• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Appropriate for Wear in Public?

Do you think that Cadpat/Combats is an appropriate form of dress for CF Members attending public eve

• Yes, I think that cadpats should be appropriate for wear at all public occasions.

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • No, I think that DEUs are a better representation of a professional when in the public eye.

Votes: 139 47.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smity199 said:
Just wondering are you allowed to wear your dress uniform when you get married?

Yes, but there are two things to consider:

1. ask your chain of command for permission (best way to get permission is to invite your CO, OC, RSM or CSM to the ceremony).

2. make sure your prospective spouse doesn't outrank you at the wedding, because she certainly will afterwards!

Events like schools, CNE, employment centres etc. However we make sure the CADPAT is in good repair. I see a lot of the people coming out of the ASU with CADPAT looking shabby. If your going out in public then you should portray a high standard of dress. The excuse "everyone else is in jeans and t-shirts" doesn't cut it. It's the old "if they jumped off a bridge then would you" come back. We need to show a standard of professionalism above the norm because we are above the norm. Recruiting events are different. CADPAT is an attractor. It brings people in to talk about your experiences and think about it form themselves.

Smity199 said:
Just wondering are you allowed to wear your dress uniform when you get married?

I believe so....I know a few Navy guys that got married in their Dress outfit.

To the recruiter person above.....yes recruitment centre staff wear cadpats, but on swearing-in days, it's DEUs from what have seen.

FDO said:
Events like schools, CNE, employment centres etc. However we make sure the CADPAT is in good repair. I see a lot of the people coming out of the ASU with CADPAT looking shabby. If your going out in public then you should portray a high standard of dress. The excuse "everyone else is in jeans and t-shirts" doesn't cut it. It's the old "if they jumped off a bridge then would you" come back. We need to show a standard of professionalism above the norm because we are above the norm. Recruiting events are different. CADPAT is an attractor. It brings people in to talk about your experiences and think about it form themselves.

Touche'.....well put

In the Centre when we have to deal with the public in a formal setting like enrolments the staff wear DEUs. The front desk staff also wear DEUs as do the Career Counsellors. This is because it's more formal in these circumstances. We don't have to attract anyone they're already there.

FDO said:
That being said nothing looks worse than a CADPAT uniform that has a really faded bottom and a brand new top or other way around.

Anytime I've went to clothing to get a new uniform because mine is faded and mismatched I get laughed at.
"Well just find a faded top to go with your bottoms,or wash the top more HA HA HA HA"

Soldiers are faced with either willfully destroying CF property (ie slash the combats) which of course none of us do, OR, playing the not from your platoon 2IC game.
"Please give so and so a new pair of pants because he looks like shit" which is followed by the clothing higher ups barking at the poor cpl following orders.

The two colour combat problem is because of different kinds of materials being used for the tops and bottoms or different 'years' of uniform manufacture. If you have set of pants made a while ago and a newer shit, the materal from the former fads much faster.

ruckmarch said:
I believe so....I know a few Navy guys that got married in their Dress outfit.

To the recruiter person above.....yes recruitment centre staff wear cadpats, but on swearing-in days, it's DEUs from what have seen.

When I was sworn in only the CO was wearing DEU, the front desk people and career counsellors were all wearing CADPATS like usual, they didnt even come out to observe the ceremony, but I dont blame them they are probably really busy

What other Centres do is outside my control. My CO has said we do it this way. Cool ting about being CO you can make rules like that and everyone follows them. Oh it's good to be king!!

Flawed Design said:
Anytime I've went to clothing to get a new uniform because mine is faded and mismatched I get laughed at.
"Well just find a faded top to go with your bottoms,or wash the top more HA HA HA HA"

Soldiers are faced with either willfully destroying CF property (ie slash the combats) which of course none of us do, OR, playing the not from your platoon 2IC game.
"Please give so and so a new pair of pants because he looks like shit" which is followed by the clothing higher ups barking at the poor cpl following orders.

The two colour combat problem is because of different kinds of materials being used for the tops and bottoms or different 'years' of uniform manufacture. If you have set of pants made a while ago and a newer shit, the materal from the former fads much faster.

Too true, different lots and batch numbers fade at different rates - even the recently manufactured stuff. Brand new pants and shirts issued on the very same day may match (or mostly, even they are different in colour shading!! That happens when there's a couple sub-contractors making pants and a couple of other sub-contractors making the shirts) when you leave clothing with them, but 10 washes later and they don't match anymore.

There is a message on "fading" which direct that cadpat can only be exchanged (for fading) once they've reached a 50% 'fade rate'. When this message came out, I found some of my staff would exchange and others would not - the "50%" call being an ambigious number. I hung a faded set of cadpat on a clothes hanger up front and right behind the front counter wth a sign that reads:  "When your cadpat gets this faded, we can exchang it for you." There's also a copy of the message posted beside it if any of the customers should have any issues with that. That set of cadpat hangs there to this day. If any of the staff wonder if a customers cadpat has reached the allowable level of 'fade' they simply hold the customers uniform up next to the set hanging there. So, at least we have a 'standard' to enforce when otherwise it would be purely a judgment call based on "50%" - with each tech working the counter making a personal decision that essentially relates into "no standard".

We once had an outgoing CO of a Unit send a whole platoon down to clothing who had given them a directive that "they each exchange a set of cadpat and obtain a brand new set for the CoC parade". The troops called me out to the front counter --- I spoke with the Pl Comd and refused (politely) to do the exchanges as the uniforms they reported with were perfectly fine and nowhere near to an 80% level of fade let alone the "minimum 50%" level that our directives lay out for us. The complaints happened. The Comd put his foot down and pointed out that cadpat were considered and brought into service as the Army's "field uniform" and not it's parade uniform - that was DEU if the CO wanted everyone "looking perfect and brand new". No exchanges occured.

As an aside: Most troops, in my experience, coming in for cadpat issues/exchanges actually ask for "used stuff" instead of new stuff ... as none of them want to be the guy who seems to be "the newbie with no TI in the field".

Another aside: "Fade" and "Wear" are two totally diffrent things. If your thighs, ass, whatever is suffereing "wear" (thus I can tell what colour underwear you have on etc), but the colouring is still 99% there ... they are exchangeable.

It seems a shame that with all the money spent on uniforms that there are still serious problems like this.. the whole point of issued uniforms is so that everyone looks the same and 'uniform'. With different tops and bottoms all at different colors and shades of fading after the first couple of years youd think something would be done to correct the problem long term.. is it just the CADPATs that fade like this or do other militarys uniforms also have the same flaw??

Smity199 said:

All textiles fade. There have been problems with batches fading prematurely but unless you always wear the same top& bottom together and wash them together , etc.... you will have garments that fade differently by some measure.

I wear one-peice flightsuits and they fade pretty much uniformly. That being said, some areas stay the original colour better since they are not exposed to as much wear and sunlight, etc...

I can see the flightsuit not fading. Not much sunlight in a hotel lounge!

FDO said:
I can see the flightsuit not fading. Not much sunlight in a hotel lounge!

Psssst......why would i be wearing my flightsuit in the hotel longe ?

...or you're trying to pick up chicks wearing your "I am a pilot, therfore cooler than thou" uniform! haha

FDO said:
Civvies being dry cleaned!!?

No one mentioned "civvies being drycleaned" - especially not at Crown expense. So I'm not sure where your comment is coming from.

Cooks whites/aprons & medical smocks/lab coats etc are part of their "uniforms" (usuallu worn over their cadpat etc); those item are issued by the CF.

ArmyVern said:
No one mentioned "civvies being drycleaned" - especially not at Crown expense. So I'm not sure where your comment is coming from.

Read the few posts that preceed it.

Smity199 said:
It seems a shame that with all the money spent on uniforms that there are still serious problems like this.. the whole point of issued uniforms is so that everyone looks the same and 'uniform'. With different tops and bottoms all at different colors and shades of fading after the first couple of years youd think something would be done to correct the problem long term.. is it just the CADPATs that fade like this or do other militarys uniforms also have the same flaw??

Ever try dying an easter egg. Use the exact same dye on the very same egg ... but if that dye stays on the egg for 1.2 seconds longer in one spot than on another spot of the egg --- you'll have a different shade in the end.

Now try having "multiple" 'subcontractors' of the actual contractor (some maing our pants - others making our shirts) using even the exact same batch of dye (highly unlikely) in the exact same kind of vat, but some shirts stay in the vat for 5 seconds longer than the others ... guess what happens? Even were the all to remain "in the vat" for the exact same time period (down to the second) - the enviornmental temperatures within the company are different (different room temps etc) and all can have an effect on the final product.

All "pat" pattern uniforms from all militaries suffer from this issue. The problem with uneven fading is simply "more pronounced" with multi-coloured uniforms than with uni-coloured uniforms.

CDN Aviator said:
Read the few posts that preceed it.

I did; I'm still at aloss though.

I see a discussion about you hawt aircrew types wearing your chick-magnet civ attire in your 5 star hotels ... but no discussion aout us dry-cleaning them for you.  :-\

Alors, j'ai mal à la tête ...  8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back