• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets vs Boy Scouts (role, "child soldiers", etc.)

echo

Inactive
Reaction score
A week ago while i was tagging for my corps, a group of about 4 or so people in their mid 20‘s said to me when i approached them to help support my corp,
"we hate the army and dont support the militrarization of youth."
this struck me as kind of rude but i shrugged it off and went about my task.
but as the evening progressed i got more and more of the same
"i dont like the army"
or "army is stupid" and "y are they doing *this* to children" comments by people of the same age group.(one man was rude enough to call us "****ing killers")
by the end of the night i belive about %40 of the people i talked to were opposed to the millitary or just misunderstood what the Cadets were (where %50 didnt care and either gave me money or didnt & %10 were interest in who we were and what we were doing (one elderly gentleman was kind enough to go across the street and buy me and my partner some timbits and coffee) )

I think that most of the general public need to be shown that the Cadets are not a full fledged millitary organization but a DND sponsored YOUTH organization.

The most common question i recieved was "whats the point of cadets?"
That really shocked me because here were parents and students whom have probably at one point in their life been in girl guides,boy scouts,a youth group or SOME kind of youth organization and they were asking me what the point of being in cadets was.

You should have told themm what the point of Cadets was. I can see what your saying about that 40%, when i went tagging I got comments like "I dont support Cadets" as if we were evil or spmething :evil: ! However most people were not too rude... Maybe thats because we live in a samll town. Also does your Corp do much community activities (e.g. Adopt a Highway) ? I know my Corp does (we won the community thing of the year award :p ) and our Corp has quite a bit of respect, maybe thats why?

my corps has done a lot of community projects in the past.
from tree planting to baricading for the santa claus parade.
we‘ve also adopted a wooded trail along the rouge vally area.

Ah, memories of tagging.

The worst I ever really had tagging is (regularly) putting up with the drunks that saunter on by. They give you the usual spiel about being in Vietnam and then with a crooked salute their on their way. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that cadets at one point in time used to be mandatory for all high school students until the mid 1960‘s. I honestly don‘t know why this is no longer the case. As a result one can see the steady decline in the behaviour of a certain percentage of young people today. As for all those people that we‘re putting you down and saying "I‘m anti-military", don‘t let them get to you. These are the same fools who don‘t realize that there are veterans who once wore Army Cadet uniforms (a whole lot of them actually). Don‘t worry about a thing. You‘re doing a lot more than some couch potato, obese whiner who sits around all day playing video games on their Sony PlayStation.

-the patriot- ;)

actually as a matter of fact,
the elderly gentleman who bought me and my friend some doughnuts was a major in the brittish army during korea.

the drunks arent too bad sometimes,
one fumbled in his pocket for 10 min looking for money while i held his whiskey for him and i ended up with a $20 bill.

Cadets are civilians as they are not members of the Canadian Forces. You may recall a couple of years ago when cadets were not allowed to be trained on or use the C7 rifle as it was classified as a prohibited weapon under the CCC.

The CIC is a different story. They are members of the Reserve Force, and hence, are members of the military.

Well i think that it‘s weird. we‘re stuck in the middle :p We‘re certainly civilians compared to the military, they‘ve been working hard to make sure of that, but can you say that you‘re as much of a civilian as your "normal" friends?

Cadets are most certainly civilians, I believe that‘s being stressed now more then ever.

According to international law, (which Canada has signed of course- we sign everything) countries are not allowed to recruit soldiers under the age 16, or use soldiers under 18 in Combat. Therefore Cadets have to be civilians. Nobody wants 15 year olds being killed in battle.

Canadian law outlines that Cadets are civilians. If they were military, they would be subject to the NDA. They are not.

Not even while in uniform do Cadets become anything more than Civilians.

:cool: Yard Ape

Cadets are a civilian youth organization. All Cadet units have to have a sponsor and many are sponsored by the Canadian Forces, or Legions. A good site to visit for information on Cadets is www.cadets.ca

Does anyone find that cadets is becoming to much like boy scouts what ever happened to good old corporal punishment?

I think there must be something wrong with me then baecause I haven‘t seemed to find my soft spot yet. I don‘t understand what happened before every kid could breeze through pushups and now there are people who struggle to get out 5 it makes me go nuts and then i get in trouble because apparently I‘m pushing the kids too hard. :mad:

I agree, that is one of the reasons I left. I tryed to improve my corps by planning FTXs that were all patrolling and one big weekend long capture the flag game. My Training Officer supported them, but not my CO (the computers officer). Then we got a new training officer from a different corps (the canteen Lt. woman) and she wouldn‘t go anywhere without proper washrooms. Despite my offerings of myself digging her a personal latrine, we never would go on an exercise.

My advice is you can‘t do anything about it, so just join the army!

I know, have the same type of problems at my corp. Our PT nightis like a game night and when we actually do PT then half our corp falls out and wont do it.

Thats why i‘m going reserves ASAP.

From Moderator- Watch your language when posting. Profanity is not needed, nor desired.

Back