• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cambrian Patrol 2005

R711 said:
The Info that i was going of off was from the General in charge of the Wales Brigade when he presented us the medals he stated we were the only Cdn team to achieve the medal so far.
R711 OUT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there a couple of LER's on that silver medal team? I was on the Loyal Eddie team in 2000, and we got a lot of advice from our members of that silver medal team. It was superb training and I recommend it to anyone.

I just joined the LER's and was just wondering if they put a team in every year

Actually it was a bronze medal and there was an Arty guy on the team and a 4 LERS on the team. In fact I am looking at the  certificate on my wall right now. So the game, begins which unit am I from MoRat. Think about it look at my MOC and you'll Know who I am
R711 OUT

I trained with and attended the exercise with N Sask R a few years back.  As an engineer from BC attached to the unit, I could think, EVERY training night, of the excellent resources BC units would have/could have in their grasp - candidates from all units, and support from (likely) all units in training scenarios, rain, hills, cold water, rain, hills - no baby's heads, but lots of rain and hills.  And I agree fully with other posts - candidates are guaranteed to come out with better personal skills and motivation.  We had a british fellow train us, but I think there is enough experience out and about that you wouldn't need to task out.  There was an Argyll team competing at the same time as us, and one thing both units did was liase with a british unit (Argylls, and Light Infantry).  Made a huge difference to the team to be able to get that in-house support. 

England can fit into ---Vancouver Island?  What a fantastic opportunity to get something like this up and running in Canada. 
Good luck.
Chimo

R711 said:
Actually it was a bronze medal and there was an Arty guy on the team and a 4 LERS on the team. In fact I am looking at the   certificate on my wall right now. So the game, begins which unit am I from MoRat. Think about it look at my MOC and you'll Know who I am
R711 OUT

Since you have the certificate, and I've only got the war stories, I'll take your word as authoritative. I'm good friends with the 2ic from that team, and he has some pretty crazy stories about it. As he puts it, when the end came, you guys were way beyond bagged. He said he has never been so tired, hungry, or thirsty in his life.

In regards to other questions on this thread:

- No, the LER's do not enter Cambrian every year. We entered teams in 2000 and 2001 but haven't been back since. Sadly, neither medalled. Nonetheless the experience was invaluable. (For those who would scoff at that statement, sometimes you learn just as much from your mistakes, as from your successes.) Our teams were largely the product of a single senior officer, who had a strange ability to arrange high-speed stuff like that. Since he's been gone, we've been rather pedestrian in our training.

- I read an article in the Western Sentinel about a patrolling competition based on Cambrian run by the N SASK R, but it could have been another unit. Various reserve units, as well as 2 PPCLI entered teams. For units that want to participate in such an exercise, perhaps this might be a good start.

- I don't care what colour your medal is. It could be filled with chocolate for all I care. If you've got one, I tip my hat to you.

For those who have participated, perhaps they can clear up two questions I have always had about the competition.
1. Is it in the rules that an officer MUST command the patrol?

2. If a member of the team is injured, may the team evac him and carry on without him, or are they eliminated?

The BCR put a team in the 2000 patrol, we did not medal either and I must agree with you that the experience was worth every second. As for you questions:

There must be an Officer as team leader, this is more for leason purposes with the British Army than anything else. Our team was commanded by a Sgt.

As for injuries IIRC you can lose a mbr and carry on w/ the msn, if too many go down the umpire cadre may call the team out and thats it... your done.

In mt personal opinion the real value in the CP program is that it gives individuals and units a reason to do very high speed - low drag training that may seem pointless without the CP as an end goal.

It has the added bonus of being able to separate the men from the boys with some interesting results, all is not always as it seems.

Parasoldier said:
I am sure that this is not correct.  2 RCR won a gold in 1996.

1997, actually: http://www.army.dnd.ca/RCR_RHQ/English/regimental_archive/index_dec97.shtm

1st time a Canadian team took gold. I know one of the patrol members, and he got a LFC Commendation for it.

But no matter what reserve unit did what when, or didn't do, it's a rough go, and even finishing the course is worthy of some pretty hefty praise (was told it makes the Mountain Man look like a walk in the park). Good on ya for even trying it.

For those who have participated, perhaps they can clear up two questions I have always had about the competition.
1. Is it in the rules that an officer MUST command the patrol?

As stated, an officer is required as team leader for at least liason purposes.  During our patrol, we met teams that had officers commanding them, officer cadet patrols, and the usual NCM patrols. 

2. If a member of the team is injured, may the team evac him and carry on without him, or are they eliminated?
We lost two members during the patrol.  One marched to the top of a hill to be rewarded with a helicopter ride, and the other rolled his ankle about 2 hours from the end of the patrol.  The team DID finish, and DID finish with enough points to medal, but did NOT meet the requirement of finishing with 7 men. We passed quite a few teams that lost one member and said "F*#k it" and evacced.  It's awfully easy to roll an ankle/blow a knee in Sennybridge, and 110 pounds is a lot of weight to carry for 3 days.

ShaBoing said:
yes, but i was stating that Hasty P's got silver which is true cause Hasty P's were on the team ;) :p

Notwithstanding your interpretation of the facts, the medal was not won only by a Hasty P.  It was won collectively by all members of the 33 CBG team.  To say anything else belittles the accomplishments of the team.

Hey R711.
I was on the team in '97  and I don't remember any medics.  What was your position on the team?  Navigator perhaps?

And as far as I know, we were the first reserve team to participate on the Cambrian Patrol.

JS

Maybe I was the Medic Navigator LOL who the hell are you? I was an LER now I am Going Nursing Officer ohhhhhh the horror
R711OUT

Jamtorky said:
Just curious if anyone has any personal experience with this exercise... planning ..work up... costs.... equipment needed..... process for application as a CDN Res Unit..

I am planning on proposing that my Reserve Regt put together a team for this year...

I am looking for some information on training and preparing for this gruelling test!!!

Also if anyone knows the proper channels for Canadian units to go through to get permission or support or if there is an OPI for LFWA.

As for getting there... is this personally funded or is there funds allocated to get us over there

thanks

I was the Ptl Comd for the 33 CBG team in 2004.  We had $250000 to train for a year.  We trained every other wkn.  Myself and the Coach were on a one year contract to plan and coord the trg.  We trained hard and covered everything possible.  I think an advanced Recce course would be a good platform to start with.  We ended up receiving a Silver.  It is a tough go and the terrain is unforgiving.  We did not stop to eat and only ate one of our 24 hr ration packs through out.  We were short on water and we almost thundered in twice.  One member was dehydrated, and another through up violently near the end.  If you can not train properly, don't bother going.  You will last 4 hrs and will most likely get someone hurt.  We still had a lot of money left over and that included the cost for the entire trip.  They held two selections and started with two Sgts competing for commander and around 30 troops.  At the end of training we had 10.  8 Ptl members 2 drivers.  All I can tell you is it is not a joke, you need the right people, who can push themselves to the brink and beyond. 

Is there a team from 32 CBG? Would be interested in more information if there was.

I was part of the 2005 Cambrian Patrol that the A&SH of C (PL) put together.  I believe we had 60K to train from September to the beginning of the competition.  Our trainning consisted of stairs two times a week for 2 hours with full kit and rucksacks weighing 100 lb., between those days independently running, swimming and gym.  The flights and accomodations were paid by the CF.  I would recommend investing in a pair of Danners (boots) approx. $400 and a Bergen rucksack $300.  Once there you will have time to train with the hosting British troops, and learn their unencrypted radios, BATCO, weapons and all the good stuff.  If you need more details e-mail me.  :cdn:

Vigilant said:
Is there a team from 32 CBG? Would be interested in more information if there was.

Yes there is, and the team has been broken down to around 12 candidates.  I know 2 guys who have made the this number, one of whom has dropped out.

At a date closer to the event the team is supposed to be cut down to I think 6 guys.

When my unit was briefed on the tryouts, it was also mentioned that 32 bde competitors will be issued the new ruck for the event and that some SA80's are trying to be aquired for trg.

That was a few months ago though.

I was the patrol commander for the LER team in 2001.  Many many lessons learned before during and after the 'patrol'.  Our biggest mistake was in approaching the event as a patrol competition and not as a time trial skills event, our training reflected this mistake as well.  We started out exceptionally well but could not keep our timings... we wasted way too much time being tactical while all of the local teams stuck to roads and crossed bridges that were their objectives, etc. to save time (I also made one huge navigation error). 

We had an outstanding team, hardest part of the event was picking who would compete.  Picked up a lot of valuable information and skills, especially in detailed OPORDERS. 
I would recommend to anyone who has the chance to do what they can to participate. 
Keep in mind however that it is a competition, not a patrol.

J. Gayson said:
Yes there is, and the team has been broken down to around 12 candidates.  I know 2 guys who have made the this number, one of whom has dropped out.

Well, they only started off with MAYBE 20 people who actually showed up the first training weekend. And more have dropped out rather than people being chosen at this stage. I hope whoever makes the final team, I think to be chosen by June, that they do well!

Swanita

I was on the RCR team in 2003 a Silver award.It was one of the best things I have in my career.

2RCR  probably has  more experience with the patrol than any other unit in Canada Regs as well as res.I can at least say they have had the most success. They have competed five times from1996-2003 and have recieved 1 Gold,2Silver,and 2Bronze awards.

I would recommend to anyone plannining to do the patrol to hump,hump,and hump some more.Don't waste your time running!We rucked every morning for about 10-15k then attended classes all day on SOP's,AFV,fire missions,map and compass,NBC,etc.We also completed two mini exercises prior to heading to the U.K. which assessed our stengths and weaknesses.

It was a great experience.The only thing that would have made it better would to have recieved gold. A British team from our serial recieved gold.Mr. Pratt (forgot his rank)the patrol organizer told us only one team per serial can recieve gold max. It was his opinion that it should have been ours. Politics at work.I recommend this ex to everyone.

Haggis said:
Notwithstanding your interpretation of the facts, the medal was not won only by a Hasty P.  It was won collectively by all members of the 33 CBG team.  To say anything else belittles the accomplishments of the team.

Just to make it clear

There were 10 members on the 33 CBG team and a coach

The Ptl commander was a Hasty Pee as well as the coach
3 Ptl members were Hasty Pee's with one being a driver/spare
The 2 IC and 1 Ptl member were from 3 FES
1 Ptl member was a Cameron
1 was a GGFG and was a driver/spare
2 Ptl members were SD&G

The Team received a silver medal in 2004

I bet Pasky can give you guys lots of info in regards to the history of the Argylls winning....though I haven't heard that we've ever won gold. I heard we were the only reserve unit sending a team.....
From an admin side, the boys got paid, claims, flights paid for, R&Q while over there (Somehow this didn't quite work as planned though). They raised money to buy their kit through support of the members of the unit and they worked their asses off. As far as an officer leading, we had an officer go over, but I'm not sure he was the leader anymore than on paper, one of the Sgts was very instrumental in running the patrol. The CO and RSM even went over for a few days to meet the boys at the end. It was hard work for the team as well as the BOR staff who worked on it constantly for the last few weeks leading up to Wales.
If you're interested in sending a team, make sure you have some switched on clerks!

Back