• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

You can run diesel in the Abrams. Just still burns it like a pig.
The V4 at least has the APU, so unless you are moving the vehicle you don’t need to run the turbine.
Never understood why they took so long to add a APU to them? Our hovercraft used a turbine (RR Gnome), you could adjust the fuel pump to run different fuels. Jet B was really hard on the fuel pumps as it had poor lubricating properties. That would not be an issue with diesel. However for Canada, it would be a matter of getting any fuel in the required amount at the right time that would be the issue.

Was the GDLS Abrams X proposal just a marketing demo or is there an actual next-gen Abrams program actually in place?

Was the GDLS Abrams X proposal just a marketing demo or is there an actual next-gen Abrams program actually in place?
Built it and they will come...

The assumption for years was that there was only need to incrementally update the Abrams, the Abrams X was GD trying to nudge it along at a faster pace, taking Army feedback on what they want changed, that isn't able to just be done in a SEP Version.

Never understood why they took so long to add a APU to them? Our hovercraft used a turbine (RR Gnome), you could adjust the fuel pump to run different fuels. Jet B was really hard on the fuel pumps as it had poor lubricating properties. That would not be an issue with diesel. However for Canada, it would be a matter of getting any fuel in the required amount at the right time that would be the issue.
GWOT was the main driver there, as turret watch burned a lot of fuel, and engine hours for no other good reason than it wasn't possible to plug in to a generator with a slave cable in most locations, and a lot of wartime assumptions had been the tanks would mostly be ON or OFF.
The Army tried several times to go to a diesel, but Congress refused as they wanted the multi fuel turbine (I would guess some part pork barreling, and some part just fuel option redundancy)

Was there not a trial to remove the Turbine and install a diesel in the Abrams? Or is it wishful thinking?
Nevermind I see the answer above. Too slow on the draw

Last edited:
How are the Leo's refueled? The same manner would apply to the Abrams would it not? Different fuel (or not?) but same logistics vehicles.

How are the Leo's refueled? The same manner would apply to the Abrams would it not? Different fuel (or not?) but same logistics vehicles.
As @Colin Parkinson pointed out the turbine burns a horrific amount of fuel regardless of if going full speed or sitting.
It’s a fuel burning hog. Which requires a massive infrastructure support capacity and capability.

Many more of them, with all the ripples in drivers, maintainers, additional spare vehicles, footprint in garrison and in the field, etc. before even getting into what fuel is being carried.

Many more of them, with all the ripples in drivers, maintainers, additional spare vehicles, footprint in garrison and in the field, etc. before even getting into what fuel is being carried.
In the grand scheme is really isn't that significant - about 12 more trucks for a Bde, based on a 97 ish Abrams component.

In the grand scheme is really isn't that significant - about 12 more trucks for a Bde, based on a 97 ish Abrams component.
not as long as you control the roads, the transfer stations and the skies to allow for fuel to be brought in. If you don't it becomes very significant. An additional 12 trucks is 12 more targets on the road to conceal

Sheesh that's about 50% of the vehicle allotment for 39 brigade.
For completely instinctive reasons, I thought it might be a bit of a jump in capacity.

Was surprised to see the comparison between HEMTT and HLVW fuellers: 9500 litres carried by the former, and 10,000 by the latter, a slightly smaller and apparently much lighter truck.

not as long as you control the roads, the transfer stations and the skies to allow for fuel to be brought in. If you don't it becomes very significant. An additional 12 trucks is 12 more targets on the road to conceal
As has been the case since Sopwith Camels were throwing bombs out of their cockpits. I don't know what drills the Ukrainians are using but the ones our SSM's echelon uses are pretty good. They travel about two or three tactical bounds behind the tanks. The echelon can be split with the Maint WO taking command of the second portion. Resupply can be done by battle replen, caches and running replens. Not all the echelon vehicles are trucks, there's some amour that can fight. It's something we have faced since the tanks showed up at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette and the first mass use of Mk IV's at the Battle of Cambrai . It'll likely never be perfect, but we've brought it to the point where we can mitigate a lot of the threat.

How many fuel trucks are needed to support a Leopard 2 brigade?
Can't speak for the Leo brigade, but a US ABCT has 6 x M978 HEMTT tankers (2,500 US gal each) with 6 x PLS trailers with fuel modules (2,500 US Gal each) which totals 30,000 US Gals within each of its three Combined Arms battalions. On top of that, the brigade's support battalion's distribution company has another 18 x M978s and 18 x PLS fuel module trailers for another 90,000 US Gals held within the company.

Canada's HLVW Refueler has the same capacity as the HEMTT (10,000 L/2,500 US G) while our tanker trailers are at 2,500L/825 US G. I'm not sure if there is an MSVS refueler in the system. Loggies please correct me where I'm wrong (I'm from the Jerry Can era). Not sure how many tankers of all types there are in the Cdn brigade. My guess is not even close to the US (which incidentally has USAR and USNG transport companies/battalions that specialize in POL management and transport above the brigade level.

🍻

Back