• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Naval Centennial

medicineman said:
The only one of my troops that had to do a practice was the one on the colour guard - the other ones are going in cold...

MM

Yeah I believe it was only the band and the honour guard that practiced. Everyone else is winging it.

All I know was that there was standing room only in the MIR waiting room - ie, right outside my office - with world record amounts of "All of a sudden, I can't do Parade-itis"...or so it would seem  ::).

Base Duty WO (or POOD as the fish people here call it) tonight - already going to be great as there's a roughly 70km/h breeze reeking havoc with the flags, one of the people on watch tonight failed to arrive/call in (already duly noted to the appropriate people, hehehehehehe) and have had 3 lockouts, all by dinner.  Hope I can get some boot polishing in for tomorrow...

MM

medicineman said:
All I know was that there was standing room only in the MIR waiting room - ie, right outside my office - with world record amounts of "All of a sudden, I can't do Parade-itis"...or so it would seem  ::).

Base Duty WO (or POOD as the fish people here call it) tonight - already going to be great as there's a roughly 70km/h breeze reeking havoc with the flags, one of the people on watch tonight failed to arrive/call in (already duly noted to the appropriate people, hehehehehehe) and have had 3 lockouts, all by dinner.  Hope I can get some boot polishing in for tomorrow...

MM

In that case, I am not just down the hall.

*waves hand*

These are no the ODs your looking for.

:p

Lol  - we did snag someone who wandered in off the street in uniform to take over - sent a little note of appreciation the RCPO to get him off duty for awhile (I hope).

MM

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that the rest of my time in will be spent learning.

Newest lesson:

Never let it be known that you're the one guy in the block that can actually tie a full windsor knot the night before the parade.

From the PM's web site:
On the recommendation of the Government of Canada a Royal Proclamation has been issued to designate today, May 4, as Canadian Navy Centennial Day.  Text of the Royal Proclamation, the first issued by Prime Minister Harper’s Government, follows:

ELIZABETH THE SECOND, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories QUEEN, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith,

(signature)

Deputy Attorney General

Proclamation text

To all to whom these presents shall come or whom the same may in any way concern,

Greeting:

A PROCLAMATION

Whereas Canada's navy has loyally and dutifully served Canada and Canadians for a century;

Whereas May 4, 2010 marks the one-hundredth anniversary of the granting of royal assent to the Naval Service Act, which authorized the creation of a navy for Canada;

Whereas the men and women who have served in Canada's naval forces, both regular and reserve, over the past century have embodied the virtues of courage, commitment and sacrifice in the defence of Canada and Canadian interests, and in the advancement of peace and security around the world;

Whereas it is desirable to build and strengthen in Canadians an appreciation for their navy and to promote the role of the navy in a maritime nation like Canada;

And whereas, by Order in Council P.C. 2010-477 of April 21, 2010, Her Excellency the Governor General in Council has ordered that a proclamation do issue declaring May 4, 2010 as "Canadian Navy Centennial Day";

Now know you that We, by and with the advice of Our Privy Council for Canada, do by this Our Proclamation declare May 4, 2010 as "Canadian Navy Centennial Day".

Of all which Our loving subjects and all others whom these presents may concern are hereby required to take notice and to govern themselves accordingly.

In testimony whereof, We have caused this Our Proclamation to be published and the Great Seal of Canada to be hereunto affixed.

Went to the FOC parade in Victoria today - was a little chilly, but otherwise nice weather.  Looked pretty good, though I'm sure the Formation CPO1 might be having a few words with a few (at least 3 that I saw) guard commanders who neglected to salute and "Eyes Right"  the dais as they marched past...the Mayor was standing there with this four headed alien look on his face that was quite priceless as the guards wandered on by.  But maybe I'm just nit picking...

MM

It was good times and hte parade practice for us paid off ;)

I missed the eyes left by the legislature - couldn't hear our comd but i wans't the only one...........

I may go to the wardroom this PM for my spirit issue.

You can see if the C&PO's will issue you my tot if you like...have teenager problems to deal with.  Besides, you walked, I watched.  So you actually practiced????!!!! >:D

MM

Anyone got pictures? I should be pretty easy to spot: Red beret and green uniform in a sea of navy uniform and white caps!

The weather today in Halifax was perfect.  It was warm, sunny and the whole thing went off from a spectator's POV nicely.  With the exception of the news of PO2 Blake, it was a day I will be happy to remember.

medicineman said:
You can see if the C&PO's will issue you my tot if you like...have teenager problems to deal with.  Besides, you walked, I watched.  So you actually practiced????!!!! >:D

MM

Yup - the CO made us have a parade practice so we looked 'good'. We had a lot of staff who hadnt been on parade in oh, 20 years.

The colour guard looked really good from where I was right across from the dais, as did the first few platoons coming through...started getting a little caterpillarish the last few but hey, when you have 2-3k marching, it tends to do that after awhile.  It was funny looking up Douglas St - looked like a gazillion aspirins bobbing up the road in ranks  ;D.

MM

I had been talking to the good Capt(N) but unfortunately, my reasons for visiting Barrie are no longer - I went up for my mom's funeral 1 May.  My name is still in for Churchill, Manitoba but I KNOW that one is a long shot!

Pat,
Sorry to hear the news.

The concert was 2 hours, including intermission. Free CDs of the music and other items were available to the public. The mix of music was entertaining and lively. It was a nice evening out. Between now and the fall, I will probably here them play again another three times.

Remember this?
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/83325/post-879972.html#msg879972
mascotte_2.jpg

Well, now for the name....
Hi there!

I am the Navy's new Mascot!!!

Thank you for visiting my Internet page; here is where I will communicate my activities to you. For now, my site does not have a lot of information, but me and my friends are working hard to provide you a lot of interesting information. Continue to visit my page, you will see, it will improve rapidly :)

A small service from you…

I would need your help to find a name for myself; at the moment, I have none.

How would you call me?

1-You can write your suggestion by e-mail at the following address:

navres_mascot@forces.gc.ca

2-You can also print and fill out the coupon below and mail it to me at the following address:

Navy Mascot

Naval Reserve Headquarters
Public Affairs section (N02 PA) 3rd floor
112 Dalhousie St.
Québec, QC, G1K 4C1

3- Keep in mind my name (the one you suggest) must:

- have a bilingual consonance; and

- be related to the sea and/or the Navy’s environment/history.

4- The unveiling of my name will be on September 16, 2010.

Don’t forget to visit my Internet page again to learn my name :)

En français ici.

And what kind of a dog is this?  From the Statement of Work:
.... His personality will be that of an average young boy of no particular age.  He will be clean living, fun loving, bashful around girls, polite, brave and clever.  He will not be a clown, nor silly or dumb.  He would never lose his temper or do anything dishonest or sneaky.  His age will vary with the situation.  When he is around children he will always be happy.  He likes to have fun around children and has all the energy and curiosity of a young boy.  Among dignitaries, he will be extremely humble and will politely shake hands ....

Needs a name that works in both English and French, eh?

"Scopolamine" gets my vote.  ;D

Back