• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers arrested after drunken brawl

Bigmac

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian soldiers arrested after drunken brawl

THREE Canadian soldiers were arrested after a drunken brawl with police outside a club in Limassol early yesterday.

The soldiers were among 200 Canadians from the ISAF force in Afghanistan currently on leave in Cyprus.

Two police officers were injured in the incident in the tourist area of Yermasoyia.
According to police, the drunken Canadians began swearing at a nightclub bouncer after he requested to see identification in order to allow them entry to the club.

Police officers who were nearby and saw the incident approached the men and asked them to stop causing a disturbance.

The men began swearing at the police too and when officers moved to arrest them, the Canadians attacked and injured them.

Finally, the three men were arrested while two policemen were taken to Limassol General Hospital with bruises and scratches.

Limassol police said that the men were charged and released a few hours after their arrest. He added that the men were due to return to their country today.
http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/

Boys will be boys! Unfortunate incident, but they will be dealt with by their RSM I guarantee.

Link takes you to "Fraud victims in new appeal against lawyer "

GAP said:
Link takes you to "Fraud victims in new appeal against lawyer "

Menu on left of page, click on "news" and scroll down to last article.

I tried finding another link, but it only gives the one link....you're right.....just needed directions to find it...thanks

Here's the link the the specific article - http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=31084&cat_id=1

Ya lads blowing off steam, and the gutless media gets a hold of it! They are just as bad as the enemy in many ways, and they disgust me to the bone beyond a joke.

Want the truth, divide by 3. I can't see it as being as bad as they say.

Cheers,

Wes

3 guys a brawl does not make...

In other news, the exact same damned thing occured in numerous cities all over the world as alcohol was consumed by young men on a Saturday evening! It very well may be a conspiracy....

I can't wait to see how Taliban Jack and his NDP Super-sleuths play this one.

While a drunken fight with 3 soldiers of any nationality may not be news, attacking the police that come to arrest you is newsworthy.

I can't make a comment about the acuracy of the story, but if it is accurate, it is worth printing.

KwaiLo said:
While a drunken fight with 3 soldiers of any nationality may not be news, attacking the police that come to arrest you is newsworthy.

I can't make a comment about the acuracy of the story, but if it is accurate, it is worth printing.

There are more important things to report in the news than a few' pissed up lads' creating a disturbance, which as been, yes you guessed it, hijacked by the media, and no doubt twisted to get ratings.

Bruises and scratches are nothing, even on a Cypriot Copper. If it was worse, say broken bones, or involving a knife, etc, yes then its newsworthy, but on page 99 of a 100 page paper.

Thats my opinion.

Cheers from Baghdaddy,

Wes

Wesley (Over There) said:
There are more important things to report in the news than a few' pissed up lads' creating a disturbance, which as been, yes you guessed it, hijacked by the media, and no doubt twisted to get ratings.

Bruises and scratches are nothing, even on a Cypriot Copper. If it was worse, say broken bones, or involving a knife, etc, yes then its newsworthy, but on page 99 of a 100 page paper.

Agree completely. The way I see it, the boys were drunk...got a little mouthy, blowing off steam...cops came in, boys were mouthy..Cops proceeded to try to make arrest, and the last probably struggled...

But, we weren't there. It will be dealt with. But not newsworthy, unless someone had been seriously hurt, or weapons were involved.

Glad to see you're still around and posting Wes,

Stay safe

As far as I can tell, this hasn't been picked up by any Canadian media. Perhaps we can do our part to help this non-issue fade into history by letting this thread fade into the background of army.ca.

Apparently, and I stress the apparently, the dudes got drunk, fought police and got arrested.  Big deal.  They broke the law of the host nation and will pay the price accordingly, which is bloody expensive I might add.  Blowing off steam is one thing, but I hope that this doesn't turn into a 'Afghanistan stressed me out and made me do it' angle by the media.
Ya know, thinking more about it, we are guests of the Cypriots, who have our commander guarentee that we will be civil and well behaved, and these dudes go and tarnish  the Canadian name with their antics.  Serves em right.
And if anyone decides to jump all over me for this comment, hold back.  I did my time in Cyprus last year after  7 months in A-stan, and not a single member of my company (C) acted like this.  However, other units did, and it was disgraceful to watch.
If I can quote the manager of the hotel we were staying
"I expected you infantry guys to me out of control, but you are the best behaved of all.  It is all those other types who embarras you and cause trouble."

No pity on these three, but I agree, it is not newsworthy.  But what is these days?

Must be a slow news day. Well, at least they never got the shyte kicked out of them  ;)

I’ll state right off that I have never served overseas (yes, on the seas, but never over them!), but it doesn’t mean that I’m not interested in what is going on, and haven’t heard from friends about things, which is why I am posting this and trying to understand more.

If I understand correctly, the troops that are currently in Cyprus are on decompression leave?  From reading posts here and hearing things, I understand decompression leave to be a time where you are finally in a safe haven, to unwind before being reunited with family and friends back home.  Are there other things that occur?  Administration?  Medicals?  Intel debriefs?  (If any of that can be mentioned, of course.)

I know that even after just sailing for a couple months, I needed to unwind, so I can only imagine what it would be like after 7 months in combat.  I am certainly not trying to excuse what happened in this incident, but anyone that has ever drank, especially to excess, knows that you’re not yourself.  Add on to that the first time drinking again in months, the taste of freedom and knowing you’ll be home soon, plus everything that you have just been through, and it’s not going to be a decompression, it’s going to be a spontaneous combustion.

As mentioned by other posters, this hasn’t been the first time something like this has happened, nor will it be the last.  But this is a time when it has been brought to the attention of everyone through the media.  This means that soon enough, there is going to be someone screaming for a solution probably.  What can be done though?  Should the troops get sent straight home?  Should decompression be held in Canada, so we would be looking after our own, per se?  Should the troops be “babysat”, only allowed out on their own, watched over by a guard, all alcohol and money taken away?  Any other ideas?

I am sure that many people have opinions on how they think decompression should or shouldn’t work, but I think the ones that would mean the most are those that have actually been involved in it, in some capacity.  And I am genuinely interested in what you would do to change it (if anything) and why.

I hope I haven’t opened up too big of a can of worms here, but as I stated at the beginning, I am interested in learning, and therefore I open the floor…..

It must be a slow news day!!  Boys will be boys, unfortunately, this doenst' look good, but the Regiment will take care of it, no doubts about it. I'll have to ask hubby tonight who got into trouble!! he's due back in country tonight!! :cdn:

Alcohol is an excuse, nothing more.  If you know that you can't handle it, don't touch it!  If you still want to tie one on, ask a buddy to look after you.  DO NOT use it as an excuse.
The tour is 6-7 months long.  But it is not all combat all the time. In fact, the old story of 99% boredom and 1% total fear springs to mind.  
Decompression is agin, in my opinion, a knee jerk reaction to popular myths ref PTSD.  You want to decompress me, then get me home to my family. Again, my opinion.
Do troops need a babysitter?  To answer that, there are troops in Canada that need their mothers with them still to look after them.
The best way to treat the troops is treat them like soldiers.  read them the riot act.  If they dislike that and contravene it, to bad, so sad.  

The whole decompression issue is to large to really explain.  Some need it, some don't.  I was fortunate enough to be in a Pl where the other NCOs were the best, and if I had a proble, which I did'nt, I know they would have been there.  If anything, decompression comes to late.  We should lool more at critical incident stress debriefing as soon as possible after an event, rather than wait for the end of the tour.

To say that boys will be boys is one thing,  but soldiers are expected to act like soldiers!!!

Kiwi99 said:
Alcohol is an excuse, nothing more.  If you know that you can't handle it, don't touch it!  If you still want to tie one on, ask a buddy to look after you.  DO NOT use it as an excuse.

I agree.

To say that boys will be boys is one thing,  but soldiers are expected to act like soldiers!!!

Punch these three words into google - "military mutiny Canada", read the links, then tell me again how soldiers are, historically, expected to act.

Incidents such as this happen - it ain't pretty, it ain't nice, and it ain't what your Momma taught ya'.  BUT - they happen, always have, always will.

Does this make those soldiers less culpable?  Absolutely not.  I'm sure the CoC will throw the book at them, and rightly so.

Does this incident constitute a major news story?  I don't think so - there are drunken soldiers, sailors, and airmen (of all nations) mixing it up with the local constabulary every day - and there are hungover soldiers, sailors, and airmen (of all nations) taking their hats off, coming to attention, and explaining themselves to the CO every day.

I just don't think it's newsworthy.

Roy

It happend in Slovenia,and I'm sure every R&R site ever occupied by forces.
When we landed in Slovenia our R&R warrant in charge there gave us a brief.
Basically they had an agreement with the LP to arrest us then call the Warrant to come down and get us.It basically protected us from ending up in prison (anyone remember midnight express ;D).As our legal system would charge us more harshly.

I was witness of a man standing on a bar and urinating all over the place.
There are idiots everywhere.Added they sometimes don't know their limits with alcohol after 6 months dry.

It basically boils down to "who's an idiot and who ain't."Alcohol is a excuse as per.Assholes also travel in packs,so telling another idiot "yeah look after me if I get out of it" is kind of useless if he's a idiot as well.

From Newfoundland government WW2 in reference to Canadian and American troops stationed there:

Walwyn’s final report as Governor in 1945 admitted that, "The conduct of United States forces outside the bases and in relation to Newfoundland citizens has been distinctly better than their Canadian friends."

Kiwi99 said:

Decompression is agin, in my opinion, a knee jerk reaction to popular myths ref PTSD.  You want to decompress me, then get me home to my family. Again, my opinion.

I am so glad that my husband, and the rest of Charles Coy 1RCR have that decompression...okay...then entire battlegroup. To have him come home tonight a little less stressed than he did 4 and half months ago after watching 4 of his troops die, is a little more comforting. Even when he did get home, we had a funeral to attend, plus visit the parents of one of his soldiers.
I've been to the briefings, listend to others talk about how the decompression helps. Granted, he would have rather come straight home, but I would have rather him spend a few days learning how to relax again before coming home.  The soldiers before heading to Cyprus were read the riot act (after some damage done to some rooms before hand). The riot act will be read again to them once they head into work on Tuesday.

Oh, and I don't think that this tour or the previous tour was 99% boredom.

Back