• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces service members living in cars, unable to afford groceries

About serving members living in cars. I’m aware of 2 members ( 1 is RCMP) living in cars or RV’s who have spousal and child support obligations which exceed 100% of their income. This isn’t supposed to happen, but it is apparently actually far more common than generally understood.
Most men under these burdens take their lives, or at least try to. In these cases, there is a “fix” available but nobody wants to politically make it happen.
I’ve seen members in this circumstance as well. It’s tricky because it’s not good for their employability to be that vulnerable. So it’s a dance.

I wasn’t in management at the time so I don’t know what mechanisms were activated to assist them in navigating it.

I suspect none.

SCAN seminars insist that Pre-retirement planning begins at recruitment. Living here prepares our sailors for retirement living. ;)

Wont get the full effect until we cram 50 somthing other folks in there.

Wont get the full effect until we cram 50 somthing other folks in there.

Tangentially, based on his comments, I am only aware of one retired Reg F member ever joining the reserves as a result of a briefing at a SCAN seminar.

They didn't think about Environmental rating, +GBA, Indigenous, or any other TB/ISEC considerations; they built it, and people came to live there.
In other words, they didn't think about useless crap and instead just built to need. Very innovative.

The solution is obviously less government bureaucracy, but that's not gonna happen.

Now do this for bases

There is nothing to suggest the housing crisis will get better in 2024 or the year leading up to the election. Same goes for the economy and cost of living. Hold onto your hats people!

There's an arctic tent in there. Looks pretty new. I wonder if there's a 638 to match it.

PSX_20231210_200037.jpg

Last edited:
Back