• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan

What is your opinion about our Canadian comrades in Afghanistan? And Why?

• All for it!

Votes: 90 90.9%
  • Ok, but I need more reason

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • They're in Afghanistan?!?

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Get 'em out of there!

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters

Buschgirl427

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a year 1 International Baccalaureate student from Northern Ontario. To graduate from the IB program next year I have to write an extended thesis. The topic I am writing about is: "the ethics of the Canadian Soldiers being in Afghanistan". I would really appreciate some more opinions from outside of Northern Ontario about this issue from Canadian soldiers. Thank-you! I'm all up for discussion about it too, so feel free to PM me or add me to MSN to talk about this controversial subject  :warstory:

First off....we are not Peacekeeping in Afghanistan.

Peacekeeping is a tasking....not a profession. We are soldiers first  ;)

Secondly, there are huge amounts of discussions on this topic. Please conduct a search and pose your questions in a more direct context.

I won't lock this thread, not yet. I'm sure you will be getting all kinds of answers to this one.

Regards

MOD NOTE: Keep it professional troops!

please don't call my fellow soldiers insulting names like Peacekeeper. Thank you.

do a quick search, and you will understand in short order.

In fact, you can use my nickname as one of the key words. The Search function is both useful and decorative. It can be your best friend.

Buschgirl427 said:
How is being deemed a "peacekeeper" insulting?

Because Canadians have been led to believe in a world where our soldiers only go overseas in blue berets and "keep the peace" in nice places like the island of Cyprus.  This is a false premise.  Our soldiers, now and previously, are combat trained and are prepared to use those skills in the execution of their duties.  They are deploying to very dangerous places and, sadly, not all come home to their families the way they left. 

Please, explore the opinions of the many service members on these forums.  Gain an understanding of who they are and where they are coming from with their opinions.  Then, with an educated approach, you may be able to reach out to individual members and ask for their assistance in a more personal manner.  Not all will agree to help, but you may get more response than with your initial post.

Peacekeeping is something that the average Canadian citizen thinks that the CF is only capable of....thanks mostly to the Liberal media over the past 13 years or so.    ::)

It is a tasking and not a profession.

Many here on this site have served under the UN wearing the blue beret, with horror stories attached.

That being said, we don't like being called peacekeepers or peacemakers. We are Soldiers, Airmen, and Sailors.

We train to fight....in combat,and are fully prepared to use the skills that are honed over the years......not babysit other nations problem children.

What is happening in Afghanistan is not peacekeeping in any sense.

We are currently there attempting to help another country get back on it's feet and in the same stroke, get rid of dirtbags who help out guys who like to fly planes into skyscrapers. Remember that day?

The troops in theater right now are getting hit constantly with either IEDs, mortars, rockets, and of course full out attack.

IRT peacekeeping both sides sit down and agree to a ceasefire, certain concessions and withdraw for further negotiations. Cyprus is a prime example of peacekeeping.

I hope that gives you a little insight into the resentment of us being called "peacekeepers".

Regards

Buschgirl427 said:
How is being deemed a "peacekeeper" insulting?

The CDS said:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005

- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

While Canada is known for peacekeeping, it sure isn't all we do. Soldiers are deployed to keep the peace, not peacekeepers.

First of all let me say i have nothing against our troops being over seas. Yet, I think our government made a BIG mistake for withdrawing from the U.N. peacekeeping missions. In order to support the U.S. In Afghanistan. I mean look it's just one death after another. It's nothing more than a blood shed. U.S. and Canadian soldiers dieing one after the other isn't going to change terrorists minds. I just seen about four weeks ago in a paper. Canadian soldiers learning new tactics from U.S. soldiers in spare time. I say we withdraw and let America fight its own wars. We are not strong enough to do this for much longer. I love my country and it has made bad decisions before but this one tops it.

I see you did not bother to do any search of the site for relevent threads as to the Afghan mission, why we are there or what we are doing, let alone the US involvement. Do some research :-X

Before the dogpile starts a few things.  A'Stan and our involvment has been discussed a fair bit and it would serve you well to review all the previous posts before making such a bold statement.  Also it would serve you well to provide sources as to how you came about your information in order to give your argument some credibility.  Lastly you may want to invest in a nomex fire suit.

cadet levesque said:
First of all let me say i have nothing against our troops being over seas. Yet, I think our government made a BIG mistake for withdrawing from the U.N. peacekeeping missions. ... I mean look it's just one death after another. It's nothing more than a blood shed.

I hate to crack your rosy lenses, but we were sending people home in Glad bags or missing bitsand pieces during the 90's while we were doing "peacekeeping" for the UN in the former Yugoslavia.  Many others were mentally damaged from there, Rwanda and other UN ops.  The only difference in this case is that causalties are actually being reported a little more loudly than they were then.

MM

medicineman said:
I hate to crack your rosy lenses, but we were sending people home in Glad bags or missing bitsand pieces during the 90's while we were doing "peacekeeping" for the UN in the former Yugoslavia.  Many others were mentally damaged from there, Rwanda and other UN ops.  The only difference in this case is that causalties are actually being reported a little more loudly than they were then.

MM

Correction.  We have been bringing home our soldiers in boxes since we started this type of operation.  We have brought back our dead soldiers from the Sinai, Egypt, the Golan, Cyprus, Bosnia, Cambodia and dozens of other UN missions.

Fair one George - just struck me as alot of them in that particular time frame, not meaning to trample on all the others.

MM

The first UN peacekeeper casualty was a Canadian. In Pakistan. History can teach you so many useful things. Such as Korea was a UN operation. But I guess people don't read anymore.

Edit for details: For those that have no idea how deadly a "peacekeeping" mission can be.

A/Brigadier Harry H. ANGLE, DSO, ED. British Columbia Dragoons 17 Jul 1950 UNMOGIP 

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/fatalities/peacecas.htm
(thank you Mr. Dorosh)

This link is already posted on the site, but I think it fits well with this thread:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/special/audio/smith4.html

Buschgirl427 said:
The topic I am writing about is: "the ethics of the Canadian Soldiers being in Afghanistan".

Truth to tell, the "ethics" part is about government and public opinion. I didn't sit down and choose Cyprus, various DOMOPS or Bosnia by watching the Lonely Planet Guide; the government of the day decided that was important enough to send the very best, and I was ordered on my way.

You could write about the "ethics" of sending troops into danger with very restrictive ROEs (like former Yugolslavia), or in insufficient strength and without the proper equipment to actually do anything. You could also talk about the "ethics" of sending soldiers as a reflexive gesture without considering what, if anything the mission is supposed to accomplish or how the goals can be met, i.e. Rwanda, Somalia, the proposed mission to Zaire. Just remember, many brave Canadians went over to Yugoslavia in the 1990s, but until the application of NATO (and for all practical purposes, American) military power in @ 1995, the fighting could not be stopped.

Read the threads that have been brought to your attention and remember the choice we make is to serve. The how and when comes from the government of the day.

I am totally for the mission in Afghanistan. My reasons for this are that we are helping to rebuild a country that has been struggling for many years. I think we are doing a good job also

a_majoor said:
.... the choice we make is to serve. The how and when comes from the government of the day.

Sound like words Mike could post on the home page!

Back