• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camp Bold Eagle

Future Unknown said:
well I was in the building with the bold eagle course, that was fun!
I'm not going to get into specifics but going out to the smoking pit and being accosted to buy someone a 26 wasn't cool.

I realize that you were at the end of your course and despite all the softening that has occurred over the years from when it was known as battleschool you needed sleep. Did you ever think that one of the purposes of the "Bold Eagle" program was to help eliminate that problem. To a lot of those students that is a part of their surroundings they live in on a daily basis. The other little interesting part of the program is to give these students a chance of a good nights sleep without having to worry about "Uncle Fred" getting up close and personal for the night. There is more to that program that you either did not take the time to learn about or you were to busy displaying the "cock of the walk"

you weren't there, and by no means am I trying to paint them all with the same brush, but i think a few were very manipulative, they certainly could dish the harassment according to the females on our course but they were also quick to lay out the charges. I'm not excusing the perceived  behavior of a course mate because after all it is impact not intent.
I understand that they come from varying social backgrounds and even had a few good conversations with a couple good ones, but i didn't want to start a crap storm with a group of candidates that had demonstrated there ability to embellish something they had heard.
The course had problems, but they were not my problems and I wanted to stay as grey as humanly possible, especially near the end.
Alas as a young inexperienced trooper I have no idea of the frustration the staff may or may not have felt instructing that course but I can start to imagine in my limited dealings with a couple.

edited so as to not offend the sensibilities of other.

no course is without its flaws,
occasionally we would stubble back into the shacks from JD's or the mess on a friday or saturday night being a little loud and full of ourselfs.
I tried to keep my head down, and all I'm saying is that I saw things when I was out there,
Like the attempt to get alcohol,
or the BIQ from across the square coming for late night chill sessions,
or yelling lewd things to the females on our course (this was eventually brought to the attention of the course staff of bold eagle).
and I'm sure a few of the graduates will go on to become fine soldiers in the Canadian Forces.

other post/ threads on this topic and on this particular discusion of the moment:
Native protesters 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/52597/post-489880.html#msg489880

Coderre Calls for Aboriginal CF Unit, Base
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/59782/post-555455.html#msg555455

Trying to start a reserve unit 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/19720/post-293915.html#msg293915

Are Our Laws Being Applied Equally?? 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44916/post-392790.html#msg392790

What do you really know about the Canadian Rangers
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39261/post-545435.html#msg545435

Military Making Pitch to Aboriginal Youth
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31049/post-221254.html#msg221254

Is the CAF as diversified as canada is?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37/post-422292.html#msg422292

Ex, in the last link pbi sheds some more light on your initial question as does one of the Esquimalt Trg Officers in one of the prior links.
3rd Herd has a new toy- advanced search  ;D

edit: grammer

I am a product of Bold Eagle! The instructors were awesome and I am a result of their teachings. 4 years ago I entered the CF and a thousand eyes watching debating if Bold Eagle is worth it. Believe me it is. I am here and I am a soldier in the Canadian Forces thanks to Bold Eagle.

Rage

rage said:
I am a product of Bold Eagle! The instructors were awesome and I am a result of their teachings. 4 years ago I entered the CF and a thousand eyes watching debating if Bold Eagle is worth it. Believe me it is. I am here and I am a soldier in the Canadian Forces thanks to Bold Eagle.

Rage

Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is not worth it I am just saying that this years group treated it like summer camp, I mean nothing we did seemed to bother them, there where more charges that I can remember and for the most part they all thought it was a big game.  I know a few troops that went through Bold Eagle and stayed in and they are good troops so there is nothing wrong with the program just the majority that where there this year.

Understoood, no one wants those slackers in the CF. i  was 31 during Bold Eagle, I wanted to be there. I was the oldest guy in history and I love being a soldier and had alot of disputes with stupid kids but dicovered what "in barracks justice" was. I am here and they are NOT!

I've been tracking the statistics for 5 years. On an average year 20-45% join either the PRes or Reg F within 6 months of graduation. Most are from remote communities and still in highschool, so don't join right away. There is a tendency 2 or so years after completing the program for some people to join up, once they have finished school, but that number is hard to quantify.

A study was done in 2002 where an attempt was made to contact all graduates (since 90) and find out what they were doing at that time. That found that 11% of the total was still in the CF, and approx the same percent was in RCMP or other policing/correctional services. I would guess that compares to the graduates of any PRes course over a 12 year period.

The army funds Bold Eagle as an employment equity initiative, and therefore hopes that a good number decide that the CF is a good career for them. The program is a partnership however, partially funded by aboriginal organizations. For their part, they want to see young people develop skills, self-confidence, teamwork and discipline. Bold Eagle begun when their veterans who had gone on into leadership positions on Reserves aproached the military for a program that would develop these qualities. The vast majority of graduates do go on to complete their education and enter the workforce as productive citizens, and therefore the Aboriginal leadership considers the program a terrific success.

Like any partnership, both sides need to get something out of the deal. I would venture to say programs like Bold Eagle that reduce poverty, alienation and disengagement in our own aboriginal population does more to enhance Canada's security than digging any number of wells in Afgahnistan will. It isn't as glorious for the instructors, but just as important.

maclaine, I'm glad you decided to join and post since you are the SME for Bold Eagle.

The Raven program is pretty much the equivalent of Bold Eagle and they are both Reserve Entry programs. In some communities the Bold Eagle and Raven course will grant P Res BMQ equivalent. Not always though.

There is also the CFAEP (CF Aboriginal Entry Program) which allows them to get a taste of the CF for a few weeks in Farnham Québec. If they like it, they can write the CFAT and get enrolled to go to BMQ.

I will be done my University this summer and am interested in training. An elder told me about Operation Bold Eagle, I was hoping for some wisdom from veterans of this program or anyone who has experience in this matter.

Operation Bold Eagle (http://www.army.gc.ca/boldeagle/contents.htm)

Was the training experience different in comparison to what your colleagues went through?

Did they incorporate traditional teaching well?

Was the experience spiritual in a traditional way?

Are you treated differently after taking this course?

I look after the Bold Eagle program on behalf of the Army.  I am not a "veteran" of the program per se however I do spend the summer overseeing the program in Wainwright, AB.  I thought I would offer some information in regards to the questions posed below.

Bold Eagle recruits undertake the same Army Reserve Basic Military Qualification course as any other member of the Army Reserve.  The only difference, Bold Eagle adds a cultural component that includes: a four day culture camp which covers traditional customs and teachings, a visit to a local powwow, two Elders as staff who hold regular Elder hours/circles each week, a designated career day to explore future options, and inclusion of Aboriginal customs during the graduation ceremony.  Otherwise, the training is at the same military standard, so that if you decide to continue to serve in the Army Reserve afterwards, your next level of training would be the Soldier Qualification course alongside your fellow Army Reservists. 

As for the culture camp, specific activities include sharing circles, pipe ceremonies, sweats, tipi building, skit night, lifestyle discussions, and fitness.  Recruits participate as much as they want to in the traditional activities - for example if you do not want to sweat, you do not have to (although we hope everyone chooses to experience these activities).  The camp also helps foster teamwork in preparation for starting basic training, which I believe helps attribute to the high completion rate (89% of the recruits successfully completed the program in 2008).  Given that the recruits come from all across western-Canada and north-western Ontario, rural and urban environments, it also helps bridge cultural nuances and allows recruits to become familiar with their new surroundings.  The culture camp is led by Elders and staff contracted by the Aboriginal partner organizations involved alongside the Canadian Forces in providing this program.

Of the 57 who graduated last year, 56 said they would recommend the program to family and friends.  The feedback from the graduates indicated a successful program that helped develop teamwork, self discipline, self confidence and fitness to name but a few attributes.  Of course some dissatisfiers were expressed - getting up early, long hours, and demanding inspections for example.  That is normal for basic training though...

I have one case of a Bold Eagle graduate from last summer who has gone on to serve in a Reserve unit.  She joined a medical unit and has indicated to me that she really likes the people and that her training is already progressing; such that she is currently attending her Soldier Qualification course and they are planning to load her on her occupation training this summer.  I would recommend visiting the "Breaking News" section in the Bold Eagle website http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/boldeagle/news.asp as you will find relevant information about the 2008 course and its graduates.

I notice that a Bold Eagle graduate posted comments about a positive Bold Eagle experience earlier in this forum.  I hope this helps with your interest in the program.  I would recommend moving forward with an application if this is something you would like to experience.

Back