• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian AFG War "Resister"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
My question - how can you be a "war resister" when nobody is dragging you there against your will?

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Soldier describes why he abandoned military over Afghan mission
Alexander Panetta, Canadian Press, 9 Sept 06
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/060909/n090947A.html

Francisco Juarez bristles at being labelled Canada's first Afghanistan war resister.

But the 35-year-old former army reserve member is proud to have turned his back on the military because he doesn't believe in the Afghan mission.

During a training session earlier this year at Gagetown, N.B., he refused to walk onto an obstacle course and told his commanding officer: "I no longer wish to participate."

He was dragged before several army captains, told he would feel like a failure for the rest of his life, and threatened with a court martial and possible jail time.

The military relented somewhat. They fined the B.C. native $500 and discharged him without honour.

But Juarez doesn't regret his disobedience for a second.

He says he was being groomed to become a second lieutenant and would have been in Kandahar by early next year.

"Morally I could have sat back and said, 'You're paid to do a job. Just do it and shut up.' But I decided I couldn't," he said in an interview Saturday.

"I began to ask myself: Could I give orders to subordinates that would result in them dying for a mission I did not believe in?"

Juarez joined the navy in 2002, lured by the promise of a steady salary. He got a transfer to the reserves last year because it allowed him more time to complete his justice-studies degree at Royal Roads University.

His family was upset. They were skeptical about the military, and conversations with his parents grew increasingly tense as the possibility of battle drew closer.

But it wasn't just the awkward pauses and heated exchanges that became more frequent. So did the moments of doubt.

By the end of his first week of training this spring at Gagetown, where he carried a rifle all day long and learned about handling grenades, Juarez knew he wanted out.

He spoke to his wife Diane every night on the phone. He chatted for hours at a time with the army chaplain. He did not, however, go around discussing his doubts too often with his army buddies.

They probably wouldn't relate to him.

"They all want to go to Afghanistan. Afghanistan is the big game," he said.

"If you're a concert pianist, you want to go to Carnegie Hall. They were all pretty gung-ho."

Juarez wanted to go home, finish college, and either go get a law degree or work in mediation.

So one day he marched from his barracks to a brown brick office inside the infantry school and dropped off a note he'd scribbled the day before: "For personal and familial reasons, I wish to be returned to unit and released."

In reality he believed that the mission in Afghanistan was ill-conceived, that political dialogue and not military might is the quickest path to stability in that country.

"But you can't say to the military, 'I don't believe in the mission in Afghanistan and I don't believe in war-making,' " he said.

"You can't do that. The military doesn't speak that language."

He was brought before the head of the infantry school the next day and told that he would regret the move for the rest of his life, that he would forever be a failure.

Juarez kept on with the course for a few more days. Back in Victoria, B.C., his wife spoke to his reserve unit and they asked to see another memo.

That's when he was marched before a series of captains for a barrage of one-on-one interviews in Gagetown.

"Buck up," is how Juarez describes their message.

"The only way you're getting out of this course is by signing the end-of-course report."

They were wrong. He ended it that same week around 5 a.m. before setting foot on the obstacle course, when he refused to participate.

He was read his rights an hour later, charged the next day, and discharged from the military over the summer.

The NDP invited Juarez to its policy convention this weekend, its members proud to meet a veritable "war-resister" on the same day their party voted to pull Canadian troops out of Afghanistan.

But Juarez quickly sets the record straight.

He says he's no war resister - he was never actually deployed to Afghanistan. He also says he has no affiliation to the NDP.

What he is, is someone who opposes the Afghan mission and is eager to explain why he avoided it.

He also describes in vivid detail the issues that soldiers grapple with before heading on a hazardous mission, and the thought that crossed his own mind that morning beside the obstacle course:

"I'm in control of my legs. Nobody can make me do this."

milnewstbay said:
the thought that crossed his own mind that morning beside the obstacle course: "I'm a coward. Nobody can make me do this."
what a loser. The only good thing is that he realized he's a loser and a coward BEFORE he got to a posting. A reservist who was afraid he'd be sent to Afghanistan. A loser, a coward, and an idiot who failed to pay attention in his classes.

I am at a loss for words..really...WTF?!?!  Good riddance to a useless idiot.

Long before he got to the point where he was, he could have quit. When confronted with the reality that he might actually have to stand by his word, he found it did not fit his lifestyle. The military is better off without him and his ilk.  ::)

Maybe I'm touchy about media this week, but I really hope the story line doesn't become "the RESERVIST who quit"....

Another kid who wanted his education bought and paid for by Joe-taxpayer without strings attached.

He apparently failed to notice during his swearing in that ultimate sacrifice committment that came with it. Obviously upon the Army thrusting the weapon into his limp arms while they were "grooming him to become a 2LT" the thought of Afghanistan, a place that he would actually have to volunteer to go to as a Reserve, must have hit him.

Seeing as how every OCdt who successfully completes their training will automaticlly become a 2Lt, I can't say I'm sad to see this attention seeker gone. Time for him to get over himself.

::)

milnewstbay said:
But the 35-year-old former army reserve member

During a training session earlier this year at Gagetown, N.B., he refused to walk onto an obstacle course and told his commanding officer: "I no longer wish to participate."

He says he was being groomed to become a second lieutenant and would have been in Kandahar by early next year.

That is some claim.  There is no way he " would have been in Kandahar " as a reservist, unless he volunteered himself to go there.

By the end of his first week of training this spring at Gagetown, where he carried a rifle all day long and learned about handling grenades, Juarez knew he wanted out.

That sums it up..    A one week training wash-out because they had to get up early and learn about  weapons.
I wonder what he thought it was about?
Reminds me of the scene from Private Benjamin... 

Judy Benjamin: I think they sent me to the wrong place.
Capt. Lewis: Uh-huh.
Judy Benjamin: See, I did join the army, but I joined a *different* army. I joined the one with the condos and the private rooms.

Is it just me, or is this story ripe with mistakes?  To be "groomed for 2Lt"?  Excuse me, you APPLY to be an offr fm the ranks don't you?  I remember being asked if I wanted to go offr, (the answer was "no" btw), but I was never "groomed".

And he says he was slated for Afghanistan...which suggests he would have volunteered.  Being a reserve, he would not be "slated".  In other words he volunteered, and then got cold feet.

This is nothing more than a man that volunteered from start to finish (i.e. to join, to go on course, to go to Afghanistan) to do something, and then lost the courage of his convictions, (or discovered he never had them in the first place).  He's hardly a war resister: he's not running away from anything that he was being forced to do against his will. He simply turned coward, or discovered that his morality would not allow him to wage war.  But the newspaper reporter-- probably with a political agenda against the wa-- chose to cast it in the light of "he was being forced to do something against his moral code".  I'm angrier at her than I am at him, and I ain't  pleased w/ him.

This is a slap on the face to every one of the res pers who are lined up willing to do their bit.

So, if I'm tracking, this guy left the regular force Navy for civi life & got into the reserves as an infantry officer.  While attending his summer training, he decided he wanted out & that he would just not show-up for training.  At no point in time was he ever under any obligation to go to Afghanistan, but by insinuating that we force our reservists to go he has made himself into a hero in the minds of anyone he's fooled.

He's better off with the NDP, damn coward and a leech.

The article is a prime example of media sensationalism and ignorance as well as a lack of personal integrity on the part of the individual.

So all some scrotum has to do is walk up to a CF Recruiting Center, look at the door, turn around, and call the NDP - telling them he didn't join the CF because he didn't want to go to the gravel pit.  That way, he becomes a 'War Resister' without actually being inconvenienced by a few weeks of BOTC.

Right?

:rofl:

This is the best they could come up with?!?

Hence why I have always said we should have a "snowball" one night and stand up all regs and reserves.Tell them we are leaving tomorrow and see who comes up with excuses.Put all the willing troops on trains/ bus,meet in a central location and have a big ass barbeque.Take all the mir commandos and people here for a paycheck who weasled out and release.

(BTW I know this is impossiable,logistically and human rights bullpoop....but common!)

i think anyone who leaves the army  for personal reasons and politics should never be quoted because no matter the reason it will get twisted or just have a bad taste left in thier mouths and have to whine to the world how they were done wrong by the forces and mis understood by their peers and the army as a group.
go cry to your pillow and just go away

FormerHorseGuard said:
i think anyone who leaves the army  for personal reasons and politics should never be quoted because no matter the reason it will get twisted or just have a bad taste left in thier mouths and have to whine to the world how they were done wrong by the forces and mis understood by their peers and the army as a group.
go cry to your pillow and just go away

*coff*a-journalist-known-to-us*coff*

milnewstbay said:
Juarez joined the navy in 2002, lured by the promise of a steady salary. He got a transfer to the reserves last year because it allowed him more time to complete his justice-studies degree at Royal Roads University.
Wasn't Canada already in A-Stan in 2002? So he must have known there were possibilities he would be sent there to fight in the "Ill Concieved" he had opposed to right?

This piece of crap is an attention seeking scumbag.  I have spent most of the last couple of days dealing with a friend and his friends on their trip home to Canada at the Civic Hospital in Ottawa.  They are all hero's.  Then I come on site to catch up and I see this.  It just makes me very angry.  Very, very angry.

I just shouldn't post when I am angry.

"i think anyone who leaves the army  for personal reasons and politics should never be quoted because no matter the reason it will get twisted or just have a bad taste left in thier mouths and have to whine to the world how they were done wrong by the forces and mis understood by their peers and the army as a group. go cry to your pillow and just go away"

- I wish to ever so politely disagree.  I love it when these guys go public.  It lets the people of Canada in on the fact that we have to deal with some genuine idiots day in and day out.

Back