• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian AFG War "Resister"

When you get down to it, we don't really have a dishonorable discharge
we have Cat 1 (Misconduct), cat 2 (unsatisfactory service), Cat 4 (voluntary) and cat 5 Service completed.

Well, yeah, he did not a cat 4c discharge.

He got a 5F, same as most administrative burden types. but the 5F is buried with Retirement age, Reduction in strength, Completed service for which required), not advantageously employable, Irregular enrollment AND (f) Unsuitable for further service.

If he did not get a cat 1 or 2, he walked away with a clean record....

I think its safe to say that Juarez will not be back anytime soon.  He may be parading with the NDP hammer and sickle at their next convention, but he won't be back unless the NDP gain power.  Juarez can become their MND because of his colossal military experience and Napoleonic leadership qualities.  Juarez, the Island of Elba awaits you!

I know this easily the meanest thing I'll have said in months. I know this issue brings out the  :threat: in me.

This guy is the best that the NDP can come up with.  A guy who joined for the college money and quit before he finished BOTC.  I know in the States,  there are Generals and many officers and guys with their boots on the ground who have voiced strong opposition to the war in Iraq. Both to how it is being run and the fundamental purpose of it.  Here,  I've heard suggestions for improvement, (of course,  feedback leads to improvements)  complaints about the dust but no one I've met who wears a uniform has questioned the purpose of the mission.

Honestly,  if a boot camp washout says that he quit because he disagrees with our military actions (which we were doing before he joined) I'll take that with a large dose of skepticism.  I think it is more likely he realised he didn't like army life and looked for a way to justify to himself quitting without becoming a failure.  And yes,  I look forward to seeing him run for Parliament on the "I washed out of boot camp so I know more than Generals" platform - the best the NDP has to offer lately.

It's probably been said already but this is the best thing that could have happened.  If he had made it further he undoubtedly would have been a cancer.

What need do we have for a gutless, spineless coward to be among our men and women, their job is hard enough as it is. Good riddance to bad rubbage.

potato

Sounds like he didn't have the mental/physical fortitude to finish his CAP course and so instead of admitting weakness and personal failure, he claims it's for ideological reasons - much less embarassing than admitting the truth.

Good riddance.

Apparently he was on Canada AM yesterday.  Here's the transcript (sorry, no link to this one):

Canada's first Afghan war resister

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IEN: Twenty-four hundred Canadian men and women are serving in Afghanistan. They deliver aid, and they fight Taliban insurgents. That part of the mission, taking lives, upset one army reservist so much that he went from volunteering for the mission to becoming Canada's first Afghan war resister.

Francisco Juarez joins me now from Victoria.

Good morning to you, sir.

JUAREZ: Good morning.

IEN: So, I want to go through your military career to start here, okay? You went into the regular navy in 2002, correct?

JUAREZ: Correct, yeah.

IEN: March 2006, you transferred to army reserves and volunteered to serve in Afghanistan?

JUAREZ: I was actively going to be seeking a place on rotation, hopefully by 2009. And I was definitely hoping to go to Afghanistan, yes.

IEN: And then in August 2006, in the middle of officer training, you quit?

JUAREZ: I did, yeah.

IEN: Why is that?

JUAREZ: Well, after many months of discussing the possibility of my going to Afghanistan with my family, which is a process that Canadian Forces members go through when they're getting prepared to go on a mission, I began to talk to my family about -- and argue with them and debate with them certainly -- the nature of the mission and began to consider some information that my family presented with me.

Also, speaking with my partner over some months about what I saw as my participation and what I could do. But that conversation just developed.

But, most importantly, for me it was the change in Canada's foreign policy that the newly elected Conservatives at the time were implementing. And I really --

IEN: What specifically, sir, were you concerned about with that policy?

JUAREZ: Well, certainly the change to more of a war-making policy was one that I thought was not in the long term benefit of the Afghan people -- and certainly not in the long-term benefit of Canadian security here at home. So I felt that I needed to release from the Canadian Forces so that I could be part of a dialogue as a private citizen.

IEN: What should be done, in your opinion?

JUAREZ: Well, I think certainly by actively pursuing a war-making policy we are radicalizing the people of southern Afghanistan to the side of the Taliban.

There's a word in Arabic which is "umma", and it's a sense of Islamic community. And certainly, by radicalizing the people of southern Afghanistan against us essentially they are allying themselves with other Islamic people -- in this case the Taliban.

And, as we can see by the American experience in Iraq where you have the increase in sectarian violence and also the augmentation of al-Qaeda's role, the growth of al-Qaeda, we can see that that experiment went wrong. And in many ways we're following just a couple of years behind in the timeline essentially in terms of what the operation was like for the Americans in Iraq and how that translates to how it is for us in Afghanistan.

IEN: Mr. Juarez, 42 Canadian soldiers, one diplomat, have died in Afghanistan. Their family members could be watching this show this morning and watching you, listening to what you have to say. Are you saying that they died in vain?

JUAREZ: What I'm saying is that we owe Canadian Forces members, if we're going to send them to any place in the world, we owe them a proper debate within this country.

Certainly there was not enough debate in the House of Commons about the nature of the mission and the objectives of the mission. And I think that many people in the region realize -- and especially the Americans -- that the form of direct military confrontation in these circumstances does not work and indeed exacerbates the problem, and that we need to as a society, as Canadians, discuss these issues to a greater extent. And we owe it to our Canadian Forces members to have a full dialogue, because they represent our country and our national will through our foreign policy.

IEN: Mr. Juarez, I have ten seconds left. But have you contacted Prime Minister Harper about your concerns and how you see democracy being achieved in Afghanistan?

JUAREZ: Well, I've certainly considered writing a letter. But I would like to think about ways of making it more, I guess, advocating for military families in a way that's more beneficial in the long term, I believe. But I indeed would like to have that contact certainly.

IEN: Francisco Juarez, thank you so much.

JUAREZ: Thank you.

Francisco Juarez, Canadian Forces Reservist

Frankly, his version of events doesn't make much sense to me, given how he thundered out of CAP...  Apparently, he's an Islamic scholar now too... ::)

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Apparently he was on Canada AM yesterday.  Here's the transcript (sorry, no link to this one):

Frankly, his version of events doesn't make much sense to me, given how he thundered out of CAP...  Apparently, he's an Islamic scholar now too... ::)

Funny, before he was "being groomed" to go and now he was "actively going to be seeking".
The bottom line should not say "Francisco Juarez, Canadian Forces Reservist", it should say "Francisco Juarez - disgraced FORMER Canadian Forces Reservist"

I guess it's true, "every dog coward has his day". Good riddance.

potato

Teddy Ruxpin said:
The 'manufacturing of facts' perpetrated by Juarez, Canadian Peace Alliance, et al continues to be routinely and unquestioningly passed along by the media. There is a well-done rebuttal by the Ruxted Group: http://ruxted.ca/index.php?/archives/28-Francisco-Juarez.html

His new-found expertise is merely another facet of his revisionist history. Since demonstrating his inability to complete CAP, for whatever reason, his story evolves to give himself a more palatable memory - - a more noble self-justification than being remembered, more simply and correctly, as a "quitter."

And for those interested in factual accuracy, the last line should read "Francisco Juarez, former-Reservist, released from the Canadian Forces."

davidhmd said:
"But I indeed would like to have that contact certainly."
pm@pm.gc.ca

Took me 4 seconds to find on google. Put up or shut up....

Dear Mr. Prime Minister

I was really scared. So I went home.

Sincerely,
Francisco

For the "Guests" reviewing this thread today, please make note of the fact (in your factual reporting of course) that Mr. Franciso Juarez stated:

JUAREZ: I was actively going to be seeking a place on rotation, hopefully by 2009. And I was definitely hoping to go to Afghanistan, yes

Factual Point #1: Mr. Juarez has admitted that he was not slated for Afghanistan and had not volunteered for it, but that he was hoping to do so by 2009.

Factual Point #2: Mr. Juarez has stated that the reason he "quit" was because he did not agree with the newly elected Conservative governments policy of war-making in Afghanistan.

I would point out to you that the Conservative government did not implement a new policy in Afghanistan, they simply extend the existing Liberal mission until 2009.

Well funny isn't it that Mr. Juarez was hoping to volunteer for service in Afghanistan by 2009 which tells us he was aware of the mission extension by the Conservatives? And although he has admitted to knowing about the new end date (thus his 2009) he claims he's resisted because of Conservative policy? The only thing the conservatives did was amend the end-date to that 2009 one. So, Mr. Juarez was fully aware of the mission, it's mandate and the policy (set by the Liberals) well prior to reporting for his course.

A change in policy (which didn't change at all) is his excuse. And you are buying it...hook, line and sinker. His 15 minutes are over. Please give it up.

Vern

From the original story (first post on this thread):

During a training session earlier this year at Gagetown, N.B., he refused to walk onto an obstacle course and told his commanding officer: "I no longer wish to participate."

He was dragged before several army captains, told he would feel like a failure for the rest of his life, and threatened with a court martial and possible jail time.

The military relented somewhat. They fined the B.C. native $500 and discharged him without honour.

But Juarez doesn't regret his disobedience for a second.

He says he was being groomed to become a second lieutenant and would have been in Kandahar by early next year.

Slightly different now, no?  One would think that if he were quitting for political reasons, it wouldn't be immediately before an obstacle course session...  ::)

The last line offers a *ahem* "different interpretation" as well...

I say we drop this clown and stop wasting our time commenting on his activities. Enough people that have actually worked with him on ship, at the unit, and on his course have had their say.

We all agree (even Zell) on who/what this individual is and what his reasons for quitting were.

If the press even cared a little, they could have punched so many holes in his story, made him look like the fool that he is, and carried on with some real news. It is clear that they do not care about the truth, just headlines.

Done. He gets no more of my attention.

Wook

The guy is a turd. Let's just flush him from our cyber-colon and get on with more pleasant topics,  like genital warts or something.

Something to get off your chest, Kat?

Myth:  Juarez was being goomed for a place in the Aghan mission, complete with subordinates who hung on his every word out of sheer awe.
Fact:  Juarez was an NCIOP who was disgruntled when he left the ship.

Myth:  The sudden change of heart on the obstacle course in Gagetown brought about an intrinsic NDP renaissance within Juarez.
Fact:  Juarez has always been somewhat "left" in his political leanings.

Myth:  The media always checks its back story and never makes a mistake.
Fact:  In this case, it seems that the media failed to check some facts and gave this guy more airtime than he deserves.

Bravo to Librarian for digging up some more quotes about this guy.  I knew Juarez and I can't say that I agree with his perspective.  Kudos to everyone here for doing their due diligence.

Back