• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Gasoline prices

Infanteer said:
Simple.  Tools for road use/entering the city, a la London.
Surly you mean, tolls for the tools using the road/entering London.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  And don't call me Surely.

Actually he called you surly...and  mean. Apparently you're perceived as one of the grumpy ones. 

Welcome.  ;D

I agree with this one protestor. There's no true support for anything these days.

ref: CTV.ca

Gas price protest stalls when only one demonstrator shows up

CTV Montreal
Published Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:11AM EDT 
Last Updated Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:13AM EDT 

Drivers love to complain about the price of gas, but when it comes to taking action they are not willing to join forces.

A gas price protest scheduled for Wednesday morning sputtered to a stop when one solitary protester showed up.

Despite more than 5,000 people saying they would attend and another 36,000 saying they were interested, not even the protest's organizer bothered to attend the protest at Marché Central.

Instead just one woman showed up with a sign attached to her windshield, and she was not impressed at the lack of response.

Montreal police had even stationed half a dozen officers in patrol cars at the mall, ready to supervise the protesters on their planned slow-moving route.

The price of gasoline in the Montreal area is about $1.479/litre on Wednesday, and interest groups are predicting elevated prices all summer long as demand stays high while several refineries in North America are undergoing repairs.

Wednesday was also bike to work day, where commuters are encouraged to reduce the demand for gasoline by travelling on two wheels.

A View from 'down-under'
"Kiwis are among the highest consumers of fuel in the world per capita, burning through around 672 litres of fuel a year.
In percent of income spent of fuel."
"The only countries to get worse deals than New Zealand are Brazil (2.8 per cent), Saudi Arabia (2.87 per cent), Greece (2.95 per cent), Canada (3.01 per cent), South Africa (3.64 per cent) and Mexico (3.94 per cent)."
from https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12139974

(Latest local prices: Sherbrooke QC $1.344/l but at Derby Line Vermont yesterday it was $1.03 CAD/l.  The price had recently gone up .05/gal.)

Price drop in Kelowna, BC to 140.9 from 144.9. Prior, went up 0.50 cents, converted to one US gallon. If the price went up that much in one day in the US there would be a revolution.

Also in Malaysia where the price is fixed by the government, my wife's family was shocked that it could change 8 cents in a day. I calculated by ensuring I fill up Wednesday/Thursday evening that I could save $70-100 a year over the average price by catching the low points.

Interesting I learned that Vancouver Airport almost ran out of fuel last summer and needs a better fuel supply system to support it's expansion. Currently they use 75 large tanker trucks with pups every day to meet demand.

They are predicting a 3cent increase in BC as thanks to the NG pipeline explosion near Prince George, since the refineries use NG to refine with and it's now being rationed.

$134.9 in Calgary when I filled up yesterday, I feel like we need more refineries....

Looks like the Grasping hand of government is going to get twisted in another arm wrestling match with Adam Smith's Invisible Hand. A big push in production by a multitude of suppliers will bring prices down, providing relief for consumers and consternation for nations like Russia and Iran which depend on petrodollars for a large portion of theiur revenues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/03/business/energy-environment/oil-supply.html

Flood of Oil Is Coming, Complicating Efforts to Fight Global Warming
By Clifford Krauss
Nov. 3, 2019

HOUSTON — A surge of oil production is coming, whether the world needs it or not.

The flood of crude will arrive even as concerns about climate change are growing and worldwide oil demand is slowing. And it is not coming from the usual producers, but from Brazil, Canada, Norway and Guyana — countries that are either not known for oil or whose production has been lackluster in recent years.

This looming new supply may be a key reason Saudi Arabia’s giant oil producer, Aramco, pushed ahead on Sunday with plans for what could be the world’s largest initial stock offering ever.

Together, the four countries stand to add nearly a million barrels a day to the market in 2020 and nearly a million more in 2021, on top of the current world crude output of 80 million barrels a day. That boost in production, along with global efforts to lower emissions, will almost certainly push oil prices down.

Lower prices could prove damaging for Aramco and many other oil companies, reducing profits and limiting new exploration and drilling, while also reshaping the politics of the nations that rely on oil income.

snip

Energy experts say the new production from the four nations will more than satisfy all the growth in global demand expected over the next two years, which is well below the growth rates of recent years before economic expansion in China, Europe and Latin America slowed.

At the same time, new pipelines in Texas are expected to increase United States exports to 3.3 million barrels a day next year, from the current 2.8 million.

That adds up to a vast surplus unless there is a resurgence of global economic growth to stimulate demand, or a prolonged conflict in the Middle East or other disruption to supply.

“To support prices, OPEC is going to have to extend and probably deepen their production cuts for a while,” said David L. Goldwyn, a top State Department energy diplomat during the Obama administration. “Getting the prices up to the point where Aramco can launch its I.P.O. is a big Saudi priority.”

The article is fairly long and has the usual screed about global warming, but the analysis of where and when the production will hit the markets is interesting and useful information.

Back