• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets vs Boy Scouts (role, "child soldiers", etc.)

struggle to do 5 push ups???
They must be failing Gym in school In grade 8 anything under 14 is a fail. Im far from top condition but I can do 30 at least. I would be in Cadets but my cousin told me what its like and It basically sounds like boy scouts with really strict leaders If I wanted to be in boy scouts Id join the one without the push ups and strict leaders If it was like Cadets is supose to be then I wouldnt mind the Discipline and push ups and such.

Coniar

Yeah I guess some these kids are failing gym but what can say laziness is wining the war. There aren‘t enough people who actually think working out will help you. I work out about three times a week and I feel great.

Fior-Go-Bas :cdn:

i agree with most of you (i am from uk) in a way i blame the parents!!! if anyone says the wrong words to there kids (including teachers) the parents try to sue them so how are these kids meant to learn any sort of discipline. I am a woman and served in the british army and believe me i did not ask for a seperate latrine (as the guy above described) and no I am not a manly woman I have long and I still managed to beat the men at a lot of things. Woman can play on their sex in the Army and it used to piss me off as well but give credit to the women who done it for the joy of soldier and serving their country(and not to see how many men they could lay)and done their soldiering well!!!!

The general public does not like seeing little 12 year olds running around (or doing drill) with weapons. This is what I was told...

I think that a resolution would be to form an Canadian Army Cadet Force, like the British one. This one would emphasize more Army activities. I don‘t think that this will happen though because it would cost a lot more money, even though it could benefit the Army after the cadets would leave.

I totally agree with both of you but a cadet force something Canada is not prepared to do sure it will benefit the army but lots of people don‘t want that. And because of these people cadets in Canada is the way it is. Besides were supposed to be a peace keeping nation a "military superpower".

Fior-go-Bas :cdn:

Actually the RCAC is a CIVILIAN youth organization that is supported by the military. The Army Cadets are beginning to get more exciting training (Adventure training) and the "Powers that be" are studying attrition rates and why it is so high. They realized (finally) that the present training bores most cadets and they are beginning to develop more exciting training. Hang in there, the changes are just around the corner! :D

I was a range coach for a Cadet Corps not to long ago...with talking to one of their Officers I understand that I beleive it was just the Air Cadets just had their rifles taken away. OK, I‘ve never been a Cadet, but I see Cadet‘s as being one of biggest pools of people to find recruits. If they are to do training similar to Army training, is a rifle not a good thing to learn?

Actually, they got certain rifles taken away. Apparently the sights had a tiny bit of radioactive material in them and the safety of our cadets comes first. The "powers that be" had to rethink the training because of Insurance/safety purposes and it‘s difficult to wrap the cadet up in cotton wool and maintain a challenging training plan. From what I‘m hearing, the Adventure training (like white water rafting, mountain climbing, rapelling) has been well received by the cadet.

With this new training it should draw new people into the system wich in turn increase corps sizes.This training is the type of stuff that I have been waiting for my entire career as a cadet. At my home corps we have started a "hardore platoon" for those like myself who strive for excellence the only drawback is I have to drop playing in the duty band quite a dilema! :cdn:
Fior-go-Bas

This is actually quite debatable. While wearing your uniform and cap brass of your affiliated unit, you are subject to the Code of Service Discipline. Furthermore, when you are on contract as a Staff Cadet, you are automatically subject to rules similar to that of military personnel in the reserves or the regs running similar courses. So in essence, this concept that "cadets are civillians" will only go so far. Ever been on a range with an RSO and fire a military rifle? Screw up on that range and you will definitely not be treated like a civillian.

-the patriot- :cdn:

"While wearing your uniform and cap brass of your affiliated unit, you are subject to the Code of Service Discipline"

Sorry that‘s not true at all. Cadets don‘t fall under that they have thier own CATOs. A cadet cannot be charged through their system, it goes to civilian court.

A Cadet is not subject to the Code. a staff Cadet is bound by a body of regulations similiar to and modeled on the CSD.

If an individual is not bound by the Code of Service Discipline, is paid for their services only after reaching a contractual agreement on a case-by-case basis, and belongs to an organization which recieves a large portion of it‘s funding from sources other than the CF or DND, it may be said that the individual is not a member.

However, there is a certain grey area, as a cadet is far more involved with the CF than a lot of adult civvies. :confused:

The "Powers that Be" are messing everything up. I myself am a fifth year Air Cadet (868 Rcacs Fort McMurray) and with the introduction of the CHAP program,(Cadet Harrassment Abuse Protection) my squadron is no longer able to do wargames, two years ago we used to do manuevers with the local army cadet corps and we had a blast, we even had a few paintball wars along the line. but now with CHAP we can no longer "emulate" the military as it would present a bad image to the public. Uh i may be mistaken but the aim of the Cadet Movement is to promote an active interest in all aspects of the Canadian Armed Forces, oh wait were not armed anymore its too "militaristic"

Cadets are civilians...........period. End of story. We can talk about this until the cows come home. You are sponsored by your affiliated unit and that‘s the extent of it.

A cadet is a stepping stone to the CF and no more!!!!!!!
the way you think can we call in the cubs to that would be great serve with my son !!

Cadets are considered civilians, and right they should be. The Cadet corp of Canada serves as a usefull tool to let the youth of today grow up with a little discipline and a small understanding of the CF. As for CIL members they are there to teach these kids the book of the military, it is a shame that some of the instructors (with rank) feel that reg soldiers and dedicated reserves should treat them the same, I do have a small problem with that as in they did their tests, practiced their skills of teaching etc... yet have never left their home town. When you eat the dirt and do the time then you don‘t need to run around telling everyone how you should be respected. Please do not take this as a slam, they serve a great purpose but leave the soldiering to the soldiers. This is my point of veiw with 12 years in the Army(all reg).

Cadet = a more military informed civilian.

:rocket: :warstory:

well, seeing as i‘m still IN cadets.. (air to be exact :blotto: ) employed as a staff cadet, we are under the military code of conduct, because we are employees of dnd..we have service numbers and are employed on bases.. thats all i gotz to say.. ;) ciao!

yes, because i‘m not employed by dnd right now, and plus, i‘m not in the canadian forces..

Back