive charge is unknown," a senior Defence Department source told the Canadian Press on condition of anonymity. "The crater is estimated to be seven to eight feet in diameter."

It's not clear if any civilians were wounded or killed in the explosion, which CTV's Matt McClure said likely occurred near Camp Julien, home to the majority of Canadian soldiers serving in Afghanistan.

Officials said investigators and a quick-reaction force were on the scene. The Coyote was still apparently able to move under its own power.

McClure, reporting from Kandahar, said the Coyote light armoured vehicles provide the eyes and ears for the International Security Assistance Force in Kabul.

"They typically locate themselves on high points of land. There, they use special cameras to overlook the city to look for Taliban insurgents," McClure told CTV Newsnet.

McClure said Steve Bowes, commander of Canada's provincial reconstruction team in Afghanistan, is predicting other attacks on international forces in the lead up to Sunday's elections.

The two soldiers are believed to be with the Royal Canadian Dragoons, from CFB Petawawa in Ontario. They're among the approximately 700 Canadian soldiers based at Camp Julien, including an infantry element from the 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment.

As part of a NATO peacemaking force, the Canadians will close Camp Julien after the elections and move south to the contingent's new operations base in Kandahar, which is under U.S. command.

Apparently the DND source identified the wounds as lacerations.

(Edit to fix typo)

Glad all is well.

Just goes to show you that we must remain vigilant at all times and that anything can happen.

I hear from the old network that there was 4 injured in the blast not the 2 that was reported.  Anyone confirm this for sure?

http://680news.com/news/national/article.jsp?content=n091547A

The above link indicates two soldiers, but as well; I am pretty sure I saw 4 mentioned today on a 24 hours news channel in their bulletin area.   Hopefully the local 6pm news will sort it out. 

After reading the article a little closer, it mentions that the entire crew (four men) from the vehicle were taken to the hospital but only two soldiers suffered injuries. 

Aggressively targeting canadians? They already have. CPL Murphy was killed by a suicide bomber. (Back in early '04)

Glad they are well (as can be)

However the article has comment by CTV's Matt MCClure that are irresponsible and inaccurate.
Firstly
McClure, reporting from Kandahar

Is commenting on events that occured in Kabul, having been in Afghanistan I can tell you that is the equivalent of someone in Toronto commenting on an incidnet in Edmonton.  Secondly his conjecture that it must have happend near CJ since it is home...  I guess he has no idea of the Recce Sqn's mandate and patrol routes...
I wont even comment on the accuracye of some of his other comments.

Glad there was no fatal casualties, hope the injured are going to be OK.  :salute:

Dragoons are always vigilant and will stay strong    GO RECCE

"I guess he has no idea of the Recce Sqn's mandate and patrol routes..."
That's a good think isn't it.

He would have a vague concept of the patrol routes - and there are AOR maps the press see.

IF he was not grandstanding...

This is the information that 2RCR rear party gave to the Deployment Support Coordinator at our MFRC to help any worried spouses here....the rear party also advised that if there were further questions or concerns for family members to call the Family Support Cell.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/09/15/soldiers_injured_afghanistan20050915.html

I personally still believe that it was only 2 personell injured....until a guy in green tells me otherwise.

Dragoons are always vigilant and will stay strong    GO RECCE

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know the guys, trained with them...and gone on many a bender with them.

They'll be alright. I was comming back from Bagram when it happened...... Bloody savages.  :rage:

As for the reporter in Kandahar....    ::)

Regards

Back