• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers arrested after drunken brawl

FWIW -- remember too that Cypriot cops are not always like cops back home.
  I've seen Greek Cypriot police grab UN soldiers and jump them in a group.  I've also seen them hold up people at knife point for money.

I'm am also firm beleiver in the occassional need for a medicinal bender.

I'm not saying the odd drunk isn't uncalled for, lord knows I'm guilty, but mine doesn't make into the paper. And I've been to some pretty shady places (Manilla)

Yes but keep in the back of your mind that it made the news briefly what not a headliner - and the only reason it keeps getting dredged up is morbid curiousity or malicious intent.  Secondly also keep in mind that Cypriot police are not angles -- and the guys in Kandahar went from getting in gun fights with ANP occassionally, to Cyprus -- so the distrust of local LE is to be expected. 

Gunner98 said:
From article
If the soldiers were charged (with drunkenness, resisting arrest and assault on a police officer) and brought before a judge in Cyprus (which happens very quickly) then there is the potential for Double Jeopardy should their unit decide to apply NDA.  Any follow-up back in Canada will most likely be administrative in nature.
Theres always RW, and C&P the reprecussions back home need not be disciplinary to be a wake up call

ArtyNewbie said:
Theres always RW, and C&P the reprecussions back home need not be disciplinary to be a wake up call

I always find comments such as this amusing.

My own personal preference would be to take the charge ie the Summary Trial. Why? I am of the personal opinion that this "disciplinary action" is the lesser of two evils. After all, your conduct sheet will rid itself of NDA129 convictions etc eventually. It is noted on your annual PER and then you soldier on.

Anybody who doesn't consider "Adminstrative action" to be a wake-up call, needs a BIG wake-up call because it's the "Administrative actions" that usually come back to bite you in the ass because those "Administrative" actions, on the other hand, remain on your file for career (apparently, though, they do not have any effect upon that career!!  ;) ). Strike one (verbal), two (recorded), three (C&P)....bye bye. End of career. And hey, they can skip a strike if they want to!!

Nah, I'll stick with the charge anytime. Just my .02 cents worth.

Seems to me the occasional medicinal bender is the way to go. But not only me, it seems recently those countries that did/ do allow have a extremely lower rate of non PTSD/Battle stress injuries. If it gets out of hand as indicated earlier there is always the RSM. As to the higher moral standard that argument is wearing kind of thin these days.

The Librarian said:
I always find comments such as this amusing.

My own personal preference would be to take the charge ie the Summary Trial. Why? I am of the personal opinion that this "disciplinary action" is the lesser of two evils. After all, your conduct sheet will rid itself of NDA129 convictions etc eventually. It is noted on your annual PER and then you soldier on.

Anybody who doesn't consider "Adminstrative action" to be a wake-up call, needs a BIG wake-up call because it's the "Administrative actions" that usually come back to bite you in the ass because those "Administrative" actions, on the other hand, remain on your file for career (apparently, though, they do not have any effect upon that career!!  ;) ). Strike one (verbal), two (recorded), three (C&P)....bye bye. End of career. And hey, they can skip a strike if they want to!!

Nah, I'll stick with the charge anytime. Just my .02 cents worth.

Vern

I have to agree with you, take the charge and your punishment and carry on.  Administrative action dogs you for your career while if you take the charge and punishment for a good soldier it is the only wake up call needed and I know many an excellent soldier who are RSM's etc who have been charged for minor offences in their career but took the lesson and soldiered on

Back