• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces service members living in cars, unable to afford groceries

If only there was a solution

ENR-banner.jpg

Some of those camps are palatial!

Probably, but it’s still a net win for the member. Member gets a housing subsidy that makes it possible to afford decent accommodations. Sure, CRA might hit them for 25% of that subsidy in taxes, but the member still comes out ahead, and with a roof.

If we pretend for a minute - and I’m sorry guys, but just indulge my fantasy here - that a reasonably staffed CAF is important to Canada’s national security and international relations, then it follows that recruiting and retention are of strategic importance. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; housing our troops is more than just a housing question. Sure, call it a taxable benefit- but get some roofs up for our troops to live under, clean, healthy, and suitable to varying stages of their lives. Otherwise, enjoy being on the wrong side of labour mobility once they spend a few years in and gain marketable skills.
Its only a taxable benefit until the law changes. We were able to have all named operations declared tax free up to a certain pay level, there's no reason why we couldn't have any gap in PMQ cost vs market rate tax free as well.

Build more housing and rent at a fix rate based off the troops income (10-30% tops). Make it a tax free benefit. We need troops to have housing and not be in a unaffordable position. Otherwise they will just release, and well they are serving they will be stressed to the max due to not being able to afford the necessities of life.

We could also kill the PLD or whatever has replaced it as we are then offering a reasonable priced housing which is the same price no matter where you are posted, hence no need for a balanced out income scheme. If you choose to live on the economy its your decision then.

The apartment I rented in Halifax in 2014 for 900$ now costs 2150$ a month. It wasn’t even downtown or anything. How the hell we expect a no hook to effectively afford that when that is most their pay is beyond me. Even with a roommate they would be feeling the strain.

At the risk of detracting from an issue, Shilo built about 10 new duplex’s just this year and has two fairly new apartment buildings on base as well.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Those units were the first PMQ's built in Shilo since the 1960's when the brick houses were built for 2 SSM Bty. Some buildings (veh hangers, HQ/Adm bldg in Q Lines as well as renovation to H Huts) were built by GATES.

Last edited:
Build more housing and rent at a fix rate based off the troops income (10-30% tops). Make it a tax free benefit. We need troops to have housing and not be in a unaffordable position. Otherwise they will just release, and well they are serving they will be stressed to the max due to not being able to afford the necessities of life.

We could also kill the PLD or whatever has replaced it as we are then offering a reasonable priced housing which is the same price no matter where you are posted, hence no need for a balanced out income scheme. If you choose to live on the economy its your decision then.

The apartment I rented in Halifax in 2014 for 900$ now costs 2150$ a month. It wasn’t even downtown or anything. How the hell we expect a no hook to effectively afford that when that is most their pay is beyond me. Even with a roommate they would be feeling the strain.

This is exactly it. There is not the capacity and the price is not reasonable. It is a retention issue, and portable trailers probably won’t fix the problem in the “crisis” areas like Halifax, Victoria, and Kingston.

Side note there are trailers for exercise in Cold Lake.

Quick solution for Halifax and Esquimalt and it jives with Navy traditions.

2306.jpg

About serving members living in cars. I’m aware of 2 members ( 1 is RCMP) living in cars or RV’s who have spousal and child support obligations which exceed 100% of their income. This isn’t supposed to happen, but it is apparently actually far more common than generally understood.
Most men under these burdens take their lives, or at least try to. In these cases, there is a “fix” available but nobody wants to politically make it happen.

Back