• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's New Defence Minister

We do not need a government of elites.  Anyone reasonably accomplished in any field of endeavour is suitable.

It's funny how vocabulary works.

In the mechanical world a governor restricts or limits.  And that is all that it does.

Doubt it....was probably preoccupied with the elections, with Twitter and Facebook being his more likely joints in the past months / year.

All these new ministers, anyone reckon they are all "clean" i.e. don't have things on social media that might come back to hunt them?

MCG said:
Given his time in uniform, could the new MND be a long-time site member/lurker and maybe now reading this thread for its entertainment and amusment value?  ...

Hello Mr Sajjan!  Congratulations on your new job.

Die Welt (Germany)!

Ein Superspion wird Kanadas Verteidigungsminister

Harjit Sajjan ist der ungewöhnlichste Verteidigungsminister, den der Westen je hatte. Er ist nicht nur der erste Sikh in dem Amt. Er kämpfte in Afghanistan als eine Art Superspion gegen die Taliban...

Mark
Ottawa

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Who will be very quickly advised by his DM that "You do not run the department. I do. Your job is policy. I execute."

And that is a hard lesson to accept for a CEO. Ministers are more akin to a "one-person" Board of Directors.

I get the feeling that his response will be; "Please ensure my orders are executed promptly as per my policy" At first politely and then more firmly. He also has a lot of pointy end connections who will be able to advise him when things are not reaching that end.

Postmedia is reporting that ministerial mandate letters, traditionally kept secret, will be published.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/formerly-secret-federal-mandate-letters-to-be-open

Perhaps the MND can advise his fellow cabinet ministers on the appropriate location to wear their poppies, see Diane Lebouthillier, National Revenue (lady in white in attached photo from the article).

Copyright Laws:

Articles by this reporter will not be published here, as per Site guidelines.

Loachman

This must be the fastest someone has been released from 39 CBG. Never have I seen it done in less than 4 months before.

Could it be a trickery on the eyes from your angle i.e. it's actually on the left?

Simian Turner said:
Perhaps the MND can advise his fellow cabinet ministers on the appropriate location to wear their poppies, see Diane Lebouthillier, National Revenue (lady in white in attached photo from the article).

I watched the swearing in, she was wearing it on the left.

There you go....."objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" was in effect  ;D

That was a typo, on my phone. It was on her right side (aka improper). Just is on the left side when she was face to camera.

At least she was wearing one.  I can well imagine there would have/could have been or maybe there are MP's who would not wear a poppy for all the wrong reasons.

jollyjacktar said:
At least she was wearing one.  I can well imagine there would have/could have been or maybe there are MP's who would not wear a poppy for all the wrong reasons.

I'd like to think that over the past 10 years, public sentiment would force said MPs to wear one, if just for appearances.

I hate to break this bad news to you guys (and gals, if any), but those of us in the military or ex-service people are the only ones that have knowledge or are bound by the dress manual's rules for "proper" placement of the poppy. The CF Dress Manual is not general law of the land .

Civilian, like that minister are not bound by any rule with regards to how they choose to wear the poppies, nor on the time of the year to wear them. I think society expects them to wear them in a dignified manner in view of the meaning, but that is all. If civilians want to wear the poppy years round and on their back pocket, there is nothing "improper" about it and you ain't got nothing to complain about.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I hate to break this bad news to you guys (and gals, if any), but those of us in the military or ex-service people are the only ones that have knowledge or are bound by the dress manual's rules for "proper" placement of the poppy. The CF Dress Manual is not general law of the land .

Civilian, like that minister are not bound by any rule with regards to how they choose to wear the poppies, nor on the time of the year to wear them. I think society expects them to wear them in a dignified manner in view of the meaning, but that is all. If civilians want to wear the poppy years round and on their back pocket, there is nothing "improper" about it and you ain't got nothing to complain about.

7  pages of detailed discussion here,

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1746.0;nowap

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Amen.

A woman buying something off me on Kijiji, was shocked to hear from me that it's remembrance day tomorrow, and not happy that she couldn't receive the item during the day  ::)

Canada's new defense minister, a decorated combat vet, has secured his release from the Canadian Forces, eliminating a quirky situation in which he would be overseeing generals who are technically his superiors.

https://news.vice.com/article/canadas-badass-defense-minister-has-been-released-from-the-military-and-now-he-can-order-generals-around

Back