• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's New Defence Minister

StarFury said:
I don't believe that you're correct on this point; the MDN is, actually, specifically allocated compliments per the 201.

You are in fact correct.

As for salutations, I suspect that it is similar to the situation when Prince Harry or Prince William were in the British military.  While in uniform and acting as Commissioned Officers, they had to salute superior officers (thereby showing respect to the Crown, i.e. their grandmother), but when acting as a member of the Royal Family, they are in fact the ones receiving the salute.

Colin P said:
I wonder if after his stint at NDHQ he will prefer working with the Taliban?  8)
Well at least the ethical and intellectual standards will be higher.  ;)

mick said:
Interestingly, the MND's bio on the DND website refers to him as "a retired Lieutenant-Colonel in the Canadian Armed Forces and a combat veteran."

If the minister is, in fact, now in the Supp Res, would he actually be subject to the CSD while on DND property (despite the fact that he is occupying a civilian position and fulfilling a non-military role)?

As a member of the Supp Res myself, am I somehow subject to the CSD if I'm delivering a pizza to Edmonton Garrison?

IIRC, the Supp Ready Reserve is officially part of the Reserve Force (a sub-component by definition?).

From QR & O, Vol 1:

1.03 - PERSONS SUBJECT TO QR&O

(1) Unless the context otherwise requires, and subject to article 1.24 (Regulations and Orders - General), QR&O and all orders and instructions issued to the Canadian Forces under authority of the National Defence Act, apply to:
a.the Regular Force;
b.the Special Force;
c.the Reserve Force when subject to the Code of Service Discipline; and
d.unless the Minister otherwise directs, any person not mentioned in subparagraphs (a), (b) and (c) if the person is subject to the Code of Service Discipline.

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member who becomes a prisoner of war continues to be subject to QR&O and all orders and instructions issued to the Canadian Forces under authority of the National Defence Act.

(G)

And from Qr & O, Vol 2:

Section 1 – Jurisdiction - Persons

102.01 – PERSONS SUBJECT TO THE CODE OF SERVICE DISCIPLINE

Section 60 of the National Defence Act provides:

"60. (1) The following persons are subject to the Code of Service Discipline:
a.an officer or non-commissioned member of the regular force;
b.an officer or non-commissioned member of the special force;
c.an officer or non-commissioned member of the reserve force when the officer or non-commissioned member is

i.undergoing drill or training, whether in uniform or not,
ii.in uniform,
iii.on duty,
iv.[Repealed, S.C. 1998, c. 35, s. 19],
v.called out under Part VI in aid of the civil power,
vi.called out on service,
vii.placed on active service,
viii.in or on any vessel, vehicle or aircraft of the Canadian Forces or in or on any defence establishment or work for defence,
ix.serving with any unit or other element of the regular force or the special force, or
x.present, whether in uniform or not, at any drill or training of a unit or other element of the Canadian Forces;

d.subject to such exceptions, adaptations and modifications as the Governor in Council may by regulations prescribe, a person who, pursuant to law or pursuant to an agreement between Canada and the state in whose armed forces the person is serving, is attached or seconded as an officer or non-commissioned member to the Canadian Forces;
e.a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, who is serving in the position of an officer or non-commissioned member of any force raised and maintained outside Canada by Her Majesty in right of Canada and commanded by an officer of the Canadian Forces;
f.a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, who accompanies any unit or other element of the Canadian Forces that is on service or active service in any place;
g.subject to such exceptions, adaptations and modifications as the Governor in Council may by regulations prescribe, a person attending an institution established under section 47;
h.an alleged spy for the enemy;
i.a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, who, in respect of any service offence committed or alleged to have been committed by the person, is in civil custody or in service custody; and
j.a person, not otherwise subject to the Code of Service Discipline, while serving with the Canadian Forces under an engagement with the Minister whereby the person agreed to be subject to that Code.

The Supp Ready Reserve and Supp Holding Reserve were merged into a single Supp Res about 15 years ago.

opcougar said:
I choked on my Earl Grey reading this in BOLD  ;D Who will be the superior officer laying the charge....PM JT?

Since the Prime Minister has no authority under the CSD (and in fact is not mentioned in the NDA) - No.

The authority to lay charges is specified in the CSD.

107.02 – AUTHORITY TO LAY CHARGES

The following persons may lay charges under the Code of Service Discipline:

a.  a commanding officer;
b.  an officer or non-commissioned member authorized by a commanding officer to lay charges; and
c.  a member of the military police assigned to investigative duties with the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service.

Blackadder1916 said:
The authority to lay charges is specified in the CSD.

Odd, I would have thought (I assumed?) it also included 'an officer commanding a command'.

Eye In The Sky said:
Odd, I would have thought (I assumed?) it also included 'an officer commanding a command'.

Probably because at the highest level it is an Officer Commanding a Command presiding at the Summary Trial.  If the Officer Commanding a Command laid the charges, who would preside?  Without going into the books and checking I do not believe it can be the same person.

Edit: they can, but normally shouldn't. They could also pass it to another OCC, but that could be awkward.

Edit2: note it might be better to say superior commander rather than OCC.

dapaterson said:
Tell us some more stories about the SMG and FN ;)

The SMG has a blow back action bolt and was a right side fire weapon only.  If you were a lefty and carelessly fired from that side there is a good chance you now have burn scars from the hot casings thrown in your face and perhaps down your shirt.  It also pulled up and to the left when fired.

The FN required you to roll your cheek on it and hold correctly or end up with swollen cheeks/black eyes.  It also easily penetrated the brain buckets in use at the time as attested by one young officer who's helmet was "misplaced" on the target during a range shoot while in charge of the butt party.  It was also handy to shut up any new members that whined about carrying the tonka toy rifle on a hike.

Old but remember some things.

Eye In The Sky said:
ugh.  I am that old now I guess...
hell I served with the M151 MUTT, Iltis, and G wagon..........

my72jeep said:
Let's not forget this "man portable over short distances" wonder, then ....
106jeep.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:

Anyone who has the powers of a commanding officer will be officially designated as having such powers, sometimes even if that pers does not have the title of "CO".  Perhaps it is possible that a superior commander may also have the powers of a commanding officer in certain circumstances.  This sounds like one of those questions that FJAG could best answer.

It's been a long time since I actually saw a CFOO, so my memory may be deficient.  The CFOO for every unit will indicate if the officer appointed to command said organization is designated a "commanding officer" and will (should?) also designate who is the next superior officer in matters of discipline.

Maybe the new MND could do some Class A days as an "extraneous NDHQ LCol without portfolio" when the house isn't sitting.

If he crafted ministerial direction cunningly enough, he could even task himself with something. :)

milnews.ca said:
Let's not forget this "man portable over short distances" wonder, then ....
106jeep.jpg
my72jeep said:

Damn. It's now official. I'm old.

Ahh memories of those sun baked days in Aldershot.

Given his time in uniform, could the new MND be a long-time site member/lurker and maybe now reading this thread for its entertainment and amusment value?  ...

Hello Mr Sajjan!  Congratulations on your new job.

Back