• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Naval Centennial

HMCS FREDERICTON just arrived in Kingston.

The place is awash with........RMC cadets -- elbowing tourists and potential recruits aside.  ;)

Maybe FREDDY's FP CPO2 needs to go out and do a little 'elbowing' right back!!!!
That is unfortunate but happenned when I was there (in Kingston) a couple years ago with HAL. A reporter from my home town newspaper almost got bumped by someone in uniform. I was proud when she told me how she 'took a stand'!!

Journeyman said:
HMCS FREDERICTON just arrived in Kingston.

The place is awash with........RMC cadets -- elbowing tourists and potential recruits aside.  ;)

Kaydets from RMC being rude??!!  Say it isn't so  :D.

MM

I just want to take this chance to again thank the crew of the Freddy (and one MS in particular for the "real tour") for having a few of us landlocked types aboard yesterday. It was a great time for all. I will certainly put my name in for a tour on a ship when I am eligible...the beer prices are certainly right!

First, there was the bid for a poochie mascot.

Then, the search for a name.

And the winning name is.....
The Canadian navy is proud to introduce SONAR, the new naval mascot. SONAR, who is based on a Newfoundland dog, was “recruited” into the navy in 2010 as part of the Canadian navy’s centennial celebrations.

The name SONAR was chosen from a cross-Canada contest which encouraged youth to submit potential names. From the hundreds of names received, Vice-Admiral Dean McFadden, Chief of the Maritime Staff, chose the name SONAR. “Naming our mascot SONAR captures the proud history of the Canadian navy and its role in anti-submarine warfare,” said VAdm McFadden, “and it being a Newfoundland dog, it denotes the characteristics we hold important; being ever vigilant, watchful, protective and loyal.”

Ship’s mascots, especially dogs, have been part of navies since the first ships sailed from their home ports. Used for many purposes, including security and companionship for crews, mascots are important members of any navy. SONAR will be used to help foster relationships with people across the country, acting as a proud ambassador for the Canadian navy.

Welcome, SONAR, to the CF Family!

E.R. Campbell said:
Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail is an article About A new Navy monument in Ottawa, being built to commemorate the Naval Centennial in 2010:
--------------------------
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ottawa+navy+monument/1195677/story.html

Ottawa to get $2M navy monument
NCC expected to OK historic Richmond Landing for memorial in honour of service’s centennial

BY RANDY BOSWELL, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN

JANUARY 20, 2009

OTTAWA — The federal government is set to approve construction of a $2-million monument celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Canadian navy at a storied site in downtown Ottawa, just upstream from Parliament Hill next to the new Canadian War Museum.

The monument, to be built next year in honour of the 1910 beginnings of a Canadian naval force independent of British control, is being developed by the naval branch of the Canadian Forces and the National Capital Commission.

And the RCN Monument has been defaced by vandals ...

spray-painted-graffiti-is-seen-on-the-royal-canadian-navy-mo.jpg

Reports: here and here.

1297700075110_ORIGINAL.jpg

Even without the tag on it, it is one sorry looking monument.  Kindergarten kids could have come up with a better design, I bet.

Back